No, not exactly. The job is to fulfill orders in the allotted time. That's priority 1 through 100. If we have to cut corners to get it done so be it. If I "cheat" and pick something from the floor instead of the back, no one is going to say shit. On the other hand, if I miss goal times because I'm moving crap around in the back to get to an item, STL is going to tell me to go to 3 so he can bitch about it.

This.

I have a barcode generator app on my phone for this exact problem. If I can't get to it in the backroom or I'm on the other side of the store I just punch in the BR location, scan it out, take from the salesfloor, and scan it back into the BR location.

More often than not I've been scheduled as BR doing autopulls and pushing them with the occasional OPU. That stuff will find itself to the floor.

I have a love/hate relationship with this new system of back stocking partial cases. It slows things down a lot, especially when the back room aisle I'm in is packed full with boxes, pallets, and U-Boats. I'm sure leadership wouldn't approve, however I've decided that squeezing myself through and/or climbing over boxes to get to a location is significantly faster than moving everything out, just to push it all back in. But with this new way of back stocking partial cases, it usually means I have to get myself in and out of the aisle twice. Once to retrieve the item and scan it into my cart, and a second time to scan the partial case into nearby hold location.

I do like that it forces TMs to back stock partial cases, rather than just leave them in an aisle for someone else to deal with another day. I'm hopeful that it'll help keep our back room cleaner. But honestly, I don't know if it's really making much of a difference. I'm trying to stay positive though.

My only issue with the new system is usually the boxes that I never have room for on my cart. It's often difficult to find a boxcutter, and then I lose my bottom levels until I can break them down and/or get to the baler, which is another way to slow down batches.

I wish we would've had the feature during the holidays when items were being requested multiple times and not backstocked from a previous order. This meant it may only give a floor location which may be empty, and you'd have seasonals just INFing things because whoops, it's not in any of the salesfloor locations and they weren't told "Hey, take a look at the stuff at the ends of backroom aisles or flatbeds/carts if it was accidentally placed on a pull cart!" Then again, that would've required them to be trained to backstock, and they were barely trained to do their main SFS jobs.

I'm gonna give you all a few pro-tips I implement. Obviously, ASANT and use at own risk.

Tip 1
Pulling from the backroom steel locations can be tricky, and sometimes unnecessary when it's a PIPO. So, I use this trick to pull paper from the floor instead.

1. Save this site to your phone's browser:

2. Choose Barcode Type:
Code 39 Full-ASCII

3. Enter Data:
Should look like this: 99B100A01
Do not hit enter. Do not add spaces. Just one long string

4. Press Show Barcode
Now scan it with your gun and away you go.

Caution using this trick to pull anything that isn't considered a PIPO. You might think you can cleverly pull 2 and backstock 1 to fix those accuracy issues. However, you won't be able to STOW using these digital barcodes. Don't ask me why, I just know it doesn't work.

Tip 2
IF you have a dedicated Zebra printer for your OPUs, you can print off the printer's ID barcode and take it with you.
Then when you finish your OPU batch, you can scan that barcode and the rest of your order. This will print the order tag (hit reprint to print more than 1). Hit OK and your order is ready to stow into the OPU hold area.

You can also use MyWork to print up an extra SHP cart location. Pick something you know isn't used often. SHPXX might be good. Reprint it with 1 child location, SHPXX01. This is the important tag. You can start a batch from a child. So, take your SHPXX01 tag and stick it to the back of your printer ID tag... now you have a pocket location and printer that you can carry anywhere.

Tip 3

Who wants to walk down a valley. Climb the ladder. Grab that case pack of 12 items. See that the order only needs 1. Climb down the ladder with that case pack. Remove the 1 item and put it into a cart hold location. Walk back down the valley, while looking for an available open waco to stow those remaining 11 items. And finally figure out where to dump that empty box?! Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

If you climb up that ladder; scan that case; put in 12; and see it wants 1; you can then type in a cart hold location (if none already exist for that order, be mindful not to type in a location you've already used). Then you can take that one out, leave the case pack and restow the rest right back where you got them (minus that 1). I know, I'm terrible. I don't do it all the time, just when there's too much other bullshit to deal with.

Anyway, like I said, use at your own risk.

