Archived Dumb questions from Guests......really..... you have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had guests come up to me at the fitting room and ask me if the registers are back there. Must be easy to miss all of them when you walk by them at the front of the store.

I once had a guest ask me if we do clothing alterations in the store.

My Favorite though is when working at the fitting room and I get a call from one of the red phones and the guest on the other end wants to know the exact location of an item and then get upset when I cant quickly give them the exact location all the way down to what section of said aisle it is in and offer to send a team member to assist them which is the listed procedure. Apparently they think I am a computer and have every item and its exact location memorized.

221050500 is a small icee... I think. I keep forgetting which is which.

221 is the department code
04 for soda, or 05 for icee (or the other way around)
0500 is small,
0501 is medium,
0502 is large,
and sodas have a senior size, which is 0503

I had a woman call guest services about a camera that she had bought in 2008 that she had just recently dropped and broken. Unfortunately the person who picked up the phone was the biggest pushover we have at GS, so instead of telling this woman "sorry, we can't help, bye!" she kept trying to see if there was something she could do. Even after I told her to tell the guest "no, we won't replace your seven year old camera" the guest kept insisting and the GSTM kept leading her on. By the time I had her give me the phone the guest was convinced that I was going to call the manufacturer for her and order a free replacement. Eventually I just kept repeating "I'm sorry ma'am, we can't help you." After saying that about ten times I just hung up.

No, you can't pay for an item here and then go pick it up at another store. Why does that make sense in your head? Why do you even wanna do that? What if they're out of stock? Why you gotta be so dumb?
If the other store is out of stock, the guest will just demand they give it to them since they already paid for it.

Being out of stock is no excuse for not having the item the guest needs!

Guest: Can I use this now?

This is asked constantly when they receive a free gift card for purchasing qualifying items. Um...if you could use it NOW, why wouldn't they just TAKE OFF THE MONEY instead of giving you a gift card. Common sense isn't so common anymore.

This is asked constantly when they receive a free gift card for purchasing qualifying items. Um...if you could use it NOW, why wouldn't they just TAKE OFF THE MONEY instead of giving you a gift card. Common sense isn't so common anymore.
I get this question. Almost. Every. Single. Time.

And this is why I say "this $5 giftcard will be good on your next purchase" when I hand it to them. It almost always prevents them from asking & I usually write the amount on it too. Saves me A LOT of headaches.

*Overhead announcement* "Our registers will close in 5 minutes" *Guest to me* "What time do you close?"
Was clearing softlines last week and found a woman still browsing in the sleepwear section. I informed her that it was past 10pm and that we are closed and she needs to o up to the registers and check out. She then tells me that she will only be a few minutes and is trying to decide on which pajamas to get. I had to tell her that if she didn't head up to the registers no then she won't be able to check out as they will be closed. Finally she headed up

While at the service desk:
Well can't you place an online order here?

Not really. But if you're really committed, you can connect to the store's open WiFi and you can do this on your phone.

Was clearing softlines last week and found a woman still browsing in the sleepwear section. I informed her that it was past 10pm and that we are closed and she needs to o up to the registers and check out. She then tells me that she will only be a few minutes and is trying to decide on which pajamas to get. I had to tell her that if she didn't head up to the registers no then she won't be able to check out as they will be closed. Finally she headed up

Had a Sunday where there were a couple of people leisurely strolling around the store after we cut the lights. Once they were all wrangled to the front, a guy asked, "Do y'all turn off the lights like this every night?"
"Yes, when we close" At this point we'd made 2 announcements after close stating that the store was closed.
"You guys close?"
"Every night. Ten on Sunday and eleven every other day."
"Oh, I thought you guys stayed open like wal mart."

...get the hell out this store.

My favorite was the lady shopping dairy and the lights went out on her because we were closing and she actually got mad about it. Like excuse you we're closed don't even start.

And this is why I say "this $5 giftcard will be good on your next purchase" when I hand it to them. It almost always prevents them from asking & I usually write the amount on it too. Saves me A LOT of headaches.
But...wait for it...I tell them that too when I hand them the card! And they still ask! *facepalm*

I have had many guests call the store wanting to know if they order an Online only item off the website and pick it up at the store.
I'm pretty sure you can do that with Walmart and other retailers who offer free pickup in store, so it's sort of a legit question. Although you would have thought the guest would figure out when they went to purchase it that there was no store pickup option...

I love it the most when a guest comes up to me at my register "Can you check how much this is?" to me. I then glance around at all the price-checking machines mounted around the store and make sure to point to the nearest one and say "Sure, but there ARE machines around the store that can do this for you too..." They just stare at me like I'm the stupid one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back