Archived Feed then Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is big on buying food for the break room. I appreciate the food, but hours are constantly being cut after the holidays. I would take extra hours over free food any day. Could more budget be spent on paying hours then food? How do you feel about this?

Honestly the amount of money they spend on food is minuscule compared to labor costs.
I think the food is a great way to make people feel appreciated and considering how little they get paid it helps on food costs.
But I truly believe that the company could afford to change its business model to one focused on true customer service and make sure the TMs received full schedules.

I don't personally eat the food (buffet style makes me feel sick) but I know many team members who really appreciate free food. I usually take paid time off after the holidays to try and tide me over until hours pick up again. Not a perfect solution but it works for me.

Everybody wants hours but nobody wants to work. Costco has been the exception to this rule though. Truthfully, I would rather schedule 4 TM's for 20 hours instead of 2 TM's for 40 hours. Better reliability in my experience. It may suck for the TM but you control your journey. Nobody is making you work at Target. If you like the job and want 40 hours... I would suggest working up to TL status, get a pay bump, bennies, and 40 hours. If you aren't interested in pursing a TL position then x-train, swap shift board, open up your gahdamn availability(not directed at op but in general). If that doesn't work for you... then oh well.

^^Looking at my store and the changes that were made the past two years, I'd say TLs don't have much job security. We have a tl opening at my store and some of my coworkers thought I should pursue it, but no thanks. Last one in will be the first one out when AE hits. If it's still there after AE org charts or whatever, I might consider it just for the healthcare.

Naturally, I'm looking for another job.

On topic, I like the food. Sometimes I avoid certain things because it's just not sanitary and I work with dirty people, but otherwise, I like it. We have a million themes on our calendar, for this month and they have skipped all of em this week and I'm annoyed by it. There was supposed to be cookies today!

Everybody wants hours but nobody wants to work. Costco has been the exception to this rule though. Truthfully, I would rather schedule 4 TM's for 20 hours instead of 2 TM's for 40 hours. Better reliability in my experience. It may suck for the TM but you control your journey. Nobody is making you work at Target. If you like the job and want 40 hours... I would suggest working up to TL status, get a pay bump, bennies, and 40 hours. If you aren't interested in pursing a TL position then x-train, swap shift board, open up your gahdamn availability(not directed at op but in general). If that doesn't work for you... then oh well.

I think the other problem is that the people want consistent hours as well as enough to pay the rent.
So that each week they know when to plan their doctors appointments, child care, daily life.
Doing the swap shift and opening their availability isn't prone to that.
The best employees are people who are happy and satisfied in their jobs.
The company expecting TMs to live their lives according to the needs of the company gives very little of those two things.

TLs aren't even guaranteed 40 hours. And I rather schedule who is gonna get the job done. Not have a computer tell me who I need to schedule and when.

Companies like Costco know how to treat their employees and that's why most stick around. Target for the most part doesn't and atleast in my district is the reason they can't find good applicants.

TLs aren't even guaranteed 40 hours. And I rather schedule who is gonna get the job done. Not have a computer tell me who I need to schedule and when.

Companies like Costco know how to treat their employees and that's why most stick around. Target for the most part doesn't and atleast in my district is the reason they can't find good applicants.

I guess I never realized that TL's arent guaranteed 40. I mean it makes sense that they aren't guarenteed but my TL's in the past year are averaging like 39.7 hours each. Probably making more than me too(hourly in 40hrs per week) but that's all fine and dandy And trust me... if I could truly make my own schedule and schedule TM's I know will actually show up and get ish done... I would. I also realize that open availability and swap shift is that much more reliable but its gives your a better chance to stay consistent

@sher I am very curious as to see what AE2015 holds for us... I feel like so much changed this last year that how much more can they change? haha that's more than naive but I know changes will come. I just hope my store doesn't go down in ETL/TL headcount. That would literally cripple my store.

No one is secure with Spot...everyone is replaceable....be it team lead, etl, stls or even further up the Spotted ladder. If you don't believe me ask our former CEO...they sure replaced him....and saying that everyone wants hours yet no one wants to work...just not true.

Last edited:
@RCKing, the store size & headcount is the key to ae15.

yeah, I was around for AE14 and we went down an ETL and SL/HL combined to SF which is sickening... my store is down in sales a little bit but we have had a great Q4 sales wise but im thinking that GE will combine with SF.

No one is secure with Spot...everyone is replaceable....be it team lead, etl, stls or even further up the Spotted ladder. If you don't believe me ask our former CEO...they sure replaced him....

I am well aware of this. This is why I bust my azz and stay close with my STL and DTL.

Problem is this paints every TM with the same stroke.
What about those TMs who have put yrs in & been nothing but reliable?
I'd say schedule according to reliability & job performance: if you're punctual, seldom call out, do a great job then you've earned your hrs. Reward loyalty. That would ALMOST make up for the crappy raises.
Almost.

