At my store, if it calls for us to pull a casepack of, say, 6, but we only need 1-5 of it, we leave the rest (usually in the box) at the end of the backroom aisle and the backroom people backstock it into wacos.

Lately, though, ever since ePick was introduced I believe, it'll sometimes call for us to pull only 1 of something even though it was in a casepack of six, so it means leaving incomplete boxes on the shelf. The log etl asks us to not leave the 5 or however many items in the incomplete boxes, and I try to abide by that because the backroom people may think it's full when it's not, makes sense. But if it comes from an open shelf and I'm opening a box of, say, tiny ornaments, it may not be appropriate to leave them loosely in their current location because they belong in wacos now, but I don't always have time to open MyWork and remove them from the lower/upper shelf location and backstock them appropriately. And that's what happens with an employee who DOES know how to backstock; I don't think many, if any, of our seasonal SFS workers were trained in MyWork! (I know I've taught many how to check counts in MyWork, so there's no way in hell they would know backstock or the backroom location report.) But leaving it at the end of the aisle obviously isn't appropriate either, since that would mean stuff that's supposed to be in the backroom location isn't there. I agree that the "Set aside any for backstock" isn't ideal, since it removes stuff from the backroom that another SFSer could need (like the damn LOL Surprise cases) and they may not realize it was just at the end of that aisle and INF it.

I'm honestly not sure what would be the best answer to the problem.

Lol can't "Train these three seasonals for SFS only " when I'm the closing OPU and BR guy. Instead I trained them on OPU until I went to lunch. LOD decided that was the perfect time to get the three of them to pull their own SFS carts and wondered why they each took an hour or more to pull.

Good thing I have some Lagunitas!

RhettB

I've forgotten more than many young ETLs know.
No.
Epick should pick floor locations first, to avoid breaking open that casepack in the first place.
In the event that we have to break a casepack, it's doing it right. The point is to make the picking process as fast as possible. Backstocking unneeded eaches adds time.
Then your only creating more auto fills. In the end, with the backroom pulling it and the sales floor stocking it... how much time is going to be saved under your suggestion?

Last edited:
I’m looking to move soon...
Seattle, expensive, rains nine months of the year and our management is a bunch of morons. And in January we go to a 6am unload.. Yeah that may be the end of my time with spot.. I can't wait 4hrs to get the packing side started and that is how long it is going to take to clear the truck from our packing area. With the 4am unload I can get things going by 8ish but with them going at six am its not going to work at all.

LearningTree

Guest Experience
What is the discrepancy in time for backstocking vs not knowing where the 5 unlocated units are when all 6 that were located were just pulled?
Especially when people are horrible and just leave the box with 5 on the shelf - wouldn't happen if they were prompted to backstock the extra.
Better than higher INF %.

What would you suggest?
I'm not saying leave stuff unlocated on the shelf or in a random cart for someone else to do later. Having flex tms backstock that stuff flies directly against Target's big push to get all orders picked on time. Stores should come up with a better solution that works for their team. For example, I had my team walk down the line and put the extras on the correct push vehicle. That way they can take care of it after the order is picked and it's quicker than going around the store to push on the floor. The items will eventually get pushed and can still be found in the meantime.

Last edited:

LearningTree

Guest Experience
hm Not sure I’m following the posts above about backstocking while picking for SFS/OPU.
At my store, we pull the whole casepack of 6 light bulbs it calls for, leave the 4-5 we don’t need at the end of the aisle, scan the 1-2 we actually need into our batch, and discard the empty box.
Sometimes it calls for 2 that aren’t in a casepack and once I see I only need 1 of them then I’ll backstock the other one back into its spot.

But, that might be too much to ask for some of our newer TMs... it seems figuring out how many items to pull is hard enough. Getting them to realize they pulled a case pack, and wtf a case pack is, and to differentiate between the items they need and those that aren’t part of their order, and to realize they need to backstock the ones that aren’t, and learn how to backstock, and remember to do it, and not be afraid to climb up the ladder, and scan in the right location and the right item...

More harm than good sometimes...
Others are saying leaving the box at the end of the aisle isn't ideal for various reasons (e.g. who's going to do it, if someone else needs it now they can't find it, etc.) If that works for your store and you have enough BRTMs that it'll get dealt with quickly then that's great. However I think most stores operate with very few BRTMs (since the company wants none during the day) so those items would just sit there, or get kicked around, stuffed in a random corner...

