Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Just a heads up in case anyone tries to return airpods, because I was on the other end of this last week, lol. I tried to return a pair of airpods, and the lady at GS opened it to check the serial number to see if it matches. Apparently, each individual AirPod has a different serial number than what’s on the box. They were really confused and had to call AP over, but after I showed them a few articles online about the topic they let me process the return. As long as the serial number on the airpods case matches, it’s legit.

I don’t even know why they opened it though, it was sealed lol.
Also make sure they’re actual airpods

I use apply pay religiously and I’ve returned stuff at target before. I can’t speak for any other card service though. Also I did a research paper on mobile wallets and it’s not a unique card number everything it’s just a unique “token” that gets approved or not. Still your card number.
It's both a token and a "fake" card number.

I've had quite a few Guests who bring their receipt or the Wallet barcode, I process, and as procedure I've developed, I always say, "okay so $XX.YY will go back on your <Card Brand> ending in 1234, is that okay?" before I hit K1 Recommended Refund. And they'll look at me and go, "huh? I don't have a card ending in that number!" and I'll ask if they used Apple/Samsung Pay and they always say "oh yeah I did!"

Just a heads up in case anyone tries to return airpods, because I was on the other end of this last week, lol. I tried to return a pair of airpods, and the lady at GS opened it to check the serial number to see if it matches. Apparently, each individual AirPod has a different serial number than what’s on the box. They were really confused and had to call AP over, but after I showed them a few articles online about the topic they let me process the return. As long as the serial number on the airpods case matches, it’s legit.

I don’t even know why they opened it though, it was sealed lol.
This frustrates me, opening seals on tvs, remotes, iPads, etc. and we inspect these items hardcore in front of the guest, sometimes I feel it’s warranted if it’s a repeat guest but yet returns without receipts, gift card scammers, coupon abusers, guests that you see grab an armful of items and come straight to desk to return we do nothing about.. anyone working at the service desk should be able to tell whether or not it’s a factory seal or one that’s iffy. If you cant tell the difference in a guest and a fraud, you should not be at the returns counter.

This frustrates me, opening seals on tvs, remotes, iPads, etc. and we inspect these items hardcore in front of the guest, sometimes I feel it’s warranted if it’s a repeat guest but yet returns without receipts, gift card scammers, coupon abusers, guests that you see grab an armful of items and come straight to desk to return we do nothing about.. anyone working at the service desk should be able to tell whether or not it’s a factory seal or one that’s iffy. If you cant tell the difference in a guest and a fraud, you should not be at the returns counter.
Nope check everything. Anything returned with the possibility of containing personal information needs to be defected anyway. Plenty of scammers have tools to reseal and give the appearance of never being opened

They open it even though it is sealed because scammers have access to plastic shrink wrappers. If they have one it costs less than 3 cents to open up a package take out and/or replace the contents and reseal before returning.
Yeah good point, scammers are very sophisticated these days. But yeah, each AirPod has a unique number so keep that in mind.

Yeah good point, scammers are very sophisticated these days. But yeah, each AirPod has a unique number so keep that in mind.
I had the same issue with a smart home camera. I checked the serial number on the camera itself and it didn’t match. Told the guy sorry this doesn’t match and he starts looking at it and pulling all the pieces and hands me the hub that plugs into your router. That serial number matches so I also googled it and the great internet said only the smart hub will match the serial number. I get why manufacturers do that for their purpose but it’s annoying for retailers

It's both a token and a "fake" card number.

I've had quite a few Guests who bring their receipt or the Wallet barcode, I process, and as procedure I've developed, I always say, "okay so $XX.YY will go back on your <Card Brand> ending in 1234, is that okay?" before I hit K1 Recommended Refund. And they'll look at me and go, "huh? I don't have a card ending in that number!" and I'll ask if they used Apple/Samsung Pay and they always say "oh yeah I did!"
thats why I typically just say card brand. "$XX is going back onto your visa"

Does Target charge a fee if a guest gets cash back or is that determined by the bank/card company the guest uses? I was under the impression that the guest only has to worry about how much cash they are getting back but I'm not 100% sure.

I've seen a few threads on this but how do you explain the SquareTrade protection plan benefits to guests who are interested in them? If they register, do the guests get a replacement if something happens to their item or will a technician come to their house to fix it for them? How does it work depending on which kind of item the guest is buying?

Does Target charge a fee if a guest gets cash back or is that determined by the bank/card company the guest uses? I was under the impression that the guest only has to worry about how much cash they are getting back but I'm not 100% sure.

I've seen a few threads on this but how do you explain the SquareTrade protection plan benefits to guests who are interested in them? If they register, do the guests get a replacement if something happens to their item or will a technician come to their house to fix it for them? How does it work depending on which kind of item the guest is buying?
Target charges no fee for cash back at POS.

For square trade, I describe it as a warranty. I just say after the return period ends, contact squaretrade with receipt info for details on what to do. Do not bring item back to store.

