Archived Discrimination???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all first time Poster. I have been with Target for 4 years in the same store. Recently I feel as though I have been discriminated against. Ill keep the story short and to the point. Last wed I complained to my TL that another team member keeps staring at me despite me asking him to stop and it is making me very uncomfortable. The TL said sure no problem I will talk to him. He came back and said he spoke to the TM and not to worry any more. Not even 10 min later The TM walks by me staring me down laughing shewing me off with his hand. I asked him what his problem was? He responded that I remind him of a monkey! Now I am a white male and have a medical issue where I let out small uncontrollable sounds from time to time. Just for the record, the other TM is a Hispanic male. I went and complained to TL again who happens to also be Hispanic and friends outside of work with this TM (yes it is his TL too). Said he would handle it. and hour later he said he talked to him again and said that cause I make funny sounds.

This was not good enough for me and I went to the STL with my complaint. I said that not only was I discriminated against that I was also retaliated against. Now come Friday, nothing had been done and no leadership in building. Kid walks by and gives me another dirty look while laughing. I report to the AP TL who was the only one there. Today I go in and tell the STL I want a sit down to discus and he reply's he replies that he hasn't had time to talk to anyone.

Anyway he finally gets down to it only to have my ETL and HR tell me that him and I need to stay in opposite corners. That was it! I was and am so pissed off I told them that this was being swept under the rug and I will not stand for it! Told them I want a transfer as I can no longer respect or work for a mgt staff and a TL that obviously lied to save his buddy and that covers serious issues for whatever reasons.. They were more then happy to make those calls on my behalf.
Well I looked up the code of conduct and it states that both are termination warranted. And since I have a witness that heard it all but they didn't even bother to talk to him about it. I plan on calling the hotline and contacting the state and filing a discrimination complaint. FYI our STL is 26 and our ETL HR is 22 first job since college.....
Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks!!!

This stores leadership sucks! 6 months ago I got hurt by another TM that comes to work drunk all the time. Again that was swept under the rug despite me constantly telling them he is drunk. They seem to avoid everything but coming back from break late!

Rumor has it that there maybe a bonus to stores that don't terminate. Any truth to that?

Rumor has it that there maybe a bonus to stores that don't terminate. Any truth to that?
I don't know about that....I wouldn't think so tho. I do know that being bullied or being treated with anything else than repsect at work is uncalled for. This is one of my biggest pet peeves...whether its a fellow team member or a etl...we all deserve respect.

True true. I didn't think so either, just thought I would ask.

Before you call the hot line, write everything down.
Names, dates, times, all the pertinent details and make sure you keep it factual leaving out personal feelings.
This way when you talk to the people you'll be able to state you case clearly and to the point.

Get the name of the person and a case number.

If I called him a monkey i would have been terminated on the spot!

You have to call the hotline. Exec staff will do nothing, and WRITE THINGS DOWN, with dates, names etc.

If i was a member of your team i would set this f*** head straight and make sure this dude never even thought about looking at you in any way ever again.... Call the hotline and see what they can do for you. Good luck my friend!

I would document everything. Not call the hotline, just yet. Give your upper mgt time to investigate your complaint first. There maybe other thing happening behind the scenes, you may be aware of.

They are bullying you. Don't forget to include that in your bullets. And making fun of a medical condition. It's not just discrimination.

Stand your ground. Don't leg them run you off.
Good luck

There's not a "bonus" if they don't terminate someone but we do have a turnover goal (which includes people quitting as well) that each store is suppose to meet and that does go into your stores AE goal which is what raises are based off of for TL's and ETL's. We ruined our turnover in the first two months at my store.

Time to call the hotline, along with all advice everyone has given. They think you will back down and submit, if you have a medical condition, and they are harassing you about it, and no one is correcting the harassment, they have a big wake up call coming.

Also, try to secretly record the harassment, like with a phone or mp3 player. This builds your case, you could sue and never have to work a target again. If this is really happening, take up advantaged of it.

Also, try to secretly record the harassment, like with a phone or mp3 player. This builds your case....

Make sure to check your state's laws regarding this. If your state is one that requires consent from all parties involved, then recording them without their consent would result in the evidence being tossed out, at best. And at worst, fines for you. In either, your case would be severely weakened.

Also, try to secretly record the harassment, like with a phone or mp3 player. This builds your case....

Make sure to check your state's laws regarding this. If your state is one that requires consent from all parties involved, then recording them without their consent would result in the evidence being tossed out, at best. And at worst, fines for you. In either, your case would be severely weakened.
Im pretty sure Target has it somewhere stating conversations couldnt be recorded. I cant remember if its just on AP side or global.

Don't secretly record anything. Different states have different laws. If that ever went to court. The da would want to know about it and you could be charged for illegal recording. Check your state laws on recording without the other person knowing.

Maybe, personally when I was in a similar situation, I just "happened" to be recoreding some voice memos and "accidentally" forgot to turn it off.

It never hurts to get a recording, and then check with your local laws on the issue, it's far too easy for people in power to just say they "took care of it" or something like that. Then it's your word over theirs.

A TM at our store was stalking someone in our deli dept... would keep walking by and making sexual comments, follow the TM out to the parking lot after clocking out, etc. Deli TM put in a restraining order on the TM. Eventually the stalking TM got fired for harassment but it took a long time. I hope you get faster results with the hotline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back