Corporate Dear Corporate...

This isn’t really directed at corporate, but to the individual leadership at my store-

PLEASE BRING BACK DEDICATED SIGNING SHIFTS FOR AD TAKEDOWN. When you make everyone responsible for ad takedown in their own department, you’re splitting the responsibility among like 6 people. That’s risky. Last Sunday morning, I had to take down HBA and Chemicals signs because they weren’t taken down the night before. Have one responsible team member do it Saturday nights.
I always thought a color stripe for takedown date would make takedown quicker, easier and more accurate. Kind of like your car inspection sticker, green for this week, yellow for next, blue for the following. ‘’All green stripe signs off tonight’’, or whenever u walk past them during the week if missed.

My guess is cause the schedule is made with the belief that the new tm can get done what you can when you are there, but they can’t so when they don’t perform then you are called in to pick up the slack to do what they should have done but didn’t.

Or what they could have done, but couldn't.

I always thought a color stripe for takedown date would make takedown quicker, easier and more accurate. Kind of like your car inspection sticker, green for this week, yellow for next, blue for the following. ‘’All green stripe signs off tonight’’, or whenever u walk past them during the week if missed.
Oh I agree. Unfortunately that won’t fix laziness. They should have one dependable team member take down signs for the entire store on Saturday nights. You can’t make seasonal team members responsible for ad takedown. It doesn’t work.

Do you

Spend your time finding solutions instead of complaining. Do your part to fix it. Change is hard but there must be a way to make it work. Different is not always wrong.
There is no room to do our part to fix it. With corporate it's the Nazi agenda, comply or die. Don't wanna do it this way? Get out well find someone who will. Part of why tms aren't being promoted anymore and our new managers are coming from outside the company.

Stocking should be complete before 10 am at the latest.

A dedicated flow team that comes in early (or over night) should be stocking.

Then have a dedicated team member for a few departments/aisles to do stuff like help guests, shoot Audits, touch up endcaps, etc -- you know, how it used to be when we had a bunch of TLs on the floor before the slashing of the positions.

Don't dismantle the specialty teams like Flow, BR, POG, Pricing. They should be like ninjas. Highly trained.

Stop flooding the stores with so much softlines product. It just sits in the BR 'cause the floor is full, no one has time (or bothers to restock the floor) cause they are so busy pushing the new truck, helping guests, doing reshop, zoning, etc.

Go back to allowing us to have payroll to zone through out the day, and push autofills/reshop/help guests. Gives us zoners for the closing shifts, too.
I'm even fine with Beauty, A&A, Electronics, and Market being pushed by its salesfloor teams because, when given the time to zone and do the job correctly, it does actually work out better that way. But we still need a dedicated stocking team at 4am. There's no reason you can't have some salesfloor people (softlines, market, whatever a store needs) come in at 4am (or even 6am), help with sort, and stay until 12:30 (or 2:30) (spending the second half of their shift on the salesfloor).

I'm even fine with Beauty, A&A, Electronics, and Market being pushed by its salesfloor teams because, when given the time to zone and do the job correctly, it does actually work out better that way. But we still need a dedicated stocking team at 4am. There's no reason you can't have some salesfloor people (softlines, market, whatever a store needs) come in at 4am (or even 6am), help with sort, and stay until 12:30 (or 2:30) (spending the second half of their shift on the salesfloor).

That's not happening at my store.

Trucks are rolling over in some areas - aka not being finished. Backroom is a mess in some areas.

In Market, U-boats are in the way.

Softlines is so time consuming, that the dedicated breakout team and stocking team should be done by 10 am, too. After that - helping guests, and tending to the fitting room, returns/reshop, and zone - should be a main focus. Not stocking and detrashing product from the truck.

Do you

Spend your time finding solutions instead of complaining. Do your part to fix it. Change is hard but there must be a way to make it work. Different is not always wrong.

:sigh:

My solutions are for corporate to stop fucking up the stores in a manner with which makes it difficult for us to function. We are here to sell stuff. Getting in the guests way (team members pushing product from an over stuffed U-boat that is blocking the aisle) while they are shopping is counter productive. Taking an entire day to stock the shelves is unproductive. Giving us way too much product is unproductive (over filling the floor, and cluttering the BR) - looking at you Shoes and Softlines.

