Archived Everything payroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
Payroll. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT PAYROLL AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS. I feel as if our store is about to be shut down, it's doing so poorly. Flow team is absolutely demolishing the way the store looks and operates, POG is constantly behind and I dont understand why, I can feel a collapse coming on. We're being forced to leave work because we don't have the payroll. All the while things are so horrible, the leaders show little to no moral boosting efforts, stay in the offices chatting and mesaing around on iPads and phones. Everything is about money, literally everything. Sorry I'm ranting before sleep.

Last edited:
I got chewed out by the ETL-LOG for staying roughly 7 minutes after work to hand off with my closing GSA and told to write it in a notebook, which.... fine. But our GSTL will take 15 minutes (already at 40 hours, no less) and we never see him get told to wrap it up or add it to a notebook. Team members gather at guest services, chewed out. Three of the ETLs huddle up and discuss trivial BS, who challenges them? We're fed the tripe about sales directing payroll, but then we make our goals and they still cut hours and it seems like everyone's seeing through the veil.

"Did we make sales?" "Yeah, but..." "What's up with that?" seems like a common topic lately. Granted, things can't turn around overnight, but we've been on a slightly winning streak for a couple of weeks now. Nothing's getting better at my store. It's shenanigans.

But our GSTL will take 15 minutes (already at 40 hours, no less) and we never see him get told to wrap it up or add it to a notebook. Team members gather at guest services, chewed out. Three of the ETLs huddle up and discuss trivial BS, who challenges them? We're fed the tripe about sales directing payroll, but then we make our goals and they still cut hours and it seems like everyone's seeing through the veil.

"Did we make sales?" "Yeah, but..." "What's up with that?" seems like a common topic lately. Granted, things can't turn around overnight, but we've been on a slightly winning streak for a couple of weeks now. Nothing's getting better at my store. It's shenanigans.
Hi, devil's advocate here. If a TL takes an extra 15 minutes and they are scheduled for 40 hours, they will have to cut that time later in the week to avoid overtime. Your GSTL could stay an extra 4 hours without adding any payroll because he/she would just leave early a different day. They do need to be responsible with it because you don't want to cut time on a Saturday, but it does not affect payroll in the way that another TM would by staying just a couple minutes.

ETLs aren't paid hourly. Standing around doesn't add payroll because theoretically they could stay late to finish up. Also, they generally work 10 hour shifts and they don't get scheduled breaks the way that we do, so they need some time to breathe. Some ETLs don't work hard and will take advantage of this, but in a lot of cases team members see the ETLs when they sit in their offices for 30 minutes and didn't see the 8 consecutive hours of work that preceeded it. Having said that, any half decent STL should make sure the ETLs stay productive. And the DTL should be all over the STL's ass if the store isn't doing well.

Whether you make sales or not, payroll is going to be shit. Absolute shit. A green sales floor isn't profitable. Success isn't profitable, but mediocrity is. There is a point at which adding $1000 of payroll doesn't result in a sales increase of $1000. Target is somewhere around that point now (and we can all argue whether or not they dipped too far below it, but the truth is that we can't really know).

I got chewed out by the ETL-LOG for staying roughly 7 minutes after work to hand off with my closing GSA and told to write it in a notebook, which.... fine. But our GSTL will take 15 minutes (already at 40 hours, no less) and we never see him get told to wrap it up or add it to a notebook. Team members gather at guest services, chewed out. Three of the ETLs huddle up and discuss trivial BS, who challenges them? We're fed the tripe about sales directing payroll, but then we make our goals and they still cut hours and it seems like everyone's seeing through the veil.

As a company since we are not doing that great, the biggest expense they have to cut is payroll. As a result, stores suffer and moral suffers. At my store over the past few months, turnover has gone through the roof, moral is so low. We have no TMs so the TLs end up being the only TM in the mornings or at night. Also, they don't do what they need to do, rather they do reshop all day.

