MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

If the last few overheads are any indication, it wouldn't be impossible to do while open. I've been able to solely use the one up to hang them which hasn't happened in so long. CSE would be trickier, but again, not impossible, especially if done in the morning. Door clings...yeah, not sure about that either!

I never could get a hang of the pole. I'd request to come in early if/when they try to change my hours.

How the hell am I to be

I see have no idea how they would expect me to do door clings, and overheads/Large CSE Signing when we are open.
I believe you (signage0, the cleaning crew and those ugly pogs will be the only ones for early morning, overnights.

Here's my list of E2E problems with my store.

Lack of equipment. We need much more to the point of maybe 20 pdas.
Lack of people and knowledge. If you remember way back I said we had a walkout well it's hard to keep new workers when they can make the same doing much easier work.

Working the truck,backroom and stocking with customers asking a thousand questions.

On lack of equipment, the solution is actually a corporate one if they want. Its called BYOD. (bring your own device) Now that we actually got the apps on android, the apks could be moved to yours and my smart phone. With access to the wifi we could have enough devices. Of course, we would have to promise in blood about certain things but it would solve the problem.

Then again<.I could show up to my store and suddenly the food is dancing like this too.

Pay will have to jump significantly as well.

We have 3 TMS and our TL. 2 TMs are 6-12 or 12:30, 1 TM is 8-12, TL is 730-4ish We usually are done with the entire push in 3 hours, with research shot, and a little backstock left usually. Also usually done with autofill push too with only fast movers for produce and maybe the meat pull to do. But then again we dont even have anyone who is really in open market until later in the day on the truck push days since they want all 4 people there getting the truck done as fast as possible. Seems like piece wise we end up with 300-400 or so pieces per truck

Anyway, to clarify, myself, after I am done pushing the aisle, zone and research as I zone. Why wouldnt you just combine the two since you are literally right in front of the empty spots and can see them? From my understanding the whole point of this process and what was stressed to us by our STL in the meeting before we rolled this out is that it wasnt going to be the same old...Do Task A, now task B, now task C. It would be a more integrated process where you could be doing multiple things at a time

With the expanded hours that sucks you cant find more coverage. Nobody wants to stay for a full 8 on truck days or other days? I wish we got that many hours I would be full time 40.

That's because they've been F***ed so hard with the little dole of hours that there is no one who doesn't have a second job. I don't have that at mine either. we are just getting to 30 for most and thats do to increased sales.

Maybe im just lucky idk...We usually have at least 2 zebras and a PDA. During the meeting they said we were getting like 20 zebras for the store...not sure if that is how much we actually got though. And we have like 8 or 9 PDAs

Equipment is much better at my store with the zebras. Unlike a dead mydevice battery which takes the mydevice out of commision we have plenty of extra batteries to keep use of the devices in the rare ilnstance a battery dies.

Is it the tools or the lack of understanding of how to use them. Training is not very good at Target in general. Look no further than this website for of proof of that. Everyone here has helped me out tremendously in that regards. We don't practice as company a comprehensive training policy on all aspects of our retail environment. E2E is not going to help that all unless we practice it in that manner either.

That being said, my ETL and I for quite some time have been practicing a limited form E2E functions in a certain area.

We watch an area like a hawk and we are still plagued with low inventory and/or shortages. It's never the same items either.

We have product in back stock, correct counts, correct shelf quantity, and a empty shelf. Then we have the scenario with zero on hand none showing up on order. Or we're down to the last couple of items and none showing up on the horizon. Not enough product to fulfill a planogram or revision so forth and so on. He has been with Spot for three decades and has made some disparaging comments on these problems. I have been with Spot for over five years my self. It plagues us everywhere were it shouldn't. Especially in those items we should be competitive with.

We will take care of what we can and hopefully a couple of trucks later we might see it.

This is an area which we should never experience any type of shortage. I check other retailers out and I don't see the problem in their stores either.

This is sign of system failure. I recognize this from my past. I have experience managing all aspects of inventory for manufacturers, wholesalers, and assembly plants. What I know is that inventory is literally the life blood of your operations. Without it, your done.

Our achilles, forecasting, turn around times, and minimal inventory levels - company wide has to be fixed or we going to fail miserably.

Oh I agree with this. I have 30 bags of beneful beef dog food because the on hands would not change from where the system wanted it to be. I said it was 12 there, it said no its 8. When I got 12 more in on 7 pallet day, I finally talked to ETL about it and he my supported it and its fixed.