There is a 'way to make it work' - give us the PayRoll to make it work.

Last edited:
Dear Corporate.......please figure out a way to stop TMs from having to stock the floor while we guests are trying to shop. TMs are friendly and helpful, but getting to the item I need shouldn't require me to leave my cart in the main aisle so I can sneak in to buy a product. (not allowing the time to browse and buy something else.)

If guests are the priority then make shopping easy for us. I'm sure that it is more costly to have the stocking done overnight, but stocking during the day means fewer guests coming to shop and spend money......with their RedCard!

So, My suggestion is to decide which is more important.....stocking shelves during the day (not good for guests)......or having plenty of room for guests so we can spend MONEY.

If money and guests are the priority then please "make it so."

Dear Corporate-

These events [lol, paw patrol, mindcraft...] just piss parents off when certain stores don't follow directions on WB or the select give aways are at certain stores. You could invest more money into these events and give payroll for them. Happy kids=happy parents who will spend money...

That's not happening at my store.

Trucks are rolling over in some areas - aka not being finished. Backroom is a mess in some areas.

In Market, U-boats are in the way.

Softlines is so time consuming, that the dedicated breakout team and stocking team should be done by 10 am, too. After that - helping guests, and tending to the fitting room, returns/reshop, and zone - should be a main focus. Not stocking and detrashing product from the truck.
For Softlines sort (breakout?) at my store one of us is scheduled 6 or 6:30a until 10:30a or 11a. The other is 7a to 11a or 11:30a. Sometimes until noon. It still isn't getting done. Today we had one TM from 6:30a-8:30a, another from 6:30a-10:30a, and a third from 7a-11a. Still had 30+ repacks left after 11, but no one was asked to extend. One of us (me) is a salesfloor TM, and I'm supposed to go to the salesfloor after sort, but "we don't have the payroll right now." In Q4. On Black Friday week. Everything is sorted and detrashed in the backroom so that all softlines salesfloor team has to do is place items on shelves and racks and zones as we go. But our leadership expects 2 people to get sorted what we used to have at least 4 or 5 people do. In less time, with less room to move around. And we have to have a more detailed sort than we did before.

Our whole damn backroom is a mess, we couldn't even get to the baler this morning and the fire tunnel is completely full. Can't even get to the damn bathroom or drinking fountain back there. No one knew where the wave was for at least an hour. EVERY store is like that.

I was talking to CORPORATE. Not my fellow TMs. I know it's not happening at your store, because it's not happening at most stores. E2E worked at a few test stores, so corporate decided it would work everywhere. I was sharing what I thought worked and what I thought could be better.

What sucks the most for my store, is that we had one of the most successful truck processes in our district, and our area probably should have been changing to become more like our process because that's what works around here. What works in one district doesn't necessarily work in every district.

Edit:
I do think that a FEW PARTS of E2E are good. I like the idea of A&A pushing their truck. For me in particular, doing sort and salesfloor allows me to know exactly what we got in that day on the truck (when a guest is looking for something specific) and knowing exactly where something goes on the floor and the expectations of how apparel should look when it hits the floor (which needs to happen during sort).

My issue is that the company is expecting us all to do at least double the amount of work in half the time. Somehow, they think that increasing our pay suddenly makes us superhuman. It suddenly gives us super speed or two additional arms. They aren't being realistic and they aren't allowing each store to fine tune their own processes. THAT is the problem.

Last edited:
Dear Corporate,

Sit down with TM’s, listen, and watch how things are actually done in the stores before implementing more craziness and making all of our jobs unnecessarily more difficult yet again. Thanks.

Respectfully,
A TL that has seen too many bad decisions made by people that have never worked in stores.

EDIT: See below.

E9A63D52-2DDB-4898-8A6A-A5FF32E68862.jpeg

Last edited:
Dear Corporate,

Please move HR TMs into a higher pay grade than Cashiers and actually give us the payroll (and yes, a little OT as necessary for HR SR TLs) to properly onboard dozens of Seasonal TMs on top of our normal Q4 workload. You’re losing a lot of the best people in this position to higher paying jobs with more realistic workloads.

