Are they going to have an indicator on the label that they are different? Something like (Container 1 of 3, 5 items in container)

Otherwise, I could easily see that as being something that won't be communicated to every TM and it will only be after GS has a problem with scanning out an order that some people will find out about it.

If there's a visual change on the label and an indicator of which particular bag it goes to, at least people like me will have a fighting chance of figuring out that it's important to get that right without being told.

That will also make having a reprint function pretty important, I think. I guess it would have to look like a list of the past few orders you've picked that you'd then drill down to see each container (1 of 3, 5 items, something like that would work great for that as well)

For multiple bags what I do is fill a bag, create label, then locate it. So that label will only have the stuff in that bag. Then scan more stuff into another label. I try to group things into Waco's if its large items I make sure each item gets a sticker. If there is three bags, I make sure each bag is labeled. Each car seat, plastic bins, boxes of diapers all get a label. I try to give guest service a fighting chance of finding all the stuff.

For multiple bags what I do is fill a bag, create label, then locate it. So that label will only have the stuff in that bag. Then scan more stuff into another label. I try to group things into Waco's if its large items I make sure each item gets a sticker. If there is three bags, I make sure each bag is labeled. Each car seat, plastic bins, boxes of diapers all get a label. I try to give guest service a fighting chance of finding all the stuff.

Yeah I do that too. I'm just saying that if each label is now going to be tied to the items that were scanned before printing it, an indicator on the label of which bag (or container would probably be a better word since sometimes if a guest orders several big things including a sterilite, I'll put things in the sterilite rather than having 5 things that wont fit in a bag) that label belongs to would be pretty useful. Especially for reprints done after the fact, if that's ever added as an option.

I print out a label for each large item that gets stowed in our bulk hold locations. For small items I take a guess how many bags it will take. Scan all the items. Reprint as many labels as necessary plus one more if I'm not certain while walking to a hold location. Scan the hold location, then go back to bag, apply labels and put the items away.

This general method does not apply if things are slow and I have lots of time, in which case I'll scan, bag and print label for each bag. Then stow them in hold. It also does not apply when things are insane and there really isn't time. That's when I'll scan everything putting it the end of the service desk as I go, print A label, give my desk to the TM behind the desk to scan an empty hold location, then I'm off to the next pick. The GS TM uses the info on the one label to write stickies to place on any additional bags. Obviously, that is not best practice.

I'm a recent hire earlier this week for SFS at our store. I'm the only one. I have quite a few problems that I'm not sure are just because I'm new, or if this sounds like bull to anyone more experienced.
Here's what's up:
  • I'm replacing someone who has worked SFS for ~4 years, so there's no way my metrics are matching hers for a bit. she's moving onto something with the remodel.
  • I am also expected to do every OPU and drive-up on top of doing my SFS. SFS seems like it's usually around ~120. OPUs for my shift probably come around to a little under half that.
  • I understand the store layout already, as well as how the items are labeled. it's pretty easy and intuitive.
  • The only things that slow me down are softlines, the occasional weird display, not knowing when it's acceptable to INF because I don't have time to run around with an RFID in children's seasonal or whatever, and not thinking properly because I'm so dehydrated.
  • Our store is doing gangbusters from the backroom people I've gotten to know. Apparently hitting 200%+ expected sales easily. We are also the smallest store in the state. (it is not tiny, but compared to others, maybe.)
  • The packing routine seems easy, and I'll obviously get faster at it as time goes on.
I'm 8-4:30, and my day usually goes something like doing all the OPUs and drive-ups in the morning until 11? Even then, I've needed FF help. For example, today in my last hour I had just like, 20 or so to pack. Simple enough, right? Nope, kept getting OPUs and the process of walking back and forth ate up my time. ETL radio'd that "I really had to get shipped by 4:30" despite no one even coming to pick up on the weekend. After the morning, it's juggling SFS... which is probably 4 or 5 batches, and the small OPUs that come in. Any time I feel overwhelmed, i'm just supposed to "radio FF for help" (everyone I have asked for what to do when my work inevitably gets overwhelming has just sort of shrugged and said to FF, like even they know it's a messed situation?)

