I'm Lost! Discrimination at Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

berrsim

So recently I began working at Target in the soft lines department and stopped working there about a month and a half later. While working at Target, a coworker has shown prejudiced behavior. One day at work, after saying that I was Arab/Middle Eastern, she asked me from which country and I said Iraq. After that, she said exactly, “Give me a year and I’ll make fun of you for that”. She threatened to mock me regarding my country of origin at my own workplace. Although I brushed it off to avoid conflict, it made me feel uncomfortable. I usually don't mind jokes, but I don't KNOW her personally. She was African American, and I know if I had made that remark to her I would be crucified.

Even though I am no longer employed there I would like to speak up. I worry for the future employees from ethnic minorities that may potentially receive the same treatment. I know for a fact that this behavior goes against Target’s mission of inclusivity. I emailed guest relations and they told me to "contact your local human resources department", but I don't know what that means? Thank you

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what she said but as someone who works with people who have a number of different disabilities we often make fun of each other for them.
We rearranged the office of the blind councilor, changed the settings on the phone for the deaf councilor, etc.
You wouldn't believe the number of jokes there are about people with epilepsy.
But this is between family, people who have known each other for a long time and under tough circumstances.
It is not discrimination.

Could it be that she meant, give her year so you guys could get to know each other, be friends and have spent time in the trenches, then she could make fun of you for that?
Especially since she was African American and would have experience first hand with discrimination?
Perhaps she was not threatening you but reaching out.

Last edited:
If it was anything like my store we sometimes eviscerate each other but if we saw a guest or someone do it we would be heated. It’s mostly done in love

I emailed guest relations and they told me to "contact your local human resources department", but
That means that Guest Relations is for guests with shopping issues, not for team members (even though you are a guest now).

If you are still bothered by it, call your store and speak with your former HR. Maybe this could be a good learning moment for the other TM about perception.

Managers cannot correct problem behavior if they don't know about it.

For a situation like this, they would likely need a written statement from you, and if there were amy witnesses they would need corroboration of your side. If other witnesses refused to agree with you, HRs hands would be tied.

The person being disciplined would know that you reported them for certain, there is no way to discipline without the person knowing what happened that they are being disciplined for.

There isn't anything you can do now. It would need to be addressed within a day or two of the incident in question. There is no way to address this at a later date.

I hope you didn’t leave Target because of this individual.
Target welcomes and encourages inclusiveness and diversity. I have a similar geographical background as you and have been welcomed with open heart.
I think you did yourself and others disservice, by not speaking up.
In the future ,please be vocal, proactive and use an incident like this as a learning and teaching opportunity for “beeble”.

Note:- Thats how Arabs pronounce “people”, they say “beeble”.

Last edited:
Since you already voluntarily left the company. There would be no benefit for you now.

But for future reference
1. Document the encounter. Time/Place/Witnesses
2. Talk to your immediate leaders.
3. Talk to your store HR or STL.
4. If you feel like it needs anonymous reported, you can report the encounter to the Hotline.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what she said but as someone who works with people who have a number of different disabilities we often make fun of each other for them.
We rearranged the office of the blind councilor, changed the settings on the phone for the deaf councilor, etc.
You wouldn't believe the number of jokes there are about people with epilepsy.
But this is between family, people who have known each other for a long time and under tough circumstances.
It is not discrimination.

Could it be that she meant, give her year so you guys could get to know each other, be friends and have spent time in the trenches, then she could make fun of you for that?
Especially since she was African American and would have experience first hand with discrimination?
Perhaps she was not threatening you but reaching out.

No, threatening to make fun of someone's ethnic background is not "reaching out". I do not KNOW her personally and I had worked there for a month and a half, so I think that joking about someone's background isn't good. Maybe later down the line..? But she seemed to have bad intentions when saying it.

Since you already voluntarily left the company. There would be no benefit for you now.

But for future reference
1. Document the encounter. Time/Place/Witnesses
2. Talk to your immediate leaders.
3. Talk to your store HR or STL.
4. If you feel like it needs anonymous reported, you can report the encounter to the Hotline.

I left for other reasons and I have reported it afterwards.

I hope you didn’t leave Target because of this individual.
Target welcomes and encourages inclusiveness and diversity. I have a similar geographical background as you and have been welcomed with open heart.
I think you did yourself and others disservice, by not speaking up.
In the future ,please be vocal, proactive and use an incident like this as a learning and teaching opportunity for “beeble”.

Note:- Thats how Arabs pronounce “people”, they say “beeble”.

I didn't leave because of this incident. Also, the timing made it hard for me to report it while I was at the store. Knowing the leaders I honestly do not think that it would have made any difference though, everyone was so tight knit there and left the new employees on their own. I have reported this situation anonymously to the Integrity hotline and they have sent my email to the headquarters Employee Relations team for review.