However, we have not gotten that bad where one can't stay after, sometimes I end up staying almost 30 min after my shift to finish up some things, but if you're at 40 then you just need to cut your overtime at a later time in the week.

Payroll. EVERYTHING IS ABOUT PAYROLL AND IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS. I feel as if our store is about to be shut down, it's doing so poorly. Flow team is absolutely demolishing the way the store looks and operates, POG is constantly behind and I dont understand why, I can feel a collapse coming on. We're being forced to leave work because we don't have the payroll. All the while things are so horrible, the leaders show little to no moral boosting efforts, stay in the offices chatting and mesaing around on iPads and phones. Everything is about money, literally everything. Sorry I'm ranting before sleep.

Payroll is a controllable expense and Target is a public for profit company, unfortunately this means they must cut expenses where they can to maximize profits. I've felt the hours cut at my store as well. Last year I only worked 1 week under 30 hours, this year I've worked probably 2-3 months under 30. Corporate doesn't care that some people live off this job and may not be able to cover rent/living expenses due to the lack of hours.

Backroom in particular has really been affected by the cuts with the scheduled CAF changes. Our backroom payroll went down by half.

It's like that at my store too.... we are not doing good as a whole company.... I've never seen it this bad. I feel like I work at Walmart. The stores being ran on a skeleton crew and the store looks like shit!
It's truly bad. I believe it's happening at the corporate level.

When stores make sales how those hours come back into payroll isn't the most transparent process. My ETL-HR actually looks at the stores needs but I have seen ETLS advocate selfishly for hours without concern for where it's actually needed.

We are riding an angry tiger. Expect things to get more difficult before they get better. On an oddly positive note the worse things get, the sooner some resolution of issues will have to happen. Work hard, work smart and be careful tms.

We are riding an angry tiger. Expect things to get more difficult before they get better. On an oddly positive note the worse things get, the sooner some resolution of issues will have to happen. Work hard, work smart and be careful tms.

Well it's tricky, come November we are going to transition to holiday hours and increase hours to meet the stores sales needs. At least that's what they are doing at my store, explaining to TMS that things will be better in the fall, even though January and February will offer the same massive cuts.

They are cutting to see how close to the bone they can get before they break the bone. But things will never get better, really better.

Whether you make sales or not, payroll is going to be shit. Absolute shit. A green sales floor isn't profitable. Success isn't profitable, but mediocrity is. There is a point at which adding $1000 of payroll doesn't result in a sales increase of $1000. Target is somewhere around that point now (and we can all argue whether or not they dipped too far below it, but the truth is that we can't really know).

Very good points. It really seems like Target is re-branding itself. I think most would agree that shopping at Target used to be a more pleasant experience than shopping at Walmart. Now the tide is shifting/has shifted and the 2 are becoming interchangeable. IF Target can compete against Walmart on price, then the 2 can duke it out. Target has lost its ambiance.

Hi, devil's advocate here. If a TL takes an extra 15 minutes and they are scheduled for 40 hours, they will have to cut that time later in the week to avoid overtime. Your GSTL could stay an extra 4 hours without adding any payroll because he/she would just leave early a different day. They do need to be responsible with it because you don't want to cut time on a Saturday, but it does not affect payroll in the way that another TM would by staying just a couple minutes.

ETLs aren't paid hourly. Standing around doesn't add payroll because theoretically they could stay late to finish up. Also, they generally work 10 hour shifts and they don't get scheduled breaks the way that we do, so they need some time to breathe. Some ETLs don't work hard and will take advantage of this, but in a lot of cases team members see the ETLs when they sit in their offices for 30 minutes and didn't see the 8 consecutive hours of work that preceeded it. Having said that, any half decent STL should make sure the ETLs stay productive. And the DTL should be all over the STL's ass if the store isn't doing well.

My Log ETL after clearing up 8 cages of cardboard that I witnessed (He was already there for 13 hours) before.

db1.JPG

He ended up going home around 1 pm after unloading a double truck at 10pm (the night before), only to come back at 10 pm again to unload another..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back