Can someone shed some light on my situation? I nearly had a breakdown in my car after my shift today because I'm not sure if handling this is worth it -- I'm a seasonal hire and told them in the interview that I'm doing this for a few months on top of another income source to expedite moving somewhere else/resuming career path.

Does this seem feasible at all for one SFS member to do? Why is part of my job constantly radioing for people to help with my job? Why not just get another hire? It seems like I'll be getting consistent 40s, which is cool. But man, of the jobs I've had, there's hard work, and then there's this impossibility.

Last edited:
Does this seem feasible at all for one SFS member to do?
Yes and no. I've done it by myself with an 8 hour day (tho I've been doing it for 7 months, not a few days what are they thinking I'm so sorry), but OPUs are the sticking point, and honestly if you get more orders than normal things can go downhill fast.
Honestly, minimum of 2 peeps for Ship is necessary on normal days. Someone to do a majority of the work and a mid or closer to help even out OPUs and finish the pack. Just to make sure it does get done by 430 (which is always the hard deadline, no matter if it's getting picked up that day or not).

So it really is very unrealistic for them to think a brand new hire could possibly do it every day consistently by themselves. Itll get easier over time, but honestly Ship is so much stress even when properly staffed. I'm sorry you got thrown into the deep end with this.

I'm a recent hire earlier this week for SFS at our store. I'm the only one. I have quite a few problems that I'm not sure are just because I'm new, or if this sounds like bull to anyone more experienced.
Here's what's up:
  • I'm replacing someone who has worked SFS for ~4 years, so there's no way my metrics are matching hers for a bit. she's moving onto something with the remodel.
  • I am also expected to do every OPU and drive-up on top of doing my SFS. SFS seems like it's usually around ~120. OPUs for my shift probably come around to a little under half that.
  • I understand the store layout already, as well as how the items are labeled. it's pretty easy and intuitive.
  • The only things that slow me down are softlines, the occasional weird display, not knowing when it's acceptable to INF because I don't have time to run around with an RFID in children's seasonal or whatever, and not thinking properly because I'm so dehydrated.
  • Our store is doing gangbusters from the backroom people I've gotten to know. Apparently hitting 200%+ expected sales easily. We are also the smallest store in the state. (it is not tiny, but compared to others, maybe.)
  • The packing routine seems easy, and I'll obviously get faster at it as time goes on.
I'm 8-4:30, and my day usually goes something like doing all the OPUs and drive-ups in the morning until 11? Even then, I've needed FF help. For example, today in my last hour I had just like, 20 or so to pack. Simple enough, right? Nope, kept getting OPUs and the process of walking back and forth ate up my time. ETL radio'd that "I really had to get shipped by 4:30" despite no one even coming to pick up on the weekend. After the morning, it's juggling SFS... which is probably 4 or 5 batches, and the small OPUs that come in. Any time I feel overwhelmed, i'm just supposed to "radio FF for help" (everyone I have asked for what to do when my work inevitably gets overwhelming has just sort of shrugged and said to FF, like even they know it's a messed situation?)

Can someone shed some light on my situation? I nearly had a breakdown in my car after my shift today because I'm not sure if handling this is worth it -- I'm a seasonal hire and told them in the interview that I'm doing this for a few months on top of another income source to expedite moving somewhere else/resuming career path.

Does this seem feasible at all for one SFS member to do? Why is part of my job constantly radioing for people to help with my job? Why not just get another hire? It seems like I'll be getting consistent 40s, which is cool. But man, of the jobs I've had, there's hard work, and then there's this impossibility.

Breathe. The good news is that seems doable. I'm not really sure about the packing and how long that takes, but the total units you are being asked to pick is doable in half your shift, so plenty of time to pack (?). I do that just doing OPUs. But, a lot is going to depend on how well other processes are getting done around your store. If they aren't getting done, picking takes longer. Yes, picking that many items in that amount of time is exhausting. But, it can be done.