I never have room for [ boxes ]on my cart.
I don't carry boxes. I break them down using the boxcutter clipped to my belt (that I've had for a year or more, geez it's not that hard to keep track of your stuff). Then i leave them on whatever backstock tub is nearby. I literally dont have time to walk to the baler, and I need my cart clear.

I'm gonna give you all a few pro-tips I implement. Obviously, ASANT and use at own risk.

Tip 1
Pulling from the backroom steel locations can be tricky, and sometimes unnecessary when it's a PIPO. So, I use this trick to pull paper from the floor instead.

1. Save this site to your phone's browser:

2. Choose Barcode Type:
Code 39 Full-ASCII

3. Enter Data:
Should look like this: 99B100A01
Do not hit enter. Do not add spaces. Just one long string

4. Press Show Barcode
Now scan it with your gun and away you go.

Caution using this trick to pull anything that isn't considered a PIPO. You might think you can cleverly pull 2 and backstock 1 to fix those accuracy issues. However, you won't be able to STOW using these digital barcodes. Don't ask me why, I just know it doesn't work.

Tip 2
IF you have a dedicated Zebra printer for your OPUs, you can print off the printer's ID barcode and take it with you.
Then when you finish your OPU batch, you can scan that barcode and the rest of your order. This will print the order tag (hit reprint to print more than 1). Hit OK and your order is ready to stow into the OPU hold area.

You can also use MyWork to print up an extra SHP cart location. Pick something you know isn't used often. SHPXX might be good. Reprint it with 1 child location, SHPXX01. This is the important tag. You can start a batch from a child. So, take your SHPXX01 tag and stick it to the back of your printer ID tag... now you have a pocket location and printer that you can carry anywhere.

Tip 3
Who wants to walk down a valley. Climb the ladder. Grab that case pack of 12 items. See that the order only needs 1. Climb down the ladder with that case pack. Remove the 1 item and put it into a cart hold location. Walk back down the valley, while looking for an available open waco to stow those remaining 11 items. And finally figure out where to dump that empty box?! Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

If you climb up that ladder; scan that case; put in 12; and see it wants 1; you can then type in a cart hold location (if none already exist for that order, be mindful not to type in a location you've already used). Then you can take that one out, leave the case pack and restow the rest right back where you got them (minus that 1). I know, I'm terrible. I don't do it all the time, just when there's too much other bullshit to deal with.

Anyway, like I said, use at your own risk.
I use this website, Free Online Barcode Generator - https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php . Never had any problems STOWing or TAKEing, or I use @Mikuhl ’s app myStore app barcode generator. I clip a HIP printer on my cart along with Drive Up bags & Pick Up bags and bag as I pick items. I hand key everything in as I walk to the SD or FOS locations, slap the label on the bags and my order is done besides seeing what location to put them when I get there. I use SHPDA-Z for DU orders & SHPOA-Z for OPU orders to keep separated what bag I need to use. With multiple carts going I easily forget when I used to use my initials. We would work very well together @PogDog . I like the way you think.

I use this website, Free Online Barcode Generator - https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php . Never had any problems STOWing or TAKEing,
I use the same website as Run and never have and have never had a problem STOing or TAKEing even when it was on a PDA. (Except I had to prefix an L and end with a % back then - L01A100A02%)

I use this website, Free Online Barcode Generator - https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php . Never had any problems STOWing or TAKEing, or I use @Mikuhl ’s app myStore app barcode generator. I clip a HIP printer on my cart along with Drive Up bags & Pick Up bags and bag as I pick items. I hand key everything in as I walk to the SD or FOS locations, slap the label on the bags and my order is done besides seeing what location to put them when I get there. I use SHPDA-Z for DU orders & SHPOA-Z for OPU orders to keep separated what bag I need to use. With multiple carts going I easily forget when I used to use my initials. We would work very well together @PogDog . I like the way you think.
Just download this app.
myStore for Spot by Mikuhl
‎myStore for Spot - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mystore-for-spot/id1449655041?mt=8

Last edited:
I use the same website as Run and never have and have never had a problem STOing or TAKEing even when it was on a PDA. (Except I had to prefix an L and end with a % back then - L01A100A02%)

What barcode type do you guys use? I don't see Code 39 full ASCII there, and just tried putting in a backroom location that wasn't accepted.

