MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

Does anyone know roughly how many stores are piloting this "metered unload" or "end-to-end" process? I've seen nothing about it anywhere other than here and to say that it's a pretty significant change is an understatement. Just wondering if anyone knows when we'll here more about this rolling out chain-wide?

Ding ding!

We have a winner. Working flow is one thing. Setting POGs is another issue.

And I honestly think some of the BR would quit before having to work on the sales floor every day.
You have to remember that it won't be just flow tms doing this. For the market role out its about half and half. Salesfloor and flow, we actually have one backroom switching over. You also have to remember that if this happens store wide, they will still have pog tms who already know how to set POGs. Use them to run the teams in different areas for pog resets. This end to end process has a lot of potential. It'll have a lot of ownership over areas. Tl's and etls just have to stay on top of tms and make sure it's going the way it should and if someone starts slipping they need to get talked to or written up.

Tl's and etls just have to stay on top of tms and make sure it's going the way it should and if someone starts slipping they need to get talked to or written up.

I feel like this is going to have unforeseen consequences (or hell, maybe it's what they're doing this for). For instance, much of my flow team is comprised of older TMs who have been with the company a long while and know their push areas backwards and forwards, but they're now being expected to climb ladders with heavy boxes and apparently soon set shelving and fixtures that they might be slow at or not as physically capable of doing anymore. I can't even imagine some of our pricing TMs being able to do any of flow/BR/plano's tasks. So are they planning to send all older or disabled TMs who can't do absolutely every task required of every logistic work center out to cashier pasture or just performance/push them out from the stores?

I feel like this is going to have unforeseen consequences (or hell, maybe it's what they're doing this for). For instance, much of my flow team is comprised of older TMs who have been with the company a long while and know their push areas backwards and forwards, but they're now being expected to climb ladders with heavy boxes and apparently soon set shelving and fixtures that they might be slow at or not as physically capable of doing anymore. I can't even imagine some of our pricing TMs being able to do any of flow/BR/plano's tasks. So are they planning to send all older or disabled TMs who can't do absolutely every task required of every logistic work center out to cashier pasture or just performance/push them out from the stores?
First of all, asants. My flow team is not built on older, more veteran team members. Also, no I don't think they expect to throw someone who isn't able to climb a ladder to do so... As a leader, I will carefully pick out who I want to be pulling the batches. I would want the quickest, most proficient team member to do so. As a team leader, who is very heavily knowledgeable on the logistics aspect if target, and an now a salesfloor team lead I would absolutely love to run an end to end team. I was instocks for two years, that's essentially all this is, except on steroids. There's going to be a need for strong leaders. I can already tell you with absolute certainty that some of the salesfloor team leaders at my store will sink if they have to run a team like this. You have to have knowledge in everything for this to work. You have to make sure everything is running smoothly, because as soon as it doesn't it will crash. I'm super excited for this to be a thing at my store.

THIS!!

I feel like even if we make the change things will naturally fall back to how they are now, because we'all all be "helping" each other- our older TMs will ask us to pull a heavy batch for them or whatever and enough of that will basically just put us back in our normal positions.

In a totally ideal store with a young, strong, self-motivating, consistent (ie, 90% of TMs will stick around for more than 3-6mos) and accountable team this could be totally awesome. But 99% of stores don't have teams that look anything whatsoever like that ideal, so naturally this will be a disaster!

As a leader, I will carefully pick out who I want to be pulling the batches. I would want the quickest, most proficient team member to do so.
But you may not have that choice. The way it's being run at my store at least, each TM has their own custom block on the line based on a batch location, and every morning is responsible for pulling their own batch/es and then passes the equipment on to the next TM. There are many extremely kind TMs who will drop everything to help another TM, but that's barely an option anymore because if you're not done with your autos, push, backstock, scanning, zoning, etc by the time the piece of paper says, you're getting pulled into the office and talked to. It's going to be much less to worry about for your TMs since you're at a store that skews younger, but unless you can talk your flow team into doing dayside shifts and put your day people in the morning, your flow team will be your store's new auto pullers and early backroom tms on truck days.