It's not remotely fair, however, to expect you to do it in your first week at the store. It will get easier for you. Even softlines will get easier. Partner with softlines TMs to help you. That's how you learn and you'll find yourself needing to ask them less and less. For knowing when to INF, you need to know what your store's metrics are at any given time and how likely it is you can find an item not in the right location. Ask for training on this. Ask for some hardlines training in general. Knowing how to read the information available in MyWork is vital and hardlines TMs should be able to train you on how to interpret the numbers.

Things will get easier. You're just doing this for a few months. Keep telling yourself that and you'll make it through.

Breathe. The good news is that seems doable. I'm not really sure about the packing and how long that takes, but the total units you are being asked to pick is doable in half your shift, so plenty of time to pack (?). I do that just doing OPUs. But, a lot is going to depend on how well other processes are getting done around your store. If they aren't getting done, picking takes longer. Yes, picking that many items in that amount of time is exhausting. But, it can be done.

It's not remotely fair, however, to expect you to do it in your first week at the store. It will get easier for you. Even softlines will get easier. Partner with softlines TMs to help you. That's how you learn and you'll find yourself needing to ask them less and less. For knowing when to INF, you need to know what your store's metrics are at any given time and how likely it is you can find an item not in the right location. Ask for training on this. Ask for some hardlines training in general. Knowing how to read the information available in MyWork is vital and hardlines TMs should be able to train you on how to interpret the numbers.

Things will get easier. You're just doing this for a few months. Keep telling yourself that and you'll make it through.

Thanks for the kind words and advice.

I learned about how to read store fulfillment and all that earlier on today's shift, so I know to keep an eye on that if I feel like I'm INFing too much.
I can't remember the names presently, but MyWork is the floor/back/hand counts, when it was received, next shipment, etc, right? if so, I get that too, just not when there's like, 3 on hands and I can't find them. Those have been my usual INFs because of the aforementioned crunch feelings. I feel adequately trained, I've been told by TLs and my ETL that I picked every thing up "remarkably quickly" which is nice to hear, but it's hard to show presently.

I've been trying to tell myself your advice, and hopefully it sticks. I'm not sure yet myself, I have tomorrow off and will ruminate on how my progress is throughout the next work week -- I feel as though I might have jumped the gun on a second job I'll accept for $12/hr. @.@

I obviously don't want to quit and make things harder for the store (retail stockholm syndrome? I have yet to be able to detach my emotions from my work.) but oof, it's real rough.

Here's what's up:

You may want to try a few other ways of splitting up your workload to see if slightly varying how you plan your day helps. For example, if your ETL will allow you to pause SFS carts for softlines items that you couldn’t find immediately (completed orders in those carts could still be packed), then you could plan on using the RFID around 1:00 to hopefully find a few of those items and close out the carts (I’ll make notes of which carts have items to be RFID’d and which departments. Also may want to note if item was delivered recently).

While you’re doing OPUs or other carts you may stumble upon an item you needed for a paused batch. That’s a much better feeling than INFing an item, then seeing it later on in a random part of the store.

For reporting/metrics purposes they want all items “packed” (now technically Sorted) by 4:30. The orders don’t necessarily have to be physically packed by then, but at least scanned out in the Pack and Ship app. They do have to be packed prior to the next day or you risk getting way behind very quickly.

Try to gauge when OPUs tend to spike during the day. For my area it’s from 11am - 1pm (guests online shopping while eating lunch at their desk, etc.) and then again a little before 4:00. Don’t be afraid to let the ETL know you’re getting overwhelmed or that you may need some help with OPUs so you can finish SFS tasks.

I used to think I had to be able to do everything they were asking of me because I didn’t want to seem less competent. However, I was then given feedback that I should be asking for help earlier rather than after I’m already at risk of missing an OPU or SFS deadline. If you have to get the packing completed (you’ll soon have a good sense of how long that will take), then you can tell your ETL that ‘you can get those 20 orders packed, but if more than a couple of OPUs drop you may need some help to get it all done.’

