Archived Does your store have any "assortment guest"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the guest that somehow know if an item is an assorment and demands you bring it out so they can look though it?

The worst are the hot wheels guys. We get one every other truck day demanding we bring out a shipper or assortment so they can look though and see if it has something they don't have

I have a long standing dislike, bordering on hatred, for the hot wheels and other collector/resellers. Collectors aren't too bad, but the resllers..........!

My store don't play that.
ETL told those guys long ago that what's on the pegs is what they get; NOT bringing more product out for them to paw thru.

We are the same except for a couple collectors, they come in every single day at open. Look through all the cars and pick up and put back everything they go through. Those two guys we will let them go through cases. They even repack them back to casepack count. They don't take all the good ones - take some leave some. Why? Cause they are stand up collectors.

We have a group of retirees who come in nearly every morning right at opening.
Most of them are cool but there's always that one who accuses our store of 'holding back the good ones', that someone on flow takes the good ones before pushing them to the floor & wants to see an unopened box.

One nice guy asked if we had more hot wheels in the back because the pegs were pretty empty, I checked and there was 72 (duh one box) I let him open it and do what he wanted I left him alone and he so nicely and neatly pegged them and came looking for me just to say a very sincere thank you. That like literally made his day to be able to quietly look through a brand new case.

We used to have a Start Wars collector that came to our store every morning. I was there TL of toys at the time and said hi to him. He asked if we had a character, it was someone I haven't heard of before so I made the mistake of asking him about the character. Big mistake. His face lit up and with way too much excitement he began to tell me about the characters story and his backstory from the books. Nice guy but I never made the mistake of asking him about a character again.

Our collectors/resellers are cool. Come in when the store opens, check our floor selection, don't bother anyone, pay for what they want and leave. One time we had a new guy come in, open a case that was on the floor and leave a mess. We put a stop to that guy. I won't go looking in the back for a particular character or color of a toy for a collector or reseller, but I will for someone looking for a toy for a child. It is easy to tell the two type of buyers apart.

We have a guy come in and look through our Hot Wheels. He always asks if he can open the cases still waiting to be pushed and he either pushes them himself as he looks through them or sticks them nicely back in the box as he went through them.

On Star Wars Day a guy came up to us during huddle looking for a specific figure that wasn't out. He was very polite and one of the ETL bent over backwards trying to find that figure in the back for him.

But then we had one guy come in with a scale and weigh all the blind boxes and make an absolute mess while doing it.

There used to be a sign you could order and hang that notifies collectors we will not bring merchandise out of the back.

But then we had one guy come in with a scale and weigh all the blind boxes and make an absolute mess while doing it.
I HATE this.
There are several grown-ass men who do this with the trading cards, pulling stacks off the peg at one time & weighing them.
Only once did I see one guy snap at a kid who started to reach for one in his 'stack'; unfortunately for him Grizzly Momma was right there.
As she ripped him a new one, the ETL just stood off to the side while giving the guy a look of "Dude, bad idea...."

You know, the guest that somehow know if an item is an assorment and demands you bring it out so they can look though it?

The worst are the hot wheels guys. We get one every other truck day demanding we bring out a shipper or assortment so they can look though and see if it has something they don't have
Yup! When I worked there we would have a hot wheel guy come every damn day. He was wicked nice though.

If I do that for a guest I tell them don't forget to rate my service on the survey win-win. I had a few hot wheels requests collectors that didnt make a mess. I was able to help a father and son complete a fast and furious car collection. Lately getting requests looking for certain shopkins dolls. A few small children asked me for a specific color lion of the voltron toys. The smile on those kids faces was worth it. One lady gave me a hug because I found a box of those LOLs when I thought we had run out. I had to get it from the top shelf. She also gave me a good review.

Last edited:
We had a reseller who lost his patience waiting for new inventory and bought the entire inventory on the pegs of WWE figures. Then went to our neighboring store and returned them all. This of course triggered the DC to send new ones.

He was told after we found out that if he pulled that again, he'd be trespassed from both stores!

We had a reseller who lost his patience waiting for new inventory and bought the entire inventory on the pegs of WWE figures. Then went to our neighboring store and returned them all. This of course triggered the DC to send new ones.

He was told after we found out that if he pulled that again, he'd be trespassed from both stores!
can they do that? He technically did nothing wrong and made no profit.

We have a couple guys that come in and are really nice about it. I have no problem letting one of em look through our hot wheels assortments as he will put them on the pegs if needed and doesn't seem to be in it for anything more than his own collecting hobby. I talked to him for a good 10 minutes one time just wondering what it is he looks for and he said he just wants to have one of each. He pointed out a few of the ones that have some value but expressed that he had no interest in them as he already had them in his collection.

The NES/Switch/Hatchimal guests were much worse. Resellers are always bad, but even the ones not planning on reselling were just unreasonably rude.

can they do that? He technically did nothing wrong and made no profit.

Private property.
As long as they aren't refusing him service for a civil rights reason, religion, sex, skin color, etc., it is all fair game.
In this case he was threatened with it, it wasn't actually done and I suspect he didn't want to lose the chance to go through the figures.

I have a guest that's always returning hot wheels. I don't know why he buys them just to return. I'm assuming he's a reseller returning stuff he couldn't sell. I wonder if it makes him cringe when I just through them into the toys go-backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back