Archived coaching question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is considered to be coaching? Will to many coaching leads to corrective action?

Last edited:
If you're being repeatedly coached on the same thing then yes, that's a corrective action coming up.

Does anyone mind clarifying the coaching/CA policy? I understand that now there is no second final. If you're on a final, and you violate it, you're actually fired, but I'm confused about the 3 coachings leading to a CA policy. Do the coachings all have to be on the same policy? For example, if you give a team member a PDD for attendance and then another for performance and then another for attendance, should that third PDD actually be a CA?

Does anyone mind clarifying the coaching/CA policy? I understand that now there is no second final. If you're on a final, and you violate it, you're actually fired, but I'm confused about the 3 coachings leading to a CA policy. Do the coachings all have to be on the same policy? For example, if you give a team member a PDD for attendance and then another for performance and then another for attendance, should that third PDD actually be a CA?

Unless it changed you have to be a final for the same problem ei. Attendance, performance to be termed. So 3 attendance issues can lead to termination.

This is in the handbook but yet I received a CCA after only one coaching. This was for some bullshit TalkBack to a TM
Might depend on the severity of your actions. And sometimes they won’t come out and say your coached or necessarily bring you into the office.

Okay, that's helpful. So fellow team leads, does that we always have to consult with HR before giving a PDD in case it's in regards to the same issue?

This is in the handbook but yet I received a CCA after only one coaching. This was for some bullshit TalkBack to a TM

A coaching is any conversation you have with management on something that has been done wrong or needs to improve. A PDD can, but does not always go with a coaching. My preferred way to PDD when managing out poor performance is for failure to follow instructions. I have a coaching conversation on an aspect of performance, then the PDD is written when I have to remind them about the thing they aren't doing. That way my PDD has the date of the performance discussion and date of the follow-up which I prefer so there is no way someone could be caught unaware.

To be considered a coaching the discussion must be written up, correct?

Is there a simple way to check where a TM stands? Whether it's coachings or corrective actions, to check how many of their "strikes" they have used?

Is there a simple way to check where a TM stands? Whether it's coachings or corrective actions, to check how many of their "strikes" they have used?

Yes this is exactly what I'm wondering. I know I save all the coachings for our work center's team members on a drive so that I can keep track of them.

I guess I'm a confused. A coaching isn't always necessarily documented as a PDD?

If you’re a Team Leader or above, you can ask the HR team to send you all the disciplinary action on file for a specific team member so you know where they stand.

There is a report HR can run that tells you how many coachings a tm has and the expiration dates.

I guess I'm a confused. A coaching isn't always necessarily documented as a PDD?

You can verbally coach someone without writing them up.

Its 2 attendance issues ->CA->Final now

Actually they need two correctives before you can put them on a final. And it has to be for the same category. So they need to both be for performance or both be for conduct.

There are a couple issues (conduct) that can go straight to final. Attendance falls under performance

Disorderly conduct and safety issues would go directly to a final?

How long are the expiration dates for a coaching?

I still feel confused. I feel like I would have to consult with HR every time I'd need to coach someone which would make it more difficult to do it on the spot?

'Coaching' in Target terms is basically the final step before CCA. When you have given someone more than enough opportunities to improve and there is no other path forward other than a CCA, you need to start documenting your coachings. I do 'on the spot coachings' almost every day I work, but I wouldn't consider them a 'coaching' in the Target sense of the word because I'm just developing TMs to get better, and I don't document any of these. If you have a TM who just won't improve something specific and you have followed up with this TM frequently, then start documenting your coachings. Follow up every shift until they fix the issue.
3 documented coachings warrent a CCA. Several more coachings after the CCA warrent a final. Finally, and apparently there was just a change to this procedure, the next coaching after a final is a term.
Keep in mind that, in order to term off of a single issue, that issue must be specific. You're bacially building a case against the TM with your coachings. There are hundreds of ways someone can get a coaching for being unproductive, but unless a TM is repeatedly doing the same specific thing wrong, you need to start a new 'case.'
The thing that is confusing is the type of coaching you are issuing and the term limits to each of these. Basically, unless it's a conduct issue (which includes NCNS), the TM gets a million opportunities to fix the problem. Unless that TM is just a lazy bum, they will fix the issue before ever coming close to a CCA. 99% of the time you'll be doing productivity/attendance coachings, if you have a conduct one, or a major safety violation, partner with HR on how to proceed.

Thank you SrTLall! You made it feel less overwhelming.

'Coaching' in Target terms is basically the final step before CCA. When you have given someone more than enough opportunities to improve and there is no other path forward other than a CCA, you need to start documenting your coachings. I do 'on the spot coachings' almost every day I work, but I wouldn't consider them a 'coaching' in the Target sense of the word because I'm just developing TMs to get better, and I don't document any of these. If you have a TM who just won't improve something specific and you have followed up with this TM frequently, then start documenting your coachings. Follow up every shift until they fix the issue.
3 documented coachings warrent a CCA. Several more coachings after the CCA warrent a final. Finally, and apparently there was just a change to this procedure, the next coaching after a final is a term.
Keep in mind that, in order to term off of a single issue, that issue must be specific. You're bacially building a case against the TM with your coachings. There are hundreds of ways someone can get a coaching for being unproductive, but unless a TM is repeatedly doing the same specific thing wrong, you need to start a new 'case.'
The thing that is confusing is the type of coaching you are issuing and the term limits to each of these. Basically, unless it's a conduct issue (which includes NCNS), the TM gets a million opportunities to fix the problem. Unless that TM is just a lazy bum, they will fix the issue before ever coming close to a CCA. 99% of the time you'll be doing productivity/attendance coachings, if you have a conduct one, or a major safety violation, partner with HR on how to proceed.

Disorderly conduct and safety issues would go directly to a final?

It depends on the actual offense. You should always partner with HR before you issue any CA or Final since HR has to sign off approval.

Unsafe acts can be a corrective or a final depending on the severity.

How long are the expiration dates for a coaching

Usually six months. On a FW it's a year.

So once on a final it's pretty much over for that team member? 1 full year without one little mistake or it's a termination? I can't see ANYONE escaping that.

Conduct is easier to overcome than performance. Now it is even harder.

So once on a final it's pretty much over for that team member? 1 full year without one little mistake or it's a termination? I can't see ANYONE escaping that.
A TM really has to not care to end up on a final, so if someone makes it that far, then they get no sympathy from me. Also, unless a TM is a complete screw up and on a final for multiple CCAs, it's possible to avoid the term. A final is pretty serious and also fairly specific, so it's not like making 'one little mistake' is the determining factor, it's the culmination of A LOT of mistakes.

PDDs have to go through HR because they go into the TMs file. Unless it's for something like being on time it isn't likely to be for the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back