THIS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.
These three things should happen with no questions or adjustment by any member of Mgmt or TM.

1. Any active item with a each of more than 1 should auto ship at 0, period.
  2. the trigger for the system to pull an item from the BR should be 50% of what is on the floor home location. (if you have 6 and there are 3 in home and 18 in the backroom, 3 should be pulled)
  3. In research mode, if you tell it that there are 12 there. It should agree there are 12 there.
Right now we are at this phase.

I want to hear your opinion after doing E2E for a month. No I'm not being a smart ass just generally curious how it works out for you and your store.
We've been doing E2E in Market at my store since late last year.

What I see:

- Too many cases for the Market Team to push. Instocks does their RIGs and are sent over to Research when continually dropping Fill POGs doesn't fill the holes.

- Because of the above at least twice a week the morning Smart Huddle is in Market and POG, Pricing, Instocks, and all Leaders in the building spend almost an hour pushing and zoning making Market look good.

- No leaders supervise the TMs on the Market Team and they end up working in pairs or threes not working as fast as they could because they are always talking to each other.

- With no deadline to meet on pushing product to the floor Market and Flow Teams are lackadaisical when it comes to getting product to the Sales Floor. It sits in the Backroom until it is pushed at one of the non-Market Smart Huddles. When product is brought into the store it should be put on the Sales Floor or backstocked as soon as possible so it can be found for an in store guest, Flex, or SFS.

As I said, I look forward to E2E but if the issues in my previous post are not addressed then I know it will be hell and Target's reputation will take another hit.

Amazon benefits greatly from one stop shopping. We can't do that given the market we've chosen serve. Pull up Amazon, Walmart, and Target and start picking items at random. We just don't carry the same things as the other two.

That's were the problem lies, one stop shopping. We have to get a better online presence in regards to what we have to offer. Once a guest can rely upon us for most things, incidental items won't matter if we don't carry them.
So, you want Target to have the same selection as Amazon and compete in all categories? Every retail store is a failure unless they can be a complete one-stop shop?

But, there is a glitch in the replenishment system. In more than a few instances I will scan for a product doing RIGS or Research and then occasionally check the history of the item. Not only do we not have any OHs but there is nothing populated in any of the history fields. That item went to zero and a replenishment order wasn't automatically tripped.
I don't do instocks enough to notice if that happens frequently on active products, but I have seen it happen with dcode (when it's been so long since replenishment that the date changes to N/A). I can say with 100% certainty that I've picked items for an order that had dropped overnight, scanned it in item search, and seen that it was at zero on-hand (meaning I picked the last one) but already had more on the way (usually 1-2 days ETA).

If the last few overheads are any indication, it wouldn't be impossible to do while open. I've been able to solely use the one up to hang them which hasn't happened in so long. CSE would be trickier, but again, not impossible, especially if done in the morning. Door clings...yeah, not sure about that either!
Our signing TM has a wave on the floor after open all the time without problems. Even for FOS overheads.

So, you want Target to have the same selection as Amazon and compete in all categories? Every retail store is a failure unless they can be a complete one-stop shop?

No, we couldn't achieve the same selection as Amazon in our current situation. What I am referring to is the on line presence cannot be same narrow customer base we focus on at the store level; 20-40 year old female, attended college to graduating, contemplating a family or has a family. I learned that somewhere on Spot's website.

You have to cover more ground given that your on line, it's expected. This is one of the biggest draws to on line retailing, selection availability. Expand your demographics to cover those shoppers that you cannot serve due to limited physical space/carrying cost. As people opt out of heading out to the store, you want to make sure they don't opt you out because you can't find clothing for a man over 40 while they are shopping for clothes for their teenagers.

Warehouse space cost a lot less than retail space, which makes it idea to cover a lot more ground demographically.

You don't want to be the retailer that doesn't offer basically the same variety/options of merchandise as your competition within reason. In other words, when you start looking for men's shoes, you should have options similar to your online competition. It may not be exactly the same, but you have selection availability for them to choose from when they are shopping.

I've done CSE around 11AM. I've had the wave on the floor for FOS overheads through 9:30AM.

I do CSE anytime throughout the day, usually mornings though. I try to never use the wave for FOS because guests are too stupid not to realize they shouldn't walk near or under me and I don't always have a 2nd person to redirect them while I'm up by the ceiling.

