ETL confrontation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bu explain to me why I was basically SOL when it came to scholarships? Why was a minority more deserving and needing of help than me? That is the thing that annoys me. This myth that every white person has a great life and never suffers and does nor need help. That is completely racist and false. Minorities can be just as racist as white people. I laugh and smirk when people say otherwise. If a black person hates a person because they are white, that is straight up racism. Please don't make excuses. I was a white guy that wasn't good at sports so I was basically screwed when it came to scholarships. If I had been a minority of some sort, my college experience would have been a lot cheaper. Thank you.
minority college student here.. my college experience has NOT been cheap and I don't get scholarships or financial aid either. Your justification for not getting scholarship money because you aren't good at sports or not a minority shows a sense of entitlement that I'd associate with privilege.

Bu explain to me why I was basically SOL when it came to scholarships? Why was a minority more deserving and needing of help than me? That is the thing that annoys me. This myth that every white person has a great life and never suffers and does nor need help. That is completely racist and false. Minorities can be just as racist as white people. I laugh and smirk when people say otherwise. If a black person hates a person because they are white, that is straight up racism. Please don't make excuses. I was a white guy that wasn't good at sports so I was basically screwed when it came to scholarships. If I had been a minority of some sort, my college experience would have been a lot cheaper. Thank you.
minority college student here.. my college experience has NOT been cheap and I don't get scholarships or financial aid either. Your justification for not getting scholarship money because you aren't good at sports or not a minority shows a sense of entitlement that I'd associate with privilege.

If you didn't qualify for Financial aid, you didn't need it (or try hard enough to get it).

Fact of the matter is minorities take precedence over majorities given all other qualifications the same -- So you're complaining that you have an advantage, and at the same time call ME privileged?

If you didn't qualify for Financial aid, you didn't need it (or try hard enough to get it).

Fact of the matter is minorities take precedence over majorities given all other qualifications the same -- So you're complaining that you have an advantage, and at the same time call ME privileged?

But as we all know identical qualifications hardly ever happen.
Just like no two fingerprints are alike, no two peoples academic records are alike.

And you didn't read this, did you?
White students still have the advantage when it comes to all Financial aid.
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902racescholarships.pdf

But as we all know identical qualifications hardly ever happen.
Just like no two fingerprints are alike, no two peoples academic records are alike.

And you didn't read this, did you?
White students still have the advantage when it comes to all Financial aid.
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902racescholarships.pdf

No two fingerprints are alike, but in the case of academic records there can be close similarity which is effectively identical. This is where things like Extracurricular activities, and race can come into play.

You can't use % based statistics to say a majority gets more financial aid/scholarships. Of course we get a higher % because we consist of a greater portion of the population.

Sure there are some Caucasian only scholarships -- that's our way of fighting affirmative action and reverse discrimination. There are just as many minority only scholarships -- If you really want to fix the problem, end affirmative action and ALL racial profiling.

No two fingerprints are alike, but in the case of academic records there can be close similarity which is effectively identical. This is where things like Extracurricular activities, and race can come into play.

You can't use % based statistics to say a majority gets more financial aid/scholarships. Of course we get a higher % because we consist of a greater portion of the population.

Sure there are some Caucasian only scholarships -- that's our way of fighting affirmative action and reverse discrimination. There are just as many minority only scholarships -- If you really want to fix the problem, end affirmative action and ALL racial profiling.

If you read further down, it's kinda long I know, it goes into Pell grants and general education financial aid.
It also breaks down the statistics.

And you're right it often does come down to extracurricular activities, which is often part of the problem.
At least in the inner city school where my wife taught.
There was no drama club, no band, no debate, in fact the only activity that had money put into was ...
You guessed it sports.
Whenever they went to the school board for money for other things the money wasn't available.

Now I'm not saying a middle class minority won't do just fine but poor white/black/hispanic, it doesn't matter.
They're screwed.
People need to be more pissed off about this.
It's not about color so much as class.
That's one of the other things that study suggests, that if more of the scholarships were based on means than they would be better distributed.

I go to a school that provides a lot of scholarships to minorities only. This really bothers me because it seems like reverse prejudice, right?