Managers cannot correct problem behavior if they don't know about it.

For a situation like this, they would likely need a written statement from you, and if there were amy witnesses they would need corroboration of your side. If other witnesses refused to agree with you, HRs hands would be tied.

The person being disciplined would know that you reported them for certain, there is no way to discipline without the person knowing what happened that they are being disciplined for.

There isn't anything you can do now. It would need to be addressed within a day or two of the incident in question. There is no way to address this at a later date.

There was no way for me to have "witnesses" if I was alone. The leaders know about the way that this employee has spoken about others in the past and she has been reprimanded for it, also she has made the same targeted jokes about other ethnic employees as well. I have reported it to the Integrity hotline and they have sent my report the headquarters Employee Relations team for review.

Did you tell hr or tl about the event on why you are quitting? It appears that you did not tell anyone & just quit. Spot can't stop it unless someone talks to hr or stl.

This was not why I left the store.

That means that Guest Relations is for guests with shopping issues, not for team members (even though you are a guest now).

If you are still bothered by it, call your store and speak with your former HR. Maybe this could be a good learning moment for the other TM about perception.

I thought about reporting it to the store itself, but they weren't exactly the friendliest people, so I reported it to the Integrity hotline anonymously. At first emailed guest relations, but the forwarded me to others.

If it was anything like my store we sometimes eviscerate each other but if we saw a guest or someone do it we would be heated. It’s mostly done in love

Love? No way. I won't ever believe my situation was out of "love".

No, threatening to make fun of someone's ethnic background is not "reaching out". I do not KNOW her personally and I had worked there for a month and a half, so I think that joking about someone's background isn't good. Maybe later down the line..? But she seemed to have bad intentions when saying it.

You said you didn't know her.
I understand being uncomfortable with the idea of making fun of someone's ethnic background but I would say that it is no worse than making light of their disability.
Perhaps if you had been willing to get to know her it would have been different or you might be right and she was warning you that she was going to insult you down the road.
Breaking into a tightly knit group of people, a team who have been working together for a while, can be a challenge.
Sometimes it involves giving each other shit because that breaks the tension.
I do it with my boss for crying out loud.
She allows it because she knows when things get crazy I have her back.

If that wasn't the case at the Target you were at, I'm sorry you had to put up with it.

You said you didn't know her.
I understand being uncomfortable with the idea of making fun of someone's ethnic background but I would say that it is no worse than making light of their disability.
Perhaps if you had been willing to get to know her it would have been different or you might be right and she was warning you that she was going to insult you down the road.
Breaking into a tightly knit group of people, a team who have been working together for a while, can be a challenge.
Sometimes it involves giving each other shit because that breaks the tension.
I do it with my boss for crying out loud.
She allows it because she knows when things get crazy I have her back.

If that wasn't the case at the Target you were at, I'm sorry you had to put up with it.

You're misinterpreting my situation and wrongly comparing it with yours. I'm glad you have that welcomed environment at your location, but at mine it was not welcoming at all. She described herself as "sarcastic" and "inconsiderate" and has been reprimanded for her behavior in the past. It is clear to see that there was no light hearted fun involved in my situation. I was the victim. Everyone has a right to feel comfortable and welcomed in their workplace, and to not have that experience I am definitely exercising my right in reporting this behavior.

I see this behavior at my other job. Mainly because I work with a lot of young folk under 21.

They throw around obscene, racist, ignorant comments at each other like confetti and I’m surprised no one has been too offended amongst them. I’ve told them that they should be absolutely grateful that they can treat it like child’s play amongst them but to think hard if a guest, customer neighbor, stranger were to hear and what would happen then? Come on, grow some respect for yourself and others. :mad:

I see this behavior at my other job. Mainly because I work with a lot of young folk under 21.

They throw around obscene, racist, ignorant comments at each other like confetti and I’m surprised no one has been too offended amongst them. I’ve told them that they should be absolutely grateful that they can treat it like child’s play amongst them but to think hard if a guest, customer neighbor, stranger were to hear and what would happen then? Come on, grow some respect for yourself and others. :mad:

Yeah honestly, the lady that said this to me was in her late 20s. She had the mentality of a teenager. They need to be called out honestly this behavior should not be accepted in the workplace.

You did not tell hr & complaining here does not help you after the fact.
I think you were let go, due to performance or attendance.
You did complain about your pay too.
$11.50 pay - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/11-50-pay.19465/

I wasn't complaining. I simply made a thread ASKING. That is the whole purpose of this website. I'm not only telling you guys lmao I have a report case with the Target Headquarters Employee Relations and Integrity Hotline team. You're whole life revolves around your job at Tarshit and honestly it is hilarious how pathetic you are lmao god bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back