Archived Discount works after termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already tried, you can’t.

Since when was defrauding a business legal? Your lying to receive a discount...that’s fraud. Yea you have a 99% chance that you won’t get caught and nothing will ever happen, but that’s not my point here. My point is that it’s still ethically wrong and probably illegal.
I mean, I can't really disagree with you, but it's a tough situation if the app automatically puts your team member number in and also doesn't let you delete it. It sounds like Target is forcing you to either boycott them or defraud them...

I noticed that when I went to target last week and used the new wallet thing that it applied my tm discount also and I quit over a month ago. Had no idea, heck, I didn’t even know it wouldn’t automatically pay from the app but I would feel shady if I did it again knowing that it would happen.

I noticed that when I went to target last week and used the new wallet thing that it applied my tm discount also and I quit over a month ago. Had no idea, heck, I didn’t even know it wouldn’t automatically pay from the app but I would feel shady if I did it again knowing that it would happen.
It even shows the discount on your receipt?

Just to be clear, did you check your receipt to make sure the discount went through? It seems like a reasonable glitch for Target to automatically put your discount in the app, but the crazy part would be if it actually works.

Yes it was on my reciept!

Taking advantage of anything can still be considered theft. I know what your saying, but that discount is issued on the agreement that your an active or retired employee of Target. Using outside of its agreement can constitute theft, and believe me, if Target has a legal ground to file it, they will.

Target cannot sue over their own negligence. If a company isn’t covering their own bases ABSOLUTELY no judge/jury of peers would agree with them.

This. Also, Target is the one who didn't fully deactivate the discount capability for inactive TMs AND is the one who linked the TM number against OP's will. OP didn't type the number in themself.

Exactly. It is locked into my account. I can not remove it. Therefore until it is removed by Target. There is nothing I can do, I only shop at Target, and am an ethical person which is why I called it into question lol

I mean, I can't really disagree with you, but it's a tough situation if the app automatically puts your team member number in and also doesn't let you delete it. It sounds like Target is forcing you to either boycott them or defraud them...
Account, settings, it shows your number plus "apply". I'm guessing you can enter 000000 to clear it?

Account, settings, it shows your number plus "apply". I'm guessing you can enter 000000 to clear it?

Thanks signingminion! It doesn't seem to accept any invalid TM number though, including just zeros. Target is really making it hard to get rid of the discount within the app.

your discount can be removed online FWIW

I checked Target.com and found what Amanda may be talking about. You will need to log into your account on the Target website to do it. Please see the attachments. This might work if deleting it on the website is able to affect the app.

Step 1.png Step 2.png Step 3.png Step 4.png

@HRbuddy @Smashier - I know that you both don't feel comfortable with the forced discount so let us know if this works.

Last edited:
Target cannot sue over their own negligence. If a company isn’t covering their own bases ABSOLUTELY no judge/jury of peers would agree with them.
Wow, you must have went to Harvard.

On second thought, maybe not because you seem to keep missing my whole point here.

My point is that it is NOT an ethical thing to do, “Knowingly defrauding a business” that is.

Just because you won’t get caught or punished, or because if someone else’s negligence, does not make it an ethical thing to do. I don’t even know why I try, working in AP I should know by now that some people will always rationalize their actions.

Last edited:

Wow, you must have went to Harvard.

On second thought, maybe not because you seem to keep missing my whole point here.

My point is that it is NOT an ethical thing to do, “Knowingly defrauding a business” that is.

Just because you won’t get caught or punished, or because if someone else’s negligence, does not make it an ethical thing to do. I don’t even know why I try, working in AP I should know by now that some people will always rationalize their actions.

garbage - I think that HRbuddy actually agreed with you for the most part in this thread.

First, HRbuddy liked your post about ethics:
garbage's post.PNG

Then, HRbuddy said:
I only shop at Target, and am an ethical person which is why I called it into question

The reason HRbuddy also said, "Target cannot sue over their own negligence. If a company isn’t covering their own bases ABSOLUTELY no judge/jury of peers would agree with them," was probably because there are former TMs who have unknowingly used the discount and that was Target's fault. Since it was Target who messed up, these former TMs shouldn't lose if Target (unlikely) decides to sue them in court.

Last edited:
Since when was defrauding a business legal? Your lying to receive a discount...that’s fraud.
So let's say this is happening to a lot of former TMs, but they don't even notice it. They just see the cool new Target Wallet function and start paying with it, while failing to notice it's applying the TM discount.

You're saying that they are defrauding Target without even knowing it, simply by using an app that Target itself created? And Target has a shot at suing them and winning, over something that Target itself did?

The team member number will still appear on your wallet but the discount has been removed I just tried it

I noticed last night my number worked on T.com because it had been saved. It worked in store for a week after my end date because the pay period was still active for another week but haven’t tried in store this week. I was with the company for 16 years but didn’t reach 55 so I don’t think I have a lifetime discount. If it’s saved on .com might be doing more shopping online if it continues to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. I might have to try that.

As an IT analyst, the liability is on Target for allowing the use of uncontrolled non-Target devices for a employee benefit function. The POS should catch the TM# when querying the discount and prompt invalid TM# or ignore it. Or the discount wallet function should really be in a separate TM only app; locks out when off-boarded.

To properly off-board TMs they should take back discount cards, badges, and disable the TM# from discounts and equipment.

Last edited:
Darn...I tried adding my old TM# and it crashes the app. The Desktop site reports invalid number. :p:p Is it two (2) leading zeroes for the old 8 digit numbers?

It may not work for former TMs with 10+ years of separation.o_Oo_O

Last edited:
On .com numbers show up as 4 zeros. Not sure if you can add it in now, I think it was just grandfathered in since I had in the system before termination. Didn’t work on Bullseye Shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. I could have sworn I saw it work before. Even though I’m not there anymore I still have some interest in the dogs though

It hasn't been third party for too long, and we used to use our #s for a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back