Discount Order

What order are discounts applied in? For example, if I wanted to use the $20 off $75 apparel purchase. Does my balance need to be $75 BEFORE applying my team member and red card discounts? Or is the team member discount taken off first and the remaining balance needs to be $75?

And just to clarify, it's 20% C9 items and 10% off everything else on your receipt?

And can I use all 3 (coupon, team member 10%, red card 5%) on black friday items?

Sorry for all the questions. Christmas is tight this year and I'm trying to make the most of it with black friday (or early access wednesday, technically).

Last edited:
you can always use ™ discount/redcard discount on anything except alcohol prescriptions and target gift cards (and other gift cards for ™ discount).

C9/Healthy items is actually more than 20%-- you get 20% off, then your normal 10%.

Edited to include Red Card discount.

========

Late to the game, but figuring out your discount is part simple math, part "Ms. Jones always told me that I'd use this math someday" plus/minus grouping.

So you are a TM and you are wanting to know your discount prior to checking out. And you are buying a nice collection of items.

C9 leggings - $25
Simply Balanced tilapia fillets that are on Circle - $7 plus 5%
Up & Up body wash that is on Circle - $4 plus 5%
Pantene shampoo and conditioner - $5 each
Tide Pods on Circle - $12 plus 10%
Up & Up bleach that is on Circle - $2 plus 5%

State sales tax is 4%. You are paying with your Red Card.

The numbers to punch in your phone (in scientific mode) that will bring it within pennies of being right is:

((((25+(7*0.95)*0.8)+((4+2)*0.95)+(12*0.9)+(5+5))*0.9)*0.95)*1.04=total bill

Or, so you can recreate it while shopping -

(Hint - calculate what you will pay after the discounts are taken out, not what your discounts are.)
Group the veggies discount together and the non veggies discount together. Figure them separately. Within each grouping, then group together items with the same Circle percent off, and figure those totals separately.

As above, C9 and tilapia are together, but tilapia has a discount figured in before being added to C9. Bleach is with body wash because they both have a 5% offer. Bleach, body wash, Tide pods, shampoo and conditioner are all added together separately from C9 and tilapia.​

Then the two groups are added together and the cost after TM discount is figured. Then Red Card discount. Finally, a little brain wrapping, figure out what you will pay after sales tax, not what sales tax is. So with 4% sales tax, you will pay 104% of the end total, or 1.04.

It can be tricky, if you have more than a hand basket of items, trying to figure out where a parenthesis should be placed, but with Google docs you could create a spreadsheet for on the go. When I was trying to figure out exactly where my money was going I had a very long spreadsheet. Entering all items individually into my spreadsheet would result in an end total less than a dollar different from the receipt end total, and a lot of times it was a perfect total match.

Last edited:
I love those target circle exclusive discounts really adds up..some people say that %10 tm discount isnt much but i like stacking it with circle and healthy 20 percent wellness as well as 70 to 90 percent clearance.i never have to buy christmas wrapping paper for the next few years lol.this one co-worker is always amazed at the the stuff I get and how I use my discounts to get a really good deal.

@Tessa120 i dont know why...but it is a pet peeve for me..really irritates me when a guest asks me how much something is after tax.they want me to calculate the total plus sales tax minus red card...uuughhh...i feel like they should be able to crunch the number themselves in their smart phones. I hate doing the math for them. Its never perfect since i am in CA and electronics items have a seperate recycling fee tacked onto them. Seems to be "around 7 dollars " i don't know why I am so annoyed by it.

People should be able to figure their own crap out - laziness and/or stupidity.

I have never asked a salesperson how much something will be because I know how to do basic math and use a calculator.

Back