That seems to be what the whole design of this is, that there are no more "most proficient" TMs to handle the tasks they excellent in. Everyone is expected to be the most proficient at everything.

My store has flow and Plano overnights year round. Are overnight stores being included in this and how would that work?

they are killing off most overnight stores to only those that have to stay overnight due to regulations either by the mall or city they are in. What I was told not sure if true.. But we sure made the cut for an overnight and we are being rolled to 4am.

As a leader, I will carefully pick out who I want to be pulling the batches. I would want the quickest, most proficient team member to do so. As a team leader, who is very heavily knowledgeable on the logistics aspect if target, and an now a salesfloor team lead I would absolutely love to run an end to end team.
Hand picking certain TMs to do certain tasks completely defeats the purpose of having one end-to-end team. Not that I think this process is a good idea, but what you described is basically what we already have, and what the pilot is trying to get away from.

I worked in a ULV store where every single team member could work at least 3 work centers, and most knew at least 5. Every single flow team member could and did cashier without exception. The "end to end" or "Metered unload" process can work. The issue is in the leadership at the stores. Lack of accountability of team members by their leaders. The talent pool seems real shallow these days.
as you said "end to end" can work in a ULV setting with a cherry picked team that has zero attendance problems, no sudden "Life Events" negative or positive. so Basically "End to End" can work in maybe 5 stores that are currently up and running. oh and that fantasy store were Tina went to pasture.

let us just call this what it is a prime grade A smelly Shiat Show of such gigantic proportions that it is so unknowable that it is painful to even contemplate.

bad days bring out the snark.

Exactly what I was thinking and this sound like they let Tina back into the fold. This plan is grade A Platinum Crazy. I hope the Backroom's Accuracy and all others report will no longer mean anything because it is all going to go down hard and fast. the last thing I'd want to see is a bunch of SF, Flow and what not wandering the BR trying to pull or backstock.

It would work fine, but only if BRLA is split up by department/Fill Category, which would make it easier to analyze where the problem lies, and what needs to be fixed (Maybe this is possible already, I have no idea. )

If they are going to come up with these ideas, which to us seem stupid (because they are, without the Tech/Equipment/Software/Analyzable Statistics).

The Problem with Target Corporation is that they never come up with an idea from the ground up. They Launch the idea without any internal supportive structure to it, (Target Canada is easily the #1 example I have of this, shit wait we forgot logistics....), and then will they try a what seems to be a half-assed effort at improving it.

They give you an idea of what they want, however they never explain how to do it, what new resources are available to help achieve their new roll out (Because there aren't any :D).

I work in the backroom and I honestly think once this process hits my store I will be looking for another job. The reason I do backroom is because I have major anxiety when it comes to being out on the sales floor especially during the busy season.

Also, I do not trust half of the people in my store to pull and backstock properly. Location accuracy is hard enough to keep up now when only a few random people come back and backstock without knowing what they are doing. I'm already worried enough about the Market changes, because I doubt those people in my store will care enough to really do it properly.

Does anyone know roughly how many stores are piloting this "metered unload" or "end-to-end" process? I've seen nothing about it anywhere other than here and to say that it's a pretty significant change is an understatement. Just wondering if anyone knows when we'll here more about this rolling out chain-wide?
I heard it's 2 stores per district in my group. I think they want to take our feedback and start to roll it out around a year from now.

I kinda wonder if the ETLs roles would change.... will ETL Logistic become ETL Hardlines/Backroom.... then ETL GE/Salesfloor become GE/Softlines.... and ETL Food..... Just seems pointless to have ETL Log if your only teams are fulfillment and backroom...

This program is doable but it is going to take EXTREME dedication from the TLs and ETLs of each store... some stores will pull it off successfully and some will burn REALLY REALLY badly.

Having worked in leadership for 9 years as a TL and ETL, I can tell you without question that most stores are going to burn because most TLs and ETLs are lazy and or stupid.

BTW... someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this strikingly similar to Wal-Mart department managers?

Anyways ultimately the problem with this shit is there's never enough equipment to go around especially at the lower volume stores. There's a ton of unnecessary footsteps involved not to mention the extreme amount of training.

