Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

REDcardJJ

Team Leader
A dedicated thread for sharing tips and tricks as a cashier, cart attendant, GSA, or service desk TM.

Do your stores require guests to have government issued ID when they pick up myGo orders? Mine does (it's best practice anyway), but the other store in town does not so it's created a lot of problems with guests who can't read an email that says to bring your government issued ID with you.

Also, do your stores actually hold items? We don't without explicit approval from the LOD, and I've had many-a-guest get mad at me because I won't break policy for them.

My store requires US govt issued ID for order pick-up and for all age-restricted purchases. No Canadian, Mexican, consular, etc. Must be a state ID, drivers license or US passport.

We hold items until the close of the next business day, except for the Christmas holiday. Then there are no holds for anyone or any length of time. Except for those couple TLs who think they're above policies....

Our entire district stopped doing holds because of accuracy issues for OPU. If they need it held, they can do an OPU, and if t.com says it's "limited stock - purchase in store", then Spot doesn't want it to be able to be held. Once all the stores in the area started being consistent about it, most of the guest issues went away.

We do require an ID at my store.

The only time my store holds items are with approval fron LOD — and LOD is only supposed to approve holds if 1. the guest is on their way from another store or 2. If we have like 25 of them in the back and the guest is just being picky. No holds on items otherwise.

We require ID and I’ve had many guests blow up at me for not letting them pick up an order that their name isn’t anywhere on. Like, in what world should that be okay?

Yes we hold items, but nothing that’s high in demand or clearance, and only until we close that day. We have made exceptions sometimes, but no one has ever come the next day or the day after even though they swear they will, so there’s no point really.

Gov issued photo ID. Including license passport and public school id (did it once since it was a kid and the name matched and he could name the item)

You could call the other store near you and remind them of the policy.

We hold any non clearence or HDM item for 24 hours.

Yes to ID. However if it is someone coming in to get an item for their husband/wife/SO and they aren’t listed as an alternate, I ask that they call them so I can verify there is permission for pickup. And then let them know to put an alternate down next time they do OPU.

24 hour holds only for non-clearance or high demand merch.

Nope, not at my store. No giving orders to anyone who isn't specifically listed. Even if the last name matches. And no calling for a verbal because I have no way to prove the person on the phone is the person who"owns" the order.

We do same last name if it’s a cheaper item. High value item they have to log in and add an alternate.

If it's a pack of diapers or something cheap and the guest says "my wife placed the order" AND they know what they're picking up, I'll just process it without having the guest get added as an alternate. But for an Apple Watch or something expensive, fuck no.

also it's so annoying when they give me their ID but they're an ALTERNATE, so it isn't under their last name, then I have to pry the actual person's last name out of them

If it's a pack of diapers or something cheap and the guest says "my wife placed the order" AND they know what they're picking up, I'll just process it without having the guest get added as an alternate. But for an Apple Watch or something expensive, fuck no.

also it's so annoying when they give me their ID but they're an ALTERNATE, so it isn't under their last name, then I have to pry the actual person's last name out of them
When I search in my go, I search the alternates name and the order still pops up?

You can search the name on the ID and it will come up if they are listed as an alternate.

My store requires US govt issued ID for order pick-up and for all age-restricted purchases. No Canadian, Mexican, consular, etc. Must be a state ID, drivers license or US passport.

We hold items until the close of the next business day, except for the Christmas holiday. Then there are no holds for anyone or any length of time. Except for those couple TLs who think they're above policies....
Why no foreign ID? Is that Spot policy or store policy? I’ve used my us passport when traveling internationally to purchase alcohol (if they bother to card...)

We had a lady picking up soda. My gs tm was giving the guest a hard time and they wanted a manager so I came over looked at what she was picking up and saw it was soda. I just gave it to the guest. I told her it wasn't an high dollar value so need to make her come back with ID. Every situation is going to be different and sometimes you have to use your best judgment even if it says bring your ID.

Why no foreign ID? Is that Spot policy or store policy? I’ve used my us passport when traveling internationally to purchase alcohol (if they bother to card...)

It's their store policy. We can 100% accept Canadian and Mexican IDs directly in POS, and to process a myGo order we can use anything issued by a government as long as it has a first and last name.

Definitely store policy, and a very recent tightening down from accepting any government issued ID. There was some sort of issue with one of my coworkers, I was never told what, and I was told last week after having had a week off (I have limited availability and of course we all know hours have been tight).

And realistically, it's something that's going to be forgotten in short order, maybe already has been. When you only use an ID to check a birth date, i don't see why it matters what government issued it as long as it's not expired or fake. And maybe that was the problem, maybe someone didn't know what sorts of security features to look for on a foreign document.

Last edited:
If they have the order barcode on the phone I will scan it, ask their name, and then ask what they are picking up. If it is a low dollar amount item I will process the order. If the item is a high dollar amount I will ask for ID and make sure their name is listed for pick up.

If they have the order barcode on the phone I will scan it, ask their name, and then ask what they are picking up. If it is a low dollar amount item I will process the order. If the item is a high dollar amount I will ask for ID and make sure their name is listed for pick up.
All I’ll say about this is there is a reason after you scan a barcode it brings you to the “verify guest id” screen.

Also PSA: sometimes guests use an old email. Always check name of the email barcode doesn’t work.

I thought we could take Canadian IDs? I’m bad and will accept foreign ids for people buying alcohol if I can tell they look old enough. I just think it would suck to go on a vacation to a foreign country and not be able to buy a bottle of wine because I don’t have an id for that country. I’m in a state that gets a lot of foreign tourists though.

Always always always must have an ID. No ID no product. I had a guest all pissed off because she sent her kids to come and pick up the item and they were not on the list. She didn't walk into the store to get it herself. She finally came in, picked up the item and talked to the LOD. Fortunately the LOD backed me up 100%, even explained that the email says to bring ID.

Holds? Yeah we still do holds, but I bet I can get the STL and ETL-GE to change theirs minds based off of OPU. If they need the hold, they can use OPU. Unless of course, it's C-Spot or whatever we call it now... Spot's playground or something like that.

Lol. One time I ordered some shit online for store pickup when I was working at Walmart and they didn't ID me because they obviously knew who I was. Then they asked the woman next in line for ID and she got assmad and snarled "BUT YOU DIDN'T ID THE KID IN FRONT OF ME!!!!" at them so they had to explain that I worked there so it wasn't necessary yada yada, and she stomped off in a huff while griping to every poor sap who walked by that "everytime I come in here they inconvenience me over some bullshit" and "Making me go out to my car for my fucking ID, I don't even get ID'd at the liquor store for fucks sake!!!!" etc. It was funny as hell. Out of curiosity I looked up what she ordered later after I clocked in and it turned out to be a big ass Samsung TV for $1,300.....................................

Back