Archived Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do the same customer(s) keep frauding us?! No big deal to me but how about to you?

Last edited:
This girl comes everyday getting things from make-up and returning it

How is she returning it? With a recipt? Without? If she has a recipt, report the transaction to AP and let them deal with it. If not, she's only allowed so much in her ID.

It's amazing when someone seeks an answer for a question, yet shares as few details as possible to make answering more difficult.

@tvrgetblvck, is she returning items that she purchased with coupons? Or is she grabbing items from the floor and trying to return them? If the latter, then you need to get your AP involved.

If they know they will get something for free, they will do it.

If they keep "frauding" you, stop them. Or at least tell your leadership so they can tell you to stop them.

Until they deny the return & the guest/thief screams for an LOD who doesn't back them up.

Meh, TM who has backbone just tells the guest no, period, and then doesn't even call over the LOD :p

The ETL that's not present, will never contradict me.

There are a number of things you can do given circumstances.

1- If they are selecting it from the sales floor, and passing all points of sale without rendering lawful payment before conducting a no-receipt return on the unpaid merchandise. This is otherwise known as obtaining money by false pretenses, and is usually a felony depending on where you live. Get AP involved as they are able to apprehend people for this and prosecute them to the full extent of the law upon witnessing it.

2- If they are entering the store with the merchandise and conducting no-receipt returns. This is a bit trickier because there is no way to prove a crime is being committed without a broad investigation by AP. The items may be initially stolen, only for the individual to return later and perform a return. On the other hand, the items may be stolen from another retailer (i.e. Walmart) and returned, in which case, it will be up to that other retailer's loss prevention to do the investigating. Target AP will provide video to law enforcement to assist in these investigations upon request.

3- If the items are being purchased with coupons and are returned no-receipt. This is very frustrating but until corporate changes their policies, there is nothing we can do about this particular offense. Since Corporate now wants to basically accept all coupons, people who used to steal from us and risk jail time now simply fraudulently launder money from us at no risk to them because they know AP can't touch them. I honestly used to do entire investigations into these groups back when out policies were more strict on them, but now its just a waste of my time since nothing is ever done to these people any more. With these people, there is literally nothing you can do except petition corporate to change their policies which, lets face it, only benefit dishonest "guests"; however, given Target's broken 'vibe' focus, I don't see them changing this any time soon as they would rather ensure a few guests are happy so the vibe score stays up, even while hundreds of these coupon fraud perpetrators clean our shelves to resell, which hurts our suppliers.

1. Seems correct.

2. You can deny any return that doesn't have a receipt. Our policy says that items without a receipt may be denied refund or exchange. I just point to that sign and repeat it. They tell me that they know I can do it with their ID, but I stare at them and repeat the board until they leave. One time, someone called back and said she called guest relations on me, but my STL never got a hot alert about it so she either didn't call or she did and guest relations didn't give a shit.

3. If it doesn't have a receipt, we can deny it as I said above. If it does have a receipt, we can still deny it at our discretion. In the fall, Target sent out a new coupon policy saying we are allowed to 1) deny any coupon we want for any reason at the time of the sale and 2) deny returns that have excessive manufacturer coupons. If someone has a ton of P&G items (they always have tons of coupons), I'll at least consider denying the return. If they have a receipt, I'll base it off of that. If they don't have the receipt, I'll start the return, get the receipt ID, look it up, and then deny it and say it's because they didn't have a receipt.

Doing it even just once has stopped a few guests. Some will come back in a few months when they think we've forgotten about it. Some keep trying. It's a never ending battle, but it feels good to turn away these dishonest people. They'll find new stores to do it at, but I won't have it at mine.

There are a number of things you can do given circumstances.

1- If they are selecting it from the sales floor, and passing all points of sale without rendering lawful payment before conducting a no-receipt return on the unpaid merchandise. This is otherwise known as obtaining money by false pretenses, and is usually a felony depending on where you live. Get AP involved as they are able to apprehend people for this and prosecute them to the full extent of the law upon witnessing it.

2- If they are entering the store with the merchandise and conducting no-receipt returns. This is a bit trickier because there is no way to prove a crime is being committed without a broad investigation by AP. The items may be initially stolen, only for the individual to return later and perform a return. On the other hand, the items may be stolen from another retailer (i.e. Walmart) and returned, in which case, it will be up to that other retailer's loss prevention to do the investigating. Target AP will provide video to law enforcement to assist in these investigations upon request.

3- If the items are being purchased with coupons and are returned no-receipt. This is very frustrating but until corporate changes their policies, there is nothing we can do about this particular offense. Since Corporate now wants to basically accept all coupons, people who used to steal from us and risk jail time now simply fraudulently launder money from us at no risk to them because they know AP can't touch them. I honestly used to do entire investigations into these groups back when out policies were more strict on them, but now its just a waste of my time since nothing is ever done to these people any more. With these people, there is literally nothing you can do except petition corporate to change their policies which, lets face it, only benefit dishonest "guests"; however, given Target's broken 'vibe' focus, I don't see them changing this any time soon as they would rather ensure a few guests are happy so the vibe score stays up, even while hundreds of these coupon fraud perpetrators clean our shelves to resell, which hurts our suppliers.
Returns, even with a receipt, can be denied at the stores discretion. The policy has always been that we could.

If it doesn't have a receipt, we can deny it as I said above.
You can deny any return that doesn't have a receipt.

This is true, however, as I briefly ranted, vibe usually counteracts this. At least at my store it does.

We get hit by large groups, i'm talking these people will clean our aisles of all sonicare and crest white strips when they hit. Our STL has given specific instruction to accept all coupons, and so far, has never allowed any GSTM to deny a return unless the returning individual has exceeded the return on their ID for the day (and even then he makes the GSTMs continue to accept returns if the individual has a bystander use their ID). He does it to keep the vibe score up, understandably, as these shits who hit our store constantly leave abysmal reviews when they don't get their way. That's a small part of why I hate Target's vibe model.

Understand that while we are technically able to deny returns, this is almost never the case, at least not anywhere in my district. These groups wreck us and will continue to wreck us until Target implements some major policy changes and gives more power to GSTMs and less reign for our "guests" to effect the GSTM's ability to do their job without fearing counselings.

Understand that while we are technically able to deny returns, this is almost never the case, at least not anywhere in my district. These groups wreck us and will continue to wreck us until Target implements some major policy changes and gives more power to GSTMs and less reign for our "guests" to effect the GSTM's ability to do their job without fearing counselings.

I don't fear counselings as this is a second job (of which I'm nearing my rope's end tbh), so when I'm at the SD and I see an obvious fraudster come in, I put on "the face," look at them and tell them in as monotone a voice as I can get, sorry, I can't do this return. USUALLY, most people will pick up their crap and leave. But occasionally I've had someone challenge me. Once, the idiot tried to recite policy to me, except he left out the part about Target reserving the right to refuse any return. And I just kept repeating it until AP and LOD came over. Be gone, stupid. I don't have the patience for that foolishness.

Sometimes when I would get a return like that, I would call tsc and ask if they were going to be going to dunkin donuts on their break. I would ask them to pick me up a coffee. I would get off the phone and say - I was told I can't do this return unless you have a receipt. It worked most of the time.

If your leadership takes that stance then oh well.

The coupon fraud needs to be stopped at the register before you can even work on the returns. If they can't do a transaction it's pretty hard for them to do a bad survey.

After the data breach it was standard practice to vibe and allow it. But your STL needs to realize that was over two years ago. Initially your scores may dip but once people figure out your store won't allow it they will eventually give up and go somewhere else. Enabling them to do it just hurts other stores.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back