In an ideal world where Target's systems are perfect and everything was in the correct place and flex didn't have to haul ass to Mordor and waste time looking for it...then having them backstock right away wouldn't be an issue. It becomes a problem when you've already spent so much time looking for other items in your batch (hello softlines) that you're racing the clock to get your batch done on time. I've seen TMs miss a goal by just a few seconds. It's even happened to me. So if they can shave a few seconds here and few seconds there off their pick time by not backstocking themselves, then I'm all for it. This right here is what corp doesn't understand from their nice air conditioned offices where they only think in terms of ideals and not reality.

So, can someone enlighten me about how orders are routed to stores? My assumption was that when you place an order on Target.com, your order gets routed to the store with on hands. But this is clearly not the only consideration.

I base this on where we send orders. I'm in Ohio. Most of our orders are 4 or more states away. And, it's sometimes items any Target routinely carries. For example, paper towels. We shipped paper towels, one package, to Brooklyn, New York. What? Alaska? Sent it. California? Yep. Hawaii? Aloha.

So how is this possibly cost effective for the company. The margin on a pack of paper towels can't possibly pay for the time it takes to pick it, pack it, figure in the packing materials, and labor/gas to ship it from Ohio to New York.

So, can someone enlighten me about how orders are routed to stores? My assumption was that when you place an order on Target.com, your order gets routed to the store with on hands. But this is clearly not the only consideration.

I base this on where we send orders. I'm in Ohio. Most of our orders are 4 or more states away. And, it's sometimes items any Target routinely carries. For example, paper towels. We shipped paper towels, one package, to Brooklyn, New York. What? Alaska? Sent it. California? Yep. Hawaii? Aloha.

So how is this possibly cost effective for the company. The margin on a pack of paper towels can't possibly pay for the time it takes to pick it, pack it, figure in the packing materials, and labor/gas to ship it from Ohio to New York.

My store is in the SE of the US. It is not uncommon for us to ship orders to CA, OR, WA, and AK. I don’t get it.

I think Target is eating the cost of shipping from less than ideal locales in order to boost reliability.
If I order a product, I expect to get it, in a reasonable time. Doesn't matter to me as a guest where it comes from. It does matter if it gets cancelled (due to excessive volume of orders, lack of stock, etc) or takes longer than quoted.

Amanda Cantwell

Guest Service & Photo
My guess is we have such a big contract with UPS or USPS or whatever that it doesn’t *really* matter. Shipping really isn’t *that* expensive. I ship items on eBay every once in a while... it’s surprisngly cheap and that’s without the bulk rate target gets

RhettB

I've forgotten more than many young ETLs know.
My guess is we have such a big contract with UPS or USPS or whatever that it doesn’t *really* matter. Shipping really isn’t *that* expensive. I ship items on eBay every once in a while... it’s surprisngly cheap and that’s without the bulk rate target gets
Our last 2 income and earnings reports fell short due to the shipping costs. Sales are great, but.... free shipping isn't really free on the balance sheet.

But this is the same braintrust that implemented modernization.

I see job listings for Fulfillment and Just in Time Fulfillment. What's the difference?
Meaning you are temp for a week or two then unemployed again. What the "just in time" people were last 4th quarter.. In other words fucking useless help. Not trained no time for training so given the most mundane tasks that even then were screwed up.

Yet every SFS TM, myself included, has been cut to about 10 hours next week, even though we lost our captain, so those hours should be in the mix. Cool.

Next week is Green Monday.. gonna be busy.
And I was told I was gonna get some nice overnight shifts for the days surrounding that, yet all I have is a handful of four hour shifts! I do not want to hear any more about going to stores 45 miles away because nobody ordered supplies, how we're still picking and packing past 6, etc. I'm not trying to make myself sound better than I am: I'm not as fast as they'd like, I'll fully admit it. Regardless, the disconnect is frustrating, when you're being told how impressed multiple people are with your growth and then nothing. I'm not seasonal and like I said, our captain got another job so I figured I'd be safe after the holidays since I've moved up seniority-wise, but now I'm not so sure.

There needs to be a forced task when picking from a case pack designed area from the stockroom.

For instance..

Pull 4, 1 needed for order.

Some people now just set the other 3 at the end of the aisle. Epick needs to make the picker backstock the unneeded quantity. Now you need to toggle to MyWork to do this.
We just built this functionality and it will be released in January.