Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

For any team members that regularly works self-checkout, are you annoyed that you're expected to ask guests if they are interested in enrolling in Target Circle and keep track of how many guests sign up? My ETL has constantly been on me about that and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I was kind of hoping that this would only last until the end of October, but if we keep doing this for the foreseeable future, I'll probably lose my mind or ask to move to another department.

i wouldnt ask you to keep track but i would certainly expect you to engage every guest and try to make sure theyre doing phone # entry and also try to get redcard signups yeah

i wouldnt ask you to keep track but i would certainly expect you to engage every guest and try to make sure theyre doing phone # entry and also try to get redcard signups yeah
I try to engage with as many guests as possible (maybe I miss a few if I am already engaged with another guest about Circle and they start checking out at another register), but keeping track can be difficult at times. I also don't know if you would engage with a guest who is on their phone, I'm not sure if they want to be bothered unless they ask you for assistance.

They definitely do not engage SCO guests at my store, and that includes the TLs who cover when someone is on a break. I always use SCO and have never seen anyone approach a guest unless the light is blinking or they ask for help.

I don't see how you could engage guests like that, unless your SCO isn't busy. We have 12 SCO registers and they're pretty much always fully in use (for most of the day, anyway, and they shut down the smaller bank around 9pm once it's not busy all the time). To be frank, I'd be annoyed, as a guest, if I wasn't able to get help with an issue at the register because the SCO person was busy trying to get people to sign up for a rewards program.

We don't have people assigned to SCO. We do have those that always try to act like SCO is where they are positioned at, mostly because they don't want on a register. I would have to say that out of all our workers at front end though, there might be 3 people who actually do their job there. Meaning help guest, ask about Target Circle or Redcards, and clean up. Most are busy talking to other workers, off behind guest service, or always going to Starbucks. Our guest advocate mentor is one of the worse. She never is doing anything but flirting with our 2 GTSL's.

I try to engage with as many guests as possible (maybe I miss a few if I am already engaged with another guest about Circle and they start checking out at another register), but keeping track can be difficult at times. I also don't know if you would engage with a guest who is on their phone, I'm not sure if they want to be bothered unless they ask you for assistance.

oh i should say i’m not expecting anyone to keep track

there’s a report i can pull that shows me target app transactions broken out by register type, so it doesn’t count phone transactions but those are a small % anyway

We don't have people assigned to SCO. We do have those that always try to act like SCO is where they are positioned at, mostly because they don't want on a register. I would have to say that out of all our workers at front end though, there might be 3 people who actually do their job there. Meaning help guest, ask about Target Circle or Redcards, and clean up. Most are busy talking to other workers, off behind guest service, or always going to Starbucks. Our guest advocate mentor is one of the worse. She never is doing anything but flirting with our 2 GTSL's.

so what do your setls do. what is their boss doing. what is your sd doing

no offense but im always insanely skeptical of stories like this because it means that theres no accountability for anything going all the way up to your dsd or above

jumping into the whole self checkout/ circle debate: it definitely depends on how high volume, high theft, and how many self checkouts you have. we have 12, which makes it very hard to engage everyone. we try to make sure our advocates are constantly moving and greeting guests, but they definitely don’t have time to pitch anything and take care of guest problems in a timely manner.

also, our dsd has always been really big on watching for theft: ticket switching, not scanning, coupon fraud at sco. engaging the guest is the number one deterrence, but they definitely don’t support spending all that time with one guest trying to talk them into circle.

so what do your setls do. what is their boss doing. what is your sd doing

no offense but im always insanely skeptical of stories like this because it means that theres no accountability for anything going all the way up to your dsd or above
Are setls, and so forth are too busy doing other things in the store. So yes there is no accountability going on. Is this is why our guest service and front end is a mess. Carts blocking exit doors because they don't think it should be them moving it. I saw sco lights going off for 15 minutes today while 3 guest advocates just stood there talking to each other. 1 gstl called in, only been there a short time yet calls in a lot. Other gstl is no where to be found. I've had several conversations with both of them that this is an on going problem.

I don’t understand SNA team lead should be upfront 90% of their time. So why is your store so messed up. At my store I spent about 90% of my time watching the front, listening observing training and acknowledging my team. That’s the only wayTo make sure that our guests are taken care of.

I don’t understand SNA team lead should be upfront 90% of their time. So why is your store so messed up. At my store I spent about 90% of my time watching the front, listening observing training and acknowledging my team. That’s the only wayTo make sure that our guests are taken care of.
Ours doesn't spend very much time up front. One did about 3 months ago, but he quit. Front end is a mess at our store big time.

Since GM has taken over our check lane pogs, our endcaps and gum, mint and candy pogs have been mostly empty. It’s not the TL in charges fault. They don’t have the TMs they need do keep up with all their areas. How are you guys dealing with empty CL pogs?

we never gave it up, our only problem is that none of the gum/mints/candy/etc for the lanes is ever located which means filling my checklanes can take a very long time depending on how nice the inbound team felt like being to me :)

Since GM has taken over our check lane pogs, our endcaps and gum, mint and candy pogs have been mostly empty. It’s not the TL in charges fault. They don’t have the TMs they need do keep up with all their areas. How are you guys dealing with empty CL pogs?
Ours is almost completely empty on all lanes.

I knew that wouldn't last.

Our store is great with candy. One woman "owns the area" (my words bc she is always doing it), but even when she has taken vacation other TMs have been up front with a uboat. It's one thing that is actually working at my store.

I woke up last having a night mare about the front end. I don't remember the specific but there was a GSA and an SETL.

I think the hardest part is communications. It's tough to constantly be switching roles up front. Sometimes the SETL wants to call backup, sometimes not. Sometimes they like to run breaks, sometimes not. Etc.

Makes things harder than they need to be.

I love the short shifts. Easier to to not care.

I would love to take back front lane stocking from GM. We have more spare time on our hands than GM does. I like to task at the checklanes so I can observe my cashiers without just staring at them all day. Give it baaaaack

it was forced back into my hands by my store director. i don’t want it.

We (SETLs and old GSAs) still do checklane endcaps, and gum, mint and candy. Bullseye has luckily been given to dedicated GM team member with us helping out as often as we can or when it’s really empty because bullseye tm got pulled to do something else.

We (SETLs and old GSAs) still do checklane endcaps, and gum, mint and candy. Bullseye has luckily been given to dedicated GM team member with us helping out as often as we can or when it’s really empty because bullseye tm got pulled to do something else.

We lost one of our great SETMs to be a BP expert in GM... but we still help her. We have another who is pretty much dedicated to Batteries and candy, eating up SE hours.

Back