Square trade needs to have an email for it & starts 3 days after purchase.
The reciept fades over time so I always recommend that they register right away because it asks for specific reciept info. Also they should be able to purchase the protection a few day after but the process is different it doesnt seem to link the reciept to the plan so can you explain how it works for them to purchase the plan afterwards.
That's a good idea, @MechanicWife.

From square trade website:
Registration (optional)
You don't need to register for your plan to be active or to file a claim.

Steps to Register:
1) Wait 3 days if you just bought your plan.*
2) Click here or go to squaretrade.com/register. We’ll start by finding your plan.
3) Have your receipt on hand in case you need to upload it.

*We need to wait up to 3 days for the retailer to provide necessary information to complete registration.

Learn About Your Coverage

What does my plan cover and when does my coverage start?
If the protected item is damaged and SquareTrade determines it can be repaired, 100% of the cost of parts and labor is covered. If your item can’t be repaired, SquareTrade will contact you to discuss replacement options.

Square trade plans coverage:
SquareTrade Protection Plans protect your product against mechanical and electrical breakdowns including those due to normal wear and tear. The plan also offers the following benefits:
  • Parts and labor coverage to repair or replace your item during the term of the plan.
  • Surge Protection: Covers your product from the date of purchase.
  • Accidental Damage from Handling: Coverage for headphones, cameras, video cameras, MP3 Players, eReaders, laptops, tablets and netbooks, and select portable electronics only. This coverage protects you from failures from spills, drops and cracked screens.
  • No Lemon Policy: If your covered product has two (2) service repairs completed for the same problem and a third (3rd) repair is needed for the same problem, within any twelve (12) month period, the covered product will be replaced with a comparable product or a cash settlement will be provided in the form of a Target GiftCard or check. The cost of the replacement will not exceed the product’s original purchase price less taxes paid.
The term of the SquareTrade Protection Plan begins on the date it is purchased and is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty. Except for enhanced coverage, all other coverage begins at the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty. The term of the plan continues for the period of 2 or 3 years, depending on the plan you purchased as indicated on your receipt

Target charges no fee for cash back at POS.

For square trade, I describe it as a warranty. I just say after the return period ends, contact squaretrade with receipt info for details on what to do. Do not bring item back to store.
Yes, I tried to explain it that way but the guest wanted to know details about what they could do if their vacuum broke down. I just checked SquareTrade's website and it has some details but it said they will reimburse you with a replacement or provide a replacement if they can't repair your appliance, so it sounds like fixing it is their first option.

Last edited:
Yes, I tried to explain it that way but the guest wanted to know details about what they could do if their vacuum broke down. I just checked SquareTrade's website and it has some details but it they will reimburse you with a replacement or provide a replacement if they can't repair your appliance, so it sounds like fixing it is their first option.
You send it to them, they attempt a repair, replace if they can’t.

They open it even though it is sealed because scammers have access to plastic shrink wrappers. If they have one it costs less than 3 cents to open up a package take out and/or replace the contents and reseal before returning.
My store opens sealed packages because we’ve been burned before by scammers. This protects both the store and anyone who buys it afterwards if it’s put back on the shelf. You wouldn’t believe how many scammers come to my store on an average week.

Yup I’ve been badly burned before, I opened the box for an Xbox one and it was perfectly sealed so I didn’t really check, gave the guest over $500 in cash and my coworker was scolding me (rightfully so lol) for not checking the serial numbers so to humor her I pulled the console out, tore open the plastic wrapping and lo and behold it was an Xbox 360 😔

Yup I’ve been badly burned before, I opened the box for an Xbox one and it was perfectly sealed so I didn’t really check, gave the guest over $500 in cash and my coworker was scolding me (rightfully so lol) for not checking the serial numbers so to humor her I pulled the console out, tore open the plastic wrapping and lo and behold it was an Xbox 360 😔
We had a ™ get burned by fake AirPods. To be fair, they looked real. We now have photos of what real ones look like at the desk.

I had one of my TMs return a Dyson box with rocks in it....

The, 15% off baby registry coupon isn’t working. It says, no eligible items when we scan it. We’re having to manually take 15% off every item. Anyone else having trouble with this? You

The, 15% off baby registry coupon isn’t working. It says, no eligible items when we scan it. We’re having to manually take 15% off every item. Anyone else having trouble with this? You
stupid question but you are making sure the items are eligible right? It’s only stuff on the registry, as well as the usual brand name exclusions

stupid question but you are making sure the items are eligible right? It’s only stuff on the registry, as well as the usual brand name exclusions
I ALWAYS had trouble when I was up front with the 15% remaining item coupon for the baby registries. It was hit or miss, sometimes it was simple because it wasn’t the exact item on the registry but I typically would verify it was and it still didn’t work. I never found a solution and just manually did it

Yes! It’s always been glitchy for me and a lot of times wouldn’t work, but it was hit or miss. Lately, I haven’t had one work! Every time I end up just scanning the registry and taking 15% of as a missed circle off each item that comes up on the registry.

Back