Someone is bitter.. And my work ethic is not in question, but the management practices sure are.. And my availability is what it is since management didn't bother to respect it, so I had to lock it down and pitch a fit every time they didn't bother to ask or the lovely schedule me on a day I had taken off as vacation.. It cuts both ways.. You want people who will work for you, you need to respect them. And target leadership is pretty damn hard to respect.

Work your way up to team lead position? We all know how Spot promotes ( most of the time )...its not all about job performance like it should be its more about kissing ass. Hell, 3/4 of the time they already know who they are going to give the job to before they start interviewing. The whole attitude of " if you don't like it then oh well" is a large reason why Spot has the high turn over rate it does.

Last edited:
Everybody wants hours but nobody wants to work. Costco has been the exception to this rule though. Truthfully, I would rather schedule 4 TM's for 20 hours instead of 2 TM's for 40 hours. Better reliability in my experience.

I would rather schedule 2 people for 30 hours and 1 person for 20. The reliable TMs get the 30+ hours while the unreliable/limited availability get the 20 as well as non critical shift times. Not to mention, that's 2 TMs who will probably be able to score enough hours to get insurance. Benefits have this nice side effect like helping with retention which cuts down on training costs.

It may suck for the TM but you control your journey.

Protip: Not treating your employees like shit makes for a more dedicated and more profitable work force. Target made plenty of money with literally almost double the payroll and TL/ETL positions 15 years ago. They were making enough money that corporate was working on doubling the number of stores between 2000-2010. They were well on the way before the economy tanked.

Nobody is making you work at Target.

At the TM level, switching jobs isn't much of an option. Retail doesn't exactly translate to too many other industries and most other retailers are about the same. Either way, you're scavenging for hours.

If you like the job and want 40 hours... I would suggest working up to TL status, get a pay bump, bennies, and 40 hours.

As has been said, not even TLs are guaranteed 40 hours. They're only guaranteed 30-32 minimum. They are usually the last to be cut though which is why they rarely get less than 35.

If you aren't interested in pursing a TL position then x-train, swap shift board, open up your gahdamn availability(not directed at op but in general). If that doesn't work for you... then oh well.

You say that like opening up availability will magically grant hours, it doesn't. Many TMs with limited availabilities are juggling 2-3 jobs. None of those jobs will ever guarantee a decent number of hours so it's better for them to restrict each job to certain day/time slots and use the shift swap board to cover any gaps. To those people, opening up their availability means making a commitment that is completely one sided and will almost always result in disaster on their part.

Are there stores that have way too many hours? Or maybe are just so under staffed? I actually quit in part because I didn't want so many hours and I kept getting 40 while I wanted 20-ish. In my situation, it was just too much work and stress for me for such low pay. I'm not a special snowflake- but I was surprised at how demanding it was to work there. For shit pay, I'd do a job that was either less stress or less manual labor... But I felt pretty sore after 8.5 hour shifts! No fun. I'm sure they're still hiring too! They lost 4 of us ( non seasonal) all in the same week.

Are there stores that have way too many hours? Or maybe are just so under staffed? I actually quit in part because I didn't want so many hours and I kept getting 40 while I wanted 20-ish. In my situation, it was just too much work and stress for me for such low pay. I'm not a special snowflake- but I was surprised at how demanding it was to work there. For shit pay, I'd do a job that was either less stress or less manual labor... But I felt pretty sore after 8.5 hour shifts! No fun. I'm sure they're still hiring too! They lost 4 of us ( non seasonal) all in the same week.
More than likely, they were severely understaffed. When I first started, I was consistently sore after every shift for about a month. I've moved from Softlines to Deli and I have to say, the drama and politics are not worth the pay even with the workcenter change and raise. I may stick around for another year or two, but it'll only be because there are plenty of people to complain about Target with at my Target.

No what you wanted was fine, you knew your limit to not hurt yourself and be a good employee. Myself, I prefer a 32hr week since I have some physical issues that 40hrs aggravates, my TL understands this and will either short shift me a couple days or drop a day off in the middle of the week if she needed me for a full 40hr. Otherwise I would be calling out for being in pain.

She got much more understanding after she got hurt in a car accident. Sometimes injuries don't really heal.

I was in the same boat of not getting the hours I wanted for 2 reasons, home life AND physical reasons. I was told to get my hours cut I needed a doctors note... funny when I finally had that doctors appointment - he told me the most painful thing I could do for my foot was stand on it. The note wasn't going to be an issue.

My old store is down a GSA, and about to loose another one. They have tried to fill the first hole by asking 8 people that have all turned it down. Too much stress and dealing with a not-so-nice GSTL for the 50 cents an hour. They really need to "fix" the GSA position to make it fall in-between hourly rate wise. I totally would not accept it for the 50 cents either. They could afford to pay me $3 more an hour than anyone else - they can pay a GSA the same. Then they might not have the issues keeping them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back