Service & Engagement Defectives

Hello! I’m new to tbr but I’ve been working at Target for +1 year. I’m a Guest Advocate, mostly at Guest Services but sometimes the checklanes. I have 2 questions. 1. We have pretty limited space and especially when there are long lines we end up just putting items either on the short wall behind us or on the table where the registry iPads are located. This is a problem for so many reasons. I wish we had a dedicated place to put items that need to be defected so they aren’t in the way until we can get to them and so they don’t end up back in reshop (which happens too often). What do other stores do or are we the only ones who can’t get their act together? 2. At GS, how do you communicate things with your opening team members? I only close and often I find product lying around with no note or I’ll have a guest come about something they talked to an opening TM about and I have no clue what they are talking about. I’ve brought this up to my TL but nothing has changed. Again, what do other stores do? Is there anything I can do to make either of these situations better as only a Guest Advocate? Thank you!

You just gotta defect as you go. Try not to accumulate a huge pile. After each guest take a minute to sort their stuff. If there are defective items try to get the sticker printed and even placed if the printer is nearby while doing the transaction so when you’re done you just have to put it in salvage. Work as a team, if there are already like 3 people on a register, before you go on one clear the counter help sort and put away their defectives.

On really busy days it could be harder to sort in between guests and once that pile starts it’s only gonna get worse. We once had a pile of clothes against the wall stacked from the floor and went up like 5.5 feet.

If it gets bad and makes it hard to even walk to and from the registers grab a cart and throw everything in it and put it off to the side just to temporarily declutter the area and make more space. That cart will just be full of reshop/defectives that your team can sort through when you get time.

We defect as we go and put the reshop in the right bin as we go. If we can't handle it before we take the next guest, we are supposed to press the additional cashier buttons.

Thank you for your responses! I’m going to talk to my TL when I go in today. Hopefully we can work out a better process. Have a good day!

Back