I don't carry boxes. I break them down using the boxcutter clipped to my belt (that I've had for a year or more, geez it's not that hard to keep track of your stuff). Then i leave them on whatever backstock tub is nearby. I literally dont have time to walk to the baler, and I need my cart clear.

We're not allowed to leave the boxes anywhere, they have to go with us. The ETL-LOG regularly yells at SFSers for not taking them with us 😕

Anyone know the official unit goal for pack productivity? We just started 2.0. The newest thing from my new ETL is that we each have to be at a minimum of 90 units for pack but he's making us prep each order as we pack it.

Last edited:
Anyone know the official unit goal for pack productivity?

It's 80-ish units an hour, from what I was told over the holidays. Approx 30-35 to pick, 80 to pack. Prep a cart by shoving clothing in baggies, making sure the tags are visible, taping closed liquids, and taking spider wraps off...then scan to prep/prep complete. You dont need to do the whole scan an item in the prep menu scan it back nonsense.

For comparison, I consistently do 150-200 pack an hour, and even my non-regulars can manage 80-90, usually, though it's also hard to get in the swing of things for some and that's okay.

but he's making us prep each order as we pack it.

As in...not prepping the whole cart (at the prep station) then moving to go pack? Until the dtl waltzed into our store and yelled at my etl-log about us not utilizing our prep tables we did too. And still met pack speed goals, if a little less "efficiently".

So, no worries dude, it just takes some practice and 90 an hour isnt a crazy unit goal. 😊

Last edited:
From what's posted on myperformance 2.0 it's 36 units per hour pick and 87 units per hour pack.
Thanks for grabbing the exact numbers! I can never for the life of me remember, since we were told once at like 3am on Thanksgiving and the entire holiday season is a blur now 😂

It's 80-ish units an hour, from what I was told over the holidays. Approx 30-35 to pick, 80 to pack. Prep a cart by shoving clothing in baggies, making sure the tags are visible, taping closed liquids, and taking spider wraps off...then scan to prep/prep complete. You dont need to do the whole scan an item in the prep menu scan it back nonsense.

For comparison, I consistently do 150-200 pack an hour, and even my non-regulars can manage 80-90, usually, though it's also hard to get in the swing of things for some and that's okay.

As in...not prepping the whole cart (at the prep station) then moving to go pack? Until the dtl waltzed into our store and yelled at my etl-log about us not utilizing our prep tables we did too. And still met pack speed goals, if a little less "efficiently".

So, no worries dude, it just takes some practice and 90 an hour isnt a crazy unit goal. 😊
I don’t do it often but we’re a smaller store for SFS and typically only have one person a day for 8 hours and they can get it all done 95% of the time. We always prep as we pack. “Prep” the whole cart then just physically prep prep the items as we go.

We're a restock store and relatively high volume. We used to prep while packing but were told with the remodel and prep stations last year that we're meant to prep separately from packing. ETL won't even let us prep the cart and then pack it which is what the process guidelines suggest. They want us to prep each individual order while packing it. It's not efficient at all.

Knowing that prep bags and bubblewrap are only at prep stations now. Say pack has me scan an order of a tshirt, I have to take the shirt to the prep station and prep it mid-pack. Next order is a pair of pants. Return to the prep station mid-order. Next order, glass plates. Back to the prep station. That's how this ETL wants us doing it.

Last edited:
We're a restock store and relatively high volume. We used to prep while packing but were told with the remodel and prep stations last year that we're meant to prep separately from packing. ETL won't even let us prep the cart and then pack it which is what the process guidelines suggest. They want us to prep each individual order while packing it. It's not efficient at all.

Knowing that prep bags and bubblewrap are only at prep stations now. Say pack has me scan an order of a tshirt, I have to take the shirt to the prep station and prep it mid-pack. Next order is a pair of pants. Return to the prep station mid-order. Next order, glass plates. Back to the prep station. That's how this ETL wants us doing it.
I thought all store are restock stores? I don’t think it’s any different than regular SFS. We were never told we’re specifically a restock store but we have metrics for it on greenfield. I just assumed it was the same as rush where it randomly drops in

Back