PS- Workday didn’t decrease the workload, it made it worse. Also, HRBPs need better training and more in store experience to be better at their jobs. I’ve seen some amazing APBPs, but not one HR on that level who knows much at all.

Last edited:
The optimistic part of me hopes some good will come from this. Like it will plant a seed in SOMEONE's mind to make changes that are actually helpful.

The pessimistic side though.....
Laughing-Men-In-Suits.jpg

Dear Corporate,

Please move HR TMs into a higher pay grade than Cashiers and actually give us the payroll (and yes, a little OT as necessary for HR SR TLs) to properly onboard dozens of Seasonal TMs on top of our normal Q4 workload. You’re losing a lot of the best people in this position to higher paying jobs with more realistic workloads.

PS- Workday didn’t decrease the workload, it made it worse. Also, HRBPs need better training and more in store experience to be better at their jobs. I’ve seen some amazing APBPs, but not one HR on that level who knows much at all.
Also let someone in HR or department heads write their own schedules. My STL has no damn clue what she's doing and takes out her personal feelings about me on my schedule.

Also let someone in HR or department heads write their own schedules. My STL has no damn clue what she's doing and takes out her personal feelings about me on my schedule.

If you see a systematic bias against you on the schedule that isn’t backed up by documented performance issues or a limited availability, I would consider talking to your HR leader per open door policy about it and see what they can find out.

If you see a systematic bias against you on the schedule that isn’t backed up by documented performance issues or a limited availability, I would consider talking to your HR leader per open door policy about it and see what they can find out.
She'll either say it's because my availability isn't great (which to be fair, it isn't; but it's better than most in softlines, and I'm trained in other [at least 5] workstations and have said I'm willing to learn ANY work station [I keep mentioning SFS, but nothing, and I've been mentioning that since our store started it], even help the PMT with stuff if he needs) or that "we don't have the hours right now" which is just her parroting our STL. But a lot of team members with worse availability and second jobs still get more hours than I do.

I've gotten bad reviews before, but my immediate TLs always tell me that they don't write the reviews, the STL does, and that I actually do an exceptional job. I even mentioned being interested in a TL position to one of my ETLs and she seemed really excited about it. My STL just really hates me.

Last edited:
She'll either say it's because my availability isn't great (which to be fair, it isn't; but it's better than most in softlines, and I'm trained in other [at least 5] workstations and have said I'm willing to learn ANY work station [I keep mentioning SFS, but nothing, and I've been mentioning that since our store started it], even help the PMT with stuff if he needs) or that "we don't have the hours right now" which is just her parroting our STL. But a lot of team members with worse availability and second jobs still get more hours than I do.

I've gotten bad reviews before, but my immediate TLs always tell me that they don't write the reviews, the STL does, and that I actually do an exceptional job. I even mentioned being interested in a TL position to one of my ETLs and she seemed really excited about it. My STL just really hates me.
Dear Corporate,
Why do you keep leaders who are bullies and have no clue about how to treat subordinates? High morale equals high productivity. When certain leaders have extremely low retention rates among their subordinates, why do you continue to hemorrhage talent and waste on boarding payroll on new TMs who quickly leave instead of addressing the problem and remove the bully? These leader’s shenanigans cost the company a fortune yet they remain in position. Why?

Dear Corporate,
Why do you keep leaders who are bullies and have no clue about how to treat subordinates? High morale equals high productivity. When certain leaders have extremely low retention rates among their subordinates, why do you continue to hemorrhage talent and waste on boarding payroll on new TMs who quickly leave instead of addressing the problem and remove the bully? These leader’s shenanigans cost the company a fortune yet they remain in position. Why?
To be fair, we think they were working on performancing her out but have to put it on hold for...a certain reason. It's a common enough reason, but I'm worried that if I say the reason, someone might figure out who my STL is and I won't stay anonymous on here. Only time will tell, I guess?

Anyway, I'm too stubborn to leave just yet, so if she is performanced out, I will be trying to get my former TMs to come back. Especially if I'm made a TL.

Back