With E2eE I can see uboats, z-racks, flatbeds, 3- tier carts, shopping carts of go-backs, the wave and maybe a power jack on the floor through out the day; I guess we can officially retire the term "guest distraction".

Right? It's confusing when Corp says they want "hotel lobby" at the front yet they are ok with chaos in the back?! This ought to be interesting.

Business-In-The-Front-Murder-In-The-Back-Funny-Mullet-Image.jpg

Right? It's confusing when Corp says they want "hotel lobby" at the front yet they are ok with chaos in the back?! This ought to be interesting.

View attachment 3350
As a person who actually worked in a hotel lobby as a member of hotel mgmt, no target really doesn't want that. The person who said that has no clue how hotels actually work.

So think about this:
A hotel lobby is:
  1. A desk to check in and out with various maps and pamphets on it. You also get packages there and the safe is there as well.
  2. An area for the guests to sit and do things while arrivng and departing
  3. a concierge area
  4. an coffee bar/breakfast bar area.
If you want to control the guest experience you do that by service and convenience. This right now is so far from that, you need a rocket to get back.

20-30min for your flow team.. Either you have a tiny market section or a tiny store..

It just comes out of the backroom out of date.

30, maybe 60 minutes is legit. We had all grocery bowled out between 6 and 7am, then the majority of the flow team pushes all of grocery in a superT. Once grocery is done they split up and do the rest of the store. The only people that don't stock grocery is the person checking in electronics, the person sorting hba repacks, and the Softlines ladies.

With E2E I can see uboats, z-racks, flatbeds, 3- tier carts, shopping carts of go-backs, the wave and maybe a power jack on the floor through out the day; I guess we can officially retire the term "guest distraction".
My store is ultra low volume. We've been doing a 6am unload and have pallets, trash cages, etc etc etc on the floor until at least noon every truck day.

My store is ultra low volume. We've been doing a 6am unload and have pallets, trash cages, etc etc etc on the floor until at least noon every truck day.
Imagine having all of that stuff on the floor at your store on Saturday when your store probably does 80k in sales. Now double the amount of guests of your 80k day and you'll begin to feel what high volume stores have to deal with on a daily basis.

When we switched from 4A to 6A unload we were told research showed that guests didn't mind stores being stocked when the store was open. This was repeated to us with the roll out of E2E.

Now, IF any real research survey was done, I'm sure they just asked people something along the lines of: "Do you mind if the sales floor is restocked while the store is open?"

When asked this, I'm sure most people thought of what was done when we pushed CAFS or Research: a few vehicles on the sales floor with someone actively working it. Even I would say I didn't mind that and would shop there while a store did this.

However, what do you think the response would be if they showed people actual photographs of what I think many Targets will look like: flats, tubs, and even the occasional pallet blocking the rear of aisles so they have to zig zag up and down aisles to get to what they want.

Once we started 6A unload, and while guest survey comments were still viewable on Workbench, we would have about two comments a week complain about the mess of the push on the sales floor. I don't think E2E will improve it.

Last edited:
Saturday's are shit shows for us now because we only have 2 people de trashing until someone comes in at 8 or 8:30. For our softlines area we have 19 carts, 1 cage, 2 tubs, 1 bra rack and 7 z racks. I had a guest comment by saying "Wow, I've never seen this side of retail." My response, "This is how everything makes it to the floor." She didn't seem annoyed at all. I was more annoyed, because it was after 9:30 and we were still de trashing.

Saturday's are shit shows for us now because we only have 2 people de trashing until someone comes in at 8 or 8:30. For our softlines area we have 19 carts, 1 cage, 2 tubs, 1 bra rack and 7 z racks. I had a guest comment by saying "Wow, I've never seen this side of retail." My response, "This is how everything makes it to the floor." She didn't seem annoyed at all. I was more annoyed, because it was after 9:30 and we were still de trashing.

You don't have the entitled give it to me now types. I think the rest of us are jealous.

As far as Signing goes, I do CSEs early in the morning when it's still not busy and don't have too much of a problem even if the store is open. When there are FOS overheads, what I do and what I suggest is that I ask to come in early for that day. I agree that it seems like they are going to continue to get easier, but I'm not going to try and use a wave in front of the checklanes while we're open (ever again).

Back