MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

The backroom team, however, isn't flawless. If they were I wouldn't be finding my boxes for the boys department in toys or random boxes of infant accessories in candy.
Honestly that stuff probably isn't backroom anyway. BR doesn't backstock in Candy and the Electronics TM, at least in my store like putting anything he gets thats not electronics in the Toy aisle.

Last edited:
*Sigh* You guys are confusing the hell out of me. So you're saying there's nothing wrong with putting multiple sizes of the same item in a waco so long at they are properly backstocked by size?
I'm saying that the act of backstocking different sizes of the same item in the same location does not cause an error. It just makes it extremely easy for an error to occur.

The backroom is setup for pulling batches quickly. That's why we have fillgroups. It takes longer to pull if you have to read the tag of every item. It's supposed to be as easy as scanning an item, counting out how many it needs, look to see if any are left, and hit y or n and move to the next location.

Honestly that stuff probably isn't backroom anyway. BR doesn't backstock in Candy and the Electronics TM, at least in my store like putting anything he gets thats not electronics in the Toy aisle.

Our BR backstocks the candy aisle. I've seen them do it. Or maybe it's the seasonal aisle with candy in it? I don't know. And our electronics is not E2E yet so they're not pushing their own freight so they wouldn't have any reason to put a box of boys clothes in the toy aisle, especially since our backroom is split and electronics is on the other side from us (meaning it would actually be more work to bring it all the way over to toys and randomly shove it somewhere and locate it there). We're human beings. NONE of us are perfect. Sometimes the department numbers for different things are just very close. Mistakes happen. Yes, our little team is probably making more than their fair share at the moment but that's why I've been asking these questions. You simply can't fix what you don't understand. Pretty much why E2E was badly executed. You don't take teams who've specialized in one thing and shove them into another team's work center and expect them to handle the new work center the same way as the 'experts' with little or no training.

I'm saying that the act of backstocking different sizes of the same item in the same location does not cause an error. It just makes it extremely easy for an error to occur.

The backroom is setup for pulling batches quickly. That's why we have fillgroups. It takes longer to pull if you have to read the tag of every item. It's supposed to be as easy as scanning an item, counting out how many it needs, look to see if any are left, and hit y or n and move to the next location.

Yes, thank you. I understood that last part quite well. I spent YEARS pulling batches in the backroom for workload and had first hand experience with how the backroom team stocked softlines. So I automatically made sure I put different sizes of the same item in different wacos. Kind of a see how it is, keep it that way? But the backroom team asking us to make sure it was done that way and explaining why (the explanation you just gave) made it all make sense. I have noted entire sets of shirts in our section in one waco... I didn't put them that way and from what I'm hearing so long as the TM scanned every bar code there really isn't an error there until someone screws up pulling it. But I totally get that idea of speed. That's why I didn't like hearing that they were going to organizing softlines into tight brand cubicles so that you'd have no choice but to put multiple sizes of the same shirt in the same waco due to lack of space. Anyway, thank you for all the input. Much appreciated. :)

This is also why E2E currently exists because they know this system is flawed and the only solution is palletization and no backstock at all.

This is also why E2E currently exists because they know this system is flawed and the only solution is palletization and no backstock at all.
Like in my meat amient bakery and produce coolers fast movers for all back stock. We have had eggs, specialty and vendor milk unlocated for 3 years now just push as needed.

If you were actually reading what I wrote you would know that I don't do that. I haven't done that since I started backstocking. I actually like my backroom team and try really hard not to make their jobs harder. In turn they do the best they can to help me whenever they can. The backroom team, however, isn't flawless. If they were I wouldn't be finding my boxes for the boys department in toys or random boxes of infant accessories in candy. So we all make mistakes and I'm not trying to point fingers or assign blame, I'm simply trying to figure out how best to fix it. That's all. You've basically in a round about way told me what everyone else has told me. I am backstocking properly. I suppose in the end it's going to come down to actually seeing the BRLA report myself. Thank you for your input, though. Much appreciated. :)

Backstocking similar items in the same waco is not best practice. Even if you prefer to sort brands when you backstock, there will still be enough wacos to separate similar items.

Backstocking similar items in the same waco is not best practice. Even if you prefer to sort brands when you backstock, there will still be enough wacos to separate similar items.
I need access to the equipment you are using to open that portal to the pocket dimension where there enough wacos to separate items because not all of us have the shelf space to do that.

Has anyone heard rumors/trickle downs about the future of E2E? Is corporate pretty set on fully rolling out to everyone/everything, or is there still a chance it might get ditched eventually?

I think E2E works in theory, but in my experience, it does NOT work in execution if it doesn't get support, people and hours. At my store, we've technically got the hours but we've had a hard time getting people to fill it, and we DON'T get store support. We're expected to be completely self-sufficient and if we crash and burn, oh well. I remember when the store would support all the different teams if they were having a bad day/week and leaders would send people or resources over to help out if they were behind, for the good of the whole store.

Now, instead of everyone being team oriented, they're so hyper-focused on their own thing that they could not be bothered to help out a TM/TL in another department even if they were running around on fire. I hate that isolated mentality and it's making the store a sucky, divided place to work.

Ours is the other way around...they took away market hours and gave it to backroom, but in return Market only gets the tiniest bit of help from backroom. I'm sure Market would help out backroom more, but we're so slammed busy that we can't even get our own work done, let alone help anyone else.

I think end to end has slowed quite a bit. When this started they talked about this being the death of flow teams.

Most stores that are end to end are market, beauty. Electronics and apparel. Very few have gone that route in hardlines. The idea was to take hours from flow and put them in those areas.