It can be done and it IS being done successfully but it takes EXTREME back breaking dedication by leadership to stay on top of ensuring that everyone is trained 100% on how to do everything 100% of the time and that shit is going to wear leaders down real quick.
The problem I noticed at my store as soon as I moved up was most TL are not leaders. They are not capable of molding TMs and sticking with them to help them actually grow in the job. Cherry picking good workers is in-fact encouraged at my store. Can't tell you how many of my former flow TMs moved on to be reliable backroom, plano, SFS, instocks, price change TMs. Although it's a pain in the ass when my ETL decides for them that they are needed in the area then they are despondent about no longer being on the team. Take my Plano TL, they're a great TL very knowable and capable of getting us though tough transitions and remodels; utterly incapable of turning new hires into great TMs, good at accountability but he's unable to help TMs, unable to train TMs get past inefficiencies or issues they have with the job. The perception that Salefloor TLs are just highly paid TMs isn't that far off in many cases, the lead part of team leader isn't a requirement of the job.

I kinda wonder if the ETLs roles would change.... will ETL Logistic become ETL Hardlines/Backroom.... then ETL GE/Salesfloor become GE/Softlines.... and ETL Food..... Just seems pointless to have ETL Log if your only teams are fulfillment and backroom...
They do change. ETL ge/sf becomes ETL style and has front end, softlines, domestics/dec home, and cosmetics. ETL log becomes ETL essentials and has all of HL (except domestics/dec home, cosmetics) food (market and Starbucks), and unload/receiving/SFS.

They do change. ETL ge/sf becomes ETL style and has front end, softlines, domestics/dec home, and cosmetics. ETL log becomes ETL essentials and has all of HL (except domestics/dec home, cosmetics) food (market and Starbucks), and unload/receiving/SFS.
What happens to the ETL Food? Or is there no more ETL Food?

What happens to the ETL Food? Or is there no more ETL Food?

I think almost all test stores are ULV P-Fresh right now. So they only had an ETL-SF/GE in the first place.

I think higher volume ST's will likely have an extra ETL added to make up for the change. Where ULV stores had STL, ETL-HR, ETL-SF/GE, and ETL-LOG + Seniors, they now have STL, ETL-Essentials, and ETL-Style + Seniors (reduction of 1 ETL).

ST's currently have a minimum setup of STL, ETL-GE, ETL-SF, ETL-HR, ETL-Food, and ETL-Log. I am guessing they will go to STL, ETL-Style, ETL-Essentials, and ETL-Grocery. I believe in these types of stores Style could continue to cover GE/SL/Home. Essentials would need to cover Unload/Hardlines/Ops, and Grocery would then be the food-side manager in charge of all food operations and freight.

The other rumors I have heard are all ETLs will switch to opening only as they will be in charge of mostly operational success and logistics. Seniors will become like the old "Recovery TLs" who always closed (or at least have 2-3 appointed since its such a large reduction in ETLs).

Last edited:
Well this process is going to depend mostly on the TLs and TMs than the ETLs... especially if they are under ETL Essentials.... that is a lot to be responsible for...plus no ETL HR or ETL AP....and i doubt the STL will help out now that she/he is HR which i think is wrong... who do u go to when the STL is the problem o.o.... if the ETL HR was a problem u would go to the STL...

they are killing off most overnight stores to only those that have to stay overnight due to regulations either by the mall or city they are in. What I was told not sure if true.. But we sure made the cut for an overnight and we are being rolled to 4am.

Lots of truth to this although it's not just regulations. Certain high volume stores such as Northgate are remaining overnight simply because they sell so much stuff they couldn't restock their store in 4 or 5 hours.

Lots of truth to this although it's not just regulations. Certain high volume stores such as Northgate are remaining overnight simply because they sell so much stuff they couldn't restock their store in 4 or 5 hours.
You always could it's just a matter of payroll and getting enough people to do it. I'd think it would be cost prohibited to get places that regularly take doubles+ to try to be near clean and current by 4-5 hours. I can't imagine what it would take given I only work at a 65mil a year store.

Last edited:
Back