Anyways, the comment about being white and not able to receive scholarships - I have to disagree. Coming out of high school I had about 16k in scholarships. This was all spent on out-of-state tuition my first year. I worked for my scholarships by studying for my ACT/SATs to get a good score and doing years of community service work.. They weren't just handed to me. Also, I've noticed that a lot of freshman university students don't even bother filling out a fafsa?! There are opportunities for everyone out there, but you actually have to apply yourself and show you're committed. You just need to look for them and you can't say "Oh, but all of these scholarships are for minorities, so I won't even bother!"

If you read further down, it's kinda long I know, it goes into Pell grants and general education financial aid.
It also breaks down the statistics.

And you're right it often does come down to extracurricular activities, which is often part of the problem.
At least in the inner city school where my wife taught.
There was no drama club, no band, no debate, in fact the only activity that had money put into was ...
You guessed it sports.
Whenever they went to the school board for money for other things the money wasn't available.

Now I'm not saying a middle class minority won't do just fine but poor white/black/hispanic, it doesn't matter.
They're screwed.
People need to be more pissed off about this.
It's not about color so much as class.
That's one of the other things that study suggests, that if more of the scholarships were based on means than they would be better distributed.

Actually there are plenty of opportunities for poor students. I went to St Paul College for a year (minnesota'a inner city community college), and there were plenty of poor minorities including immigrants. Many received aid or scholarships. One kid in my program just came here from Ethiopia and his schooling was all paid for by a program for minorities/immigrants.

In fact at that school, minorities were actually the majority. Seemed like it anyway.

I wasn't talking about poor students though, I think any financially challenged individual should have the opportunity to go to school regardless of race.

I was just being honest. Minorities have a card or chip they can play. I'm white so I can't. It doesn't matter that I've been poor my whole life. Since I'm white, I'm automatically not eligible for affirmative action. Entitled? Maybe so but not because I'm white. It's because I was raised in the time in which teachers and family brainwashed their students and kids that in order to be a winner in life, you have to go to college. It's sad but true. I was brainswashed with the "hard work pays offs" bull crap. Hard work and doing your best do not pay off. I'm 30 and I have found that out the hard way. You have to get lucky, have connections, or be rich to be successful in America.

American society puts way too much pressure on kids when it comes to academics. There is nothing wrong with going to a trade school or a technical school. Definitely nothing wrong with being a beautician, mechanic, or plumber.

The thing that puzzles me is the reasoning behind affirmative action. For example, Native American students can get affirmative action because of what happened to their ancestors in the 1800s. African American students can get the same rewards because of what happened to their ancestors in the 1800s too. I'm sorry but you did not suffer like your ancestors did so why should you get a reward. I am not trying to start a race war or riot or anything. I am just genuinely curious. Yes, racism and prejudice exist in America but people have changed. People are more accepting and tolerant in my opinion. What if I was somehow able to prove that I had an ancestor that was maybe biracial and suffered because of slavery or something of that sort, should I be able to cash in on that? I've done ancestry.com for the past year and I have found no records of owning slaves in my bloodline. A lot of people forget that it was rich white people that owned slaves.

Yes, racism and prejudice exist in America but people have changed. People are more accepting and tolerant in my opinion.

You should take a trip to the south. I was raised in the south and my god can people be racist and prejudiced. I've always found it odd considering some of the more racist areas are part of the bible belt.

Hehe. I live in the south and have lived in here for the majority of my life. Racism and prejudice exist everywhere. People can be racist anywhere and have prejudice any place on this planet. You can't stereotype or generalize the south as racist because there are lot of people from all cultures and backgrounds that get along peacefully. Yeah, some people are racist but it's 2014. Give people a little more credit.

Being a northerner, I don't witness racism that often.. Some people might be a little bit prejudiced (mostly the older folk), but I haven't seen anyone outright hostile over it...

Ever go into a store & have security follow you around?
People asking you repeatedly if you need help (outside of Target)?
Pay with cash & have a cashier count your money 3-4 times?
Make a return with receipt & have it scrutinized while the person ahead of you did a no-receipt return without fuss?
Walk across an intersection & have people waiting at the light lock their car doors when you approach?
Go cruising with some friends, playing music with the windows down & get pulled over by a cop for no reason other than what you are?
Just some of the experiences of my niece's husband down here in the south.

Maybe it's because I'm older but I've lived in the far north and on the east coast.
I've seen racism and bigotry in forms that range from microaggressions to straight out violence.
You have to remember they were still lynching people when I was a kid and Medgar Evers was killed when I was three.
This isn't past history, it hasn't gone away. it's still out there.
I was eight when MLK was murdered.
I know this all seems like the distant past to you but it's still real to most people.
Congressman John Lewis was almost beaten to death when he marched for civil rights during Freedom Summer.
The police looked the other way while men beat on him and kicked him.

