Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

There is already salvage out on the floor, and online/clearance stickers take maybe two seconds to print and put on an item. Any DBO who pays attention to their product will recognize an out of place item, scan it, and ticket/salvage items. I would think by making the front end have to use the same equipment and process as the sales floor that guest services would be thrilled. Now there is literally no difference in handling the items so nobody should be bringing defectives or salvage or missed clearance to the front to be taken care of.

At my store the DBOs do keep a printer on them if they aren’t pushing a U boat. Once they start to zone and audit and idk 🤷‍♀️own their area they do have a printer on them. Plus with all of them getting to a very comfortable place with owning their price change getting them to print a ticket or salvage an item is easy. Empowering TMs can be a very good thing and my store is fortunate to have a team that prides itself on a job well done.

But where are all the printers going to magically come from? I have a hell of a time keeping one printer at the fitting room, there's no way every DBO in softlines will have their own. The big reason why a lot of time the fitting room doesn't have one is because whoever is doing price change doesn't get one of the available ones before other people grab them.

And you are so misguided to think that SF is going to just stop bringing everything to GS to defect.
Our Sr. TLs in both hardlines and softlines were always the most annoying with bring guest service a full cart of defectives 15 minutes to close. If they don’t even do it, there’s no way the rest of the team will follow.

Also, it’s just dumb to not be able to do it through pos. You can make it easier to defect on the mydevice while still keeping the pos option. Ugh.

I’m at a ULV and we have at least 12 printers. Front end has two, fitting room has one, receiving has one, there’s one just for Flexies, a back up one for Flexies, two will be used for whoever is doing price changes that day, every ETL will have one, one for Beauty, two in Electronics, with a handful for everyone else to use. And we do use them. Sometimes we use them so much we even have to share them 🤷‍♀️ If your store isn’t managing their own defectives and salvage then that’s on Leadership.

Our Sr. TLs in both hardlines and softlines were always the most annoying with bring guest service a full cart of defectives 15 minutes to close. If they don’t even do it, there’s no way the rest of the team will follow.
This almost seems like a blessing in disguise.. When they try and dump it all on you tell them it’s literally the same process on the same equipment they already have. Hell take your battery out and tell them your equipment died so they’ll have to do it themselves. It isn’t your responsibility anymore so don’t let it continue to be.

Yay for even more returned salvage and defects to just be tossed into the reshop bins!
When we taught our team how to salvage/defect we showed them where to take it in the backroom. There’s no need for it to all end up at the front of the front is just going to walk it to the back anyways.

This almost seems like a blessing in disguise.. When they try and dump it all on you tell them it’s literally the same process on the same equipment they already have. Hell take your battery out and tell them your equipment died so they’ll have to do it themselves. It isn’t your responsibility anymore so don’t let it continue to be.

Yes but aren't TLs supposed to manage and not do such menial tasks under the new system? I'm not about to be sassy and offer up that shade-filled call out.

Yes but aren't TLs supposed to manage and not do such menial tasks under the new system? I'm not about to be sassy and offer up that shade-filled call out.
I was quoting someone else and tried to offer them a solution to their TLs doing menial tasks. Never said my store has this issue 🤷‍♀️

@taytay is there ANY justification at all from POS team? (POS is an appropriate acronym for multiple reasons) This literally makes no sense why they would make our jobs harder for no reason. And this will trickle down to making salesfloor and softlines TMs jobs harder as it’ll be harder for us to catch clearance and missed salv.

It'd be nice if defecting on the device wasn't such a hot mess. It especially loves to defect the wrong item, not print the label (so you have to defect it again and throw the on-hands off), sometimes gives the wrong disposition for things that are obviously ESIM (we had drain cleaner coming up "toss"), etc. All these changes wouldn't be so bad if the new apps were easier and more convenient to use than the old ones, but they're not.

Do some stores seriously still use old hardware from the mid 80s? I'm pretty sure that a server from 1985 would be the size of 2 file cabinets side by side and draw 420 kilowatts a minute. And not to mention the availability of replacement components...loling at the thought of a Target IT contractor scouring eBay for an 8" full height 110MB SCSI drive "****L@@K !! NIB!! OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY!!!***" *adds to cart*

Hey guys I need some help. My ETL-GE recently put me in charge of doing the supply order for the front end and I have been having some trouble. We’re running out of everything. :’(

To preface this, I’m just a normal team member, so I don’t have access to SAP unless my ETL or my GSTL logs into it for me. So I have to place the order when one of them is in the store. My ETL is new in role and new to the company so he can’t help very much. My GSTL never did the order, the other GSTL who no longer works with us always did it.

I just want to know how some of you guys do it.
• How often do you place a supply order?
• How often do you order specific things? (I know it depends on how much your store goes through but I figured I would ask just because I really can’t figure this out)
• How do you know when it will come in? / Can you track the order?
• Do you have like... a list of everything you order with the SAP numbers? I feel like I can’t find some things.

Thanks for any help. I’m really sorry to ask like this but I am struggling.

I suggest a monthly order especially when bags cost as much as a car payment. You can order every day if you wanted. Work bench is a great tool for SAP orders and if you need too call other stores to ask them.

It'd be nice if defecting on the device wasn't such a hot mess. It especially loves to defect the wrong item, not print the label (so you have to defect it again and throw the on-hands off), sometimes gives the wrong disposition for things that are obviously ESIM (we had drain cleaner coming up "toss"), etc. All these changes wouldn't be so bad if the new apps were easier and more convenient to use than the old ones, but they're not.

Can confirm. I find mispicks all the time. Often the items in the box we don't sell at my store. I used to be able to take those up to guest services and they could quickly print out online only or repackage stickers so that I could put the items on a clearance end cap and get rid of them. Now it's a process to get the apps to work. Easier just to backstock that shit.

Also how do we print as is stickers for items not sold in our store but are sold at others on mydevice? (NOT online only items, that gives the option to print one, I mean like sold at the target across town but not ours)

Last edited:
There is already salvage out on the floor, and online/clearance stickers take maybe two seconds to print and put on an item. Any DBO who pays attention to their product will recognize an out of place item, scan it, and ticket/salvage items. I would think by making the front end have to use the same equipment and process as the sales floor that guest services would be thrilled. Now there is literally no difference in handling the items so nobody should be bringing defectives or salvage or missed clearance to the front to be taken care of.
It's adding a step. Take return, process, pull label, deposit. Now we will have to accumulate returns, scan, print, then sort.

Oy vey

It's adding a step. Take return, process, pull label, deposit. Now we will have to accumulate returns, scan, print, then sort.

Oy vey
ANd when the line is around the store and out the door, we’re definitely gonna have time to do this.

Whoever made this decision should have to work a shift or two at GS with this new system.

Back