I can't remember the names presently, but MyWork is the floor/back/hand counts, when it was received, next shipment, etc, right? if so, I get that too, just not when there's like, 3 on hands and I can't find them. Those have been my usual INFs because of the aforementioned crunch feelings.

Yeah, that's MyWork. Other important data in there is when an item was last audited, autofilled, and sold. When you put all of the numbers together it gives you a good idea what is going on with a particular item. So, for an easy example let's say you have an OPU for a box of tampons. MyWork says 2 on floor, 0 in back (0 on hand). No recent delivery date. No recent autofill. Last audited 128 days ago. Last sold 37 days ago. The tampons are not at the shelf location. There's no sense looking for them. They were likely stolen at some point. But, do get together with the team lead for that section of the store when you have time and request an audit of the area.

For your 0 on the floor, 0 in back, (3 on hand) things, that's where store knowledge comes in. Finding those is a matter of knowing where someone might have put it if they put it in the wrong place on the floor. Where it went before the latest revision is a good starting point, but you don't know that if you're new. Could it be in the backroom just not properly located? It might be. Where exactly in the back? That comes with knowing your store. Ask fellow TMs who work in the section for help when needed.

Don't be afraid to INF. Just follow the rules at your store for doing so and try to keep it under 5%. If you can't keep it under 5%, then you need to talk to leadership because as long as you are doing everything you need to do, the high INF% is the result of problems in other work centers that need to be addressed.

Are they going to have an indicator on the label that they are different? Something like (Container 1 of 3, 5 items in container)

Otherwise, I could easily see that as being something that won't be communicated to every TM and it will only be after GS has a problem with scanning out an order that some people will find out about it.

If there's a visual change on the label and an indicator of which particular bag it goes to, at least people like me will have a fighting chance of figuring out that it's important to get that right without being told.

That will also make having a reprint function pretty important, I think. I guess it would have to look like a list of the past few orders you've picked that you'd then drill down to see each container (1 of 3, 5 items, something like that would work great for that as well)
This. @mobilelady @taytay on the label having “bag X of Y, Z items in bag” would be very helpful for GSTMs.

Here's what's up:

Who’s scheduled for Flexible Fulfillment when you are off?
One person is somewhat doable for SFS when it’s a low workload, around 125-200 DPCI. If OPU is put into play, it will make it more difficult. When OPU starts dropping heavy, more than 3 orders in an hour and you still have an amount for SFS workload then call for support. Yes it’s annoying to call for support when sometimes the ETL doesn’t care but it’s better than getting called out for missing deadlines.

Depending on your stores INF policy, you might need to get approval for each INF which doesn’t sound like in your case. When looking for an item, check the location it gives and double check if there is an endcap nearby that may have it. If there is a TM in the area, partner with them and ask if they’ve seen this recently. Afterwards, tap on the DPCI in blue text to get more details (but you could open MyWork and enter the DPCI if the blue text is not working). On the first page it’ll list “# on floor, # in back (# on-hand)” to which you would only care about the # on-hand. Now tap on the name/title of the item and it’ll take you to a second page. You would focus on the auto pull, Audit, delivery and sold dates. Go based off of that information to make an educated guess on where to search.
1 on-hand with a delivery of 68 days ago but sold 17 days ago, let’s check only the backroom aisles incase it’s unlocated and guest service incase it was returned. 2 on-hand with delivery 87 but sold 2 days ago, check guest service (also backroom aisles if you have time). 4 on-hand with a deliver of 7 days ago but sold 16 days ago, let’s check receiving for vehicles, backroom for vehicles and those backroom aisles.

Flexible Fulfillment relies on the entire store to do their processes otherwise we fail as a store. We are essentially guest but with more resources at our disposal.

Flexible Fulfillment relies on the entire store to do their processes otherwise we fail as a store. We are essentially guest but with more resources at our disposal.

I wish my store believed this. We are left twisting in the wind and no back up from upper leadership. It has taken a year for my ETL to figure out it isn't us who are failing, when we were cleaned up for inventory our INF % dropped like a stone and as the shit show has returned so has our INF%.

But until the numbers turned up we were just lazy..