Yes the world has changed but not that much, and it is not the wonderful colorblind place you would like to think it is.
Right now they are trying to reverse the voting rights that were fought so hard for back in the sixties.
We are going back to the days of the poll tax all over again.

Really? Where? I'd love to see one specifically FOR "Caucasians" because I've NEVER seen one in my lifetime

Really? Where? I'd love to see one specifically FOR "Caucasians" because I've NEVER seen one in my lifetime

http://dailyprincetonian.com/news/2006/11/bu-club-offers-scholarship-for-whites/

http://dailyprincetonian.com/news/2006/11/bu-club-offers-scholarship-for-whites/
Okay, there have been a handful through the years (I was able to find a few more that have been offered, as this one was, for 1 or two years, never more), but to say "there are just as many minority only" is nowhere CLOSE to being correct. The number of "minority only" outweighs the number of "caucasian only" by the hundreds (if not more)...

Okay, there have been a handful through the years (I was able to find a few more that have been offered, as this one was, for 1 or two years, never more), but to say "there are just as many minority only" is nowhere CLOSE to being correct. The number of "minority only" outweighs the number of "caucasian only" by the hundreds (if not more)...

Actually both sides make up a small percentage of the direct scholarships that are available. They rank right along with the ones strictly for people with red hair or for the children of single mothers (those do exist).

But if you take a look at these links http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/20110902racescholarships.pdf and white women are the primary beneficiary of affirmative action & white students still receive the majority of scholarship money. it is clear that minorities still get the short end of the stick when it comes to ALL money.

We've totally gotten off track from the original point of this thread and I accept much of the blame.
Lets try to get this back on track.

I just want people to admit that there is a double standard when it comes to affirmative action and scholarships. It's considered racist for whites especially white males to get scholarships because they're white but it's not racist at all if a non-white person gets one because that person is non-white.
With that being said, I don't think it really matters. I was very naïve, young, gullible, and too trusting when I was in college. I didn't think things through and I am paying the price for them. The best advice I could give high school students or anyone that has never gone to college is simply avoid doing the things that I did. If you do that, you will save yourself a lot of time, money, and stress. If only I could write a book about it... hmmm maybe it's time to do it.

The double-standard you refer to comes from the fact that white people are inherently privileged, so it isn't racism.

The double-standard you refer to comes from the fact that white people are inherently privileged, so it isn't racism.
Privileged in the fact that we get passed over on jobs for equally qualified minorities due to Affirmative action? Ok.

Privileged in the fact that we get passed over on jobs for equally qualified minorities due to Affirmative action? Ok.

Privileged to the fact that there is a higher ratio of middle managers who are white and people on average hire people like themselves.
Affirmative Action only works in Federal jobs or school situations where the government can actually have some direct effect through funding.

Otherwise you have to depend on company policy and the best efforts of human beings and we all know how that can turn out.

Some people just don't get it. It's fine, they are the people that are going to be missing out in their lives when things don't go how they want due to their prejudice and blindness.

I am thankful to not be that person. :)

Prejudice is a strong word to be throwing around when you are advocating giving minorities precedence over jobs.. Couldn't be more prejudiced IMO.

Prejudice is a strong word to be throwing around when you are advocating giving minorities precedence over jobs.. Couldn't be more prejudiced IMO.

It's not prejudice when you're trying to fix preexisting problems.
And for anybody who wants to tell you that everything is hunky dory I promise you it aint.

It was a battle to get the rights, it was a battle to to a create some kind of equal footing, and that has been eroding from the moment it went into effect because of the push back.
Look at what they have been doing with voting rights as a great example.

Rewarding minorities because they are minorities is straight up racism. If you can't see that, then not much else to say. It's just sad to be honest. Solve racism with racism? I love that logic. That's the type of logic that Target uses. And yes, they do practice and preacher affirmative action at Target.
I can be humble and admit that being white can help when it comes to not being profiled when it comes to law enforcement but in my 30 years of life that's about it. I have been in the lower class or lower middle class my entire life so I really want to know how I have privilege when it comes to money. I'm a white person so that means I'm rich right?

What I don't get is why I and other poor white people get screwed over because some minorities in America had ancestors that were slaves or abused in the Civil Rights movement. I never owned slaves so why the beef with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back