Mytime is again allocating lots of flow hours which is an acknowledgment that stores aren't truly ready to ditch flow teams completely

My store is still doing this stupid hybrid thing but it's still just the flow team doing the work in most of hardlines, and there's still nobody dedicated to working those areas after flow is gone. There's just the usual 1-2 hardlines closing TMs to stay on top of reshop and do a shitty zone. Instocks is done during the day by a TLOD. Backroom is a single TM for 8 hours most days, and Flow does most of their own pulls and backstock. And trucks still take 2-3 hours to unload...

It's starting to look like one of those years where the flow TL quits again.

E2E has made our softlines area a mess. Since the ladies who do the breakout from the truck are no longer supposed to push we have z bars everywhere in softlines. They block up the walkways, which makes it super hard to navigate around especially with the remodel set up with the different displays. I don't see how guests can get their carts around, it is super bad.

They keep most of the shopping carts of the breakout in the trailer and people come back to grab them throughout the day. There is always shopping carts and z bars full of push left out on the salesfloor well past noon every day.

They keep most of the shopping carts of the breakout in the trailer and people come back to grab them throughout the day. There is always shopping carts and z bars full of push left out on the salesfloor well past noon every day.

My store is high volume and understaffed right now, but this isn't the case for us. We tuck z-racks in between the clothing racks, always on the carpet and that means they are mostly out of the way. We do z-racks first to get them off the floor. They are typically gone by 11ish I want to say depending on how many pushers we have. Carts are less of an issue and we usually keep them out on the floor. All in all, we usually complete push and backstock around 3pm. How many people do you have working your trucks?

I think end to end has slowed quite a bit. When this started they talked about this being the death of flow teams.

Most stores that are end to end are market, beauty. Electronics and apparel. Very few have gone that route in hardlines. The idea was to take hours from flow and put them in those areas.

Mytime is again allocating lots of flow hours which is an acknowledgment that stores aren't truly ready to ditch flow teams completely
The problem is what I said a while ago. Most Store ETL teams were unable (for whatever reason) to complete the transtition.

One of the things I learned from all those visits becuase of 'The store of the future' is Spot is happy with the stores that completed the transtiton and stuck with it and made it work. It reflects well on their teams.

I expect that 2018 will be a ETL bloodletting year that will make Game of Thrones look light in comparsion.

I expect that ETLs will be blamed for failing to train and maintain.

E2E has made our softlines area a mess. Since the ladies who do the breakout from the truck are no longer supposed to push we have z bars everywhere in softlines. They block up the walkways, which makes it super hard to navigate around especially with the remodel set up with the different displays. I don't see how guests can get their carts around, it is super bad.

seriously, what do you think would solve that problem?

My store is high volume and understaffed right now, but this isn't the case for us. We tuck z-racks in between the clothing racks, always on the carpet and that means they are mostly out of the way. We do z-racks first to get them off the floor. They are typically gone by 11ish I want to say depending on how many pushers we have. Carts are less of an issue and we usually keep them out on the floor. All in all, we usually complete push and backstock around 3pm. How many people do you have working your trucks?
The z-racks are on the carpet, but we have barely any space for them. It is a maze because of the remodel we had recently. The new setup looks good when it is clean, but now it is a disaster all the time.

During dayside I'm not sure how many are there for softlines to do the push but from the flow team we have 3-5 people doing the softlines breakout.

Yes, I agree with that, but in my store the ladies who do breakout still do the push for their area. Others handle the fitting room etc

The ladies who do the breakout used to push the softlines and get a most of it done unless the repacks were super heavy. But since E2E rolled out they do the breakout, then go to push the carts from repacks in the rest of the store. I'm not sure why someone thought it was a good idea not to have them even attempt to push softlines anymore.

The z-racks are on the carpet, but we have barely any space for them. It is a maze because of the remodel we had recently. The new setup looks good when it is clean, but now it is a disaster all the time.

During dayside I'm not sure how many are there for softlines to do the push but from the flow team we have 3-5 people doing the softlines breakout.

The ladies who do the breakout used to push the softlines and get a most of it done unless the repacks were super heavy. But since E2E rolled out they do the breakout, then go to push the carts from repacks in the rest of the store. I'm not sure why someone thought it was a good idea not to have them even attempt to push softlines anymore.

Have you talked to VM-ETL about this? Suggest that it would be more efficient to have others push repack carts rather those the pushers.

See if you do that and they give you a real reason (hours, skill set etc) then they are actually thinking about it. If they give you a BS reply (we all know what those are) then this is my point about the blood letting.

I fully believe that E2E is permanent and that all stores will have it in the totality of there store by 2018. I believe that this was a dry run to see what stores were failing in the mgmt department.

This is only my opinion.

I am not suggesting your ETL is a fool. Its just that some people can't see they way things are unless they are shown it.

Have you talked to VM-ETL about this? Suggest that it would be more efficient to have others push repack carts rather those the pushers.

I don't think we actually have a VM-ETL and I don't think either of our softlines TLs have any real clue what is going on. I was just a backroom team member when this rolled out, and it doesn't effect me that much in what I need to do except the extra carts just sitting the the back room. It just bugs me that the salesfloor looks like crap with all the different racks just sitting there I'm gonna talk to someone on softlines and see if they were ever given a reason.

I don't think we actually have a VM-ETL and I don't think either of our softlines TLs have any real clue what is going on. I was just a backroom team member when this rolled out, and it doesn't effect me that much in what I need to do except the extra carts just sitting the the back room. It just bugs me that the salesfloor looks like crap with all the different racks just sitting there I'm gonna talk to someone on softlines and see if they were ever given a reason.
then the ETL over the sales floor on softlines or the Style ETL. See if you think the salesfloor looks like crap with all the different racks just sitting there then there are guests who think that way too.

Back