If the Target app shows an item is in stock but the shelf location is empty, do you prefer a guest asks a TM if there are any in the back or for the guest to place an online order for OPU? Just curious what you all think. For me being inbound, every minute I'm assisting a guest is a casepack not getting pushed. Not saying I won't retrieve something from backstock, but it makes it look like I'm not pushing very fast to my TL.

If the Target app shows an item is in stock but the shelf location is empty, do you prefer a guest asks a TM if there are any in the back or for the guest to place an online order for OPU? Just curious what you all think. For me being inbound, every minute I'm assisting a guest is a casepack not getting pushed. Not saying I won't retrieve something from backstock, but it makes it look like I'm not pushing very fast to my TL.

If your store has the item, whether that be in the backroom or the sales floor you should be assisting that guest in getting the item. Telling them they need to place an order isn’t helpful imho. Everything else is secondary when a guest needs something and your ETLs should understand that

High Priority** Stores in the upper midwest may feel a sudden heavy increase in SFS orders throughout the rest of the day into tomorrow. One of the Target.com DC's went down due to a system outage and their workload is being pushed into stores. This is an ongoing situation that has quickly spread to multiple support teams. There is no ETA.
Thanks
@Sarakiel

If the guest is in-store, I’d prefer to ask a TM. When they order pickup, they expect it ready for pickup minutes after ordering and will bark at guest service when it’s not ready.
The only expectation is there is an online only promo, they have the items with them and they let a TM member know. Luckily two guests did that too me as I was talking to them. I picked and processed their order where we stood.

Who’s scheduled for Flexible Fulfillment when you are off?
One person is somewhat doable for SFS when it’s a low workload, around 125-200 DPCI. If OPU is put into play, it will make it more difficult. When OPU starts dropping heavy, more than 3 orders in an hour and you still have an amount for SFS workload then call for support. Yes it’s annoying to call for support when sometimes the ETL doesn’t care but it’s better than getting called out for missing deadlines.

Depending on your stores INF policy, you might need to get approval for each INF which doesn’t sound like in your case. When looking for an item, check the location it gives and double check if there is an endcap nearby that may have it. If there is a TM in the area, partner with them and ask if they’ve seen this recently. Afterwards, tap on the DPCI in blue text to get more details (but you could open MyWork and enter the DPCI if the blue text is not working). On the first page it’ll list “# on floor, # in back (# on-hand)” to which you would only care about the # on-hand. Now tap on the name/title of the item and it’ll take you to a second page. You would focus on the auto pull, Audit, delivery and sold dates. Go based off of that information to make an educated guess on where to search.
1 on-hand with a delivery of 68 days ago but sold 17 days ago, let’s check only the backroom aisles incase it’s unlocated and guest service incase it was returned. 2 on-hand with delivery 87 but sold 2 days ago, check guest service (also backroom aisles if you have time). 4 on-hand with a deliver of 7 days ago but sold 16 days ago, let’s check receiving for vehicles, backroom for vehicles and those backroom aisles.

no idea who's scheduled. I only work the weekdays.

how am I supposed to check the backroom aisles when it could theoretically be anywhere in backstock? this seems like a not feasible use of my already crunched time.

how am I supposed to check the backroom aisles when it could theoretically be anywhere in backstock?
You check down the backroom aisle it should be in, anticipating that someone just didnt scan it into backstock correctly. Just a quick look through if it says you have quite a few of whatever item, to be able to say you checked all the likeliest places.

I wish my store believed this. We are left twisting in the wind and no back up from upper leadership. It has taken a year for my ETL to figure out it isn't us who are failing, when we were cleaned up for inventory our INF % dropped like a stone and as the shit show has returned so has our INF%.

But until the numbers turned up we were just lazy..

That’s sad that they treat you like that. When we have one person on OPUs and staffing is short our Logistics ETL will cover OPUs during TM breaks and will even help out SFS by getting ship alones, etc. Our store execs understand that bad Fulfillment metrics reflects poorly on them (sure, they bring the blame down to us too, but that’s after they’ve been chewed out by the DTL).

Back