Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

Spoiled kid about 8 years old: Mom I wanna get this!!
Mom: No put that back, we are NOT buying any toys today!
Kid: Why the fuck not??!
Mom: RYKER ADAM JOHNSON JUNIOR!!! YOU ARE GROUNDED!!!
Kid: Oooooookay whatever!
Mom: AND you lose your XBox privileges for 2 months! DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME!!!!!
Kid: *mimicking* "DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME"

They walked out of toys so I didn't hear the end of it but I was trying not to laugh my ass off LMAO...Mom will probably never recover from this roast

I had Goldilocks in RTW today, I kid you not. She stopped me and showed me two denim shorts (not the same style) and said "I can't find something that will fit me. This one looks too big and this one looks too small." I looked at the sizes and she was holding a 6 and a 10. I said "Maybe you should try a size 8." and she said "That's a size?" I sooo wanted to bang my head on my cart.

Her brother was in my store buying bicycles. I was seriously expecting his bank to freeze his card due to the frequent transactions. He came in early and bought a 24" girls bike. Came back in about an hour into my shift to return that, bought a 28", told me that the small one just didn't feel right. Came back when I had about a half-hour left (I was working a mid) to return that one, said it was too tall. I didn't see him come back through again. So we had two "repackage" bikes sitting just outside GS when I left.

Her brother was in my store buying bicycles. I was seriously expecting his bank to freeze his card due to the frequent transactions. He came in early and bought a 24" girls bike. Came back in about an hour into my shift to return that, bought a 28", told me that the small one just didn't feel right. Came back when I had about a half-hour left (I was working a mid) to return that one, said it was too tall. I didn't see him come back through again. So we had two "repackage" bikes sitting just outside GS when I left.

Which is why I tell people to go to a local bike shop.
They will make sure the bike fits you, let you ride it around the parking lot, adjust the seat so you aren't hyperextending yourself and make sure the bike is properly put together (not a slam at the bike builder here on the forum, you guys are great).
That way there won't be any of this BS.

Which is why I tell people to go to a local bike shop.
They will make sure the bike fits you, let you ride it around the parking lot, adjust the seat so you aren't hyperextending yourself and make sure the bike is properly put together (not a slam at the bike builder here on the forum, you guys are great).
That way there won't be any of this BS.
As a bicycle commuter, I feel scummy every time I recommend a Target bike.

Guest coming up with a hundred dollar item saying the price tag said it was for $0.01.
“Ma’am that’s for the display not the actual product.”
“Okay then I’ll take the display for a cent.”
“The display is not for sale.”
“Why? It says it costs a cent.”
“This item is $100 would you like to purchase it or not.”
“You’re telling me you won’t honor the price you advertised?”
“I’m not going to honor that price because that’s for the display and not the product. I can’t help that you read it incorrectly.”
“Wow unbelievable I don’t want it then.”
Good someone else will buy it and pay full price LOL

Anyone know why the fuck the displays have that stupid .01 sticker on them anyway? It would be nice if they had the actual DPCI of the item because signage gets moved around or taken down and it would be nice to be able to scan the item itself to check. I had a guest ask me about a lamp that was on display but I couldn't find the location or signage for it, and I wasted about 30 minutes scrolling through 500,000 search results in the Zebra before I finally located it. It turned out to be a discontinued DPCI that plano forgot to take down and throw away. Had there been say, a sticker with a real DPCI on the bottom of it I could have figured this out in 10 seconds instead.

I've used something to the effect of "oh, the displays aren't real furniture, they're just made to look like the furniture but they don't actually hold weight and break really easily" and most of them accept it.

Doesn't always work. We aren't allowed to sell our baby furniture on display because a lot of them are mock ups sent by the manufacturer so the guest can see how they look. Every single one of the mock ups has lettering sewn in lining in an "in your face" type that says "DISPLAY ONLY; NOT TO BE SOLD" or something like that. So I had a guest that wanted one of our display strollers and I explained the safety issue and that it was not able to be sold because it literally was NOT safe for their kid to be put in (even showed them the writing) and they tried to sneak it up to the register and buy it anyway. The cashier read the sign sewn in the seat lining and looked at the guest and said "I'm sorry, I can't sell this to you." -_- Seriously... how could you want something so badly that you'd be willing to risk the safety of your child? I don't get people. One of our high chair displays one year didn't have any support in the seat back. You could literally push it over backwards with your hand but it said "DISPLAY; NOT TO BE SOLD" or something like that.

You repackage them? I just clean them up, rinse the tires off and put them back on the floor...unless there's cosmetic damage. Any physical damage (besides like a busted off reflector) I just defect the whole thing. Thing is they usually sell faster if you don't put some sticker on it indicating someone used it before. Keeps me sane. I hate seeing a bike sit on the floor so long that it literally collects dust and gets damaged by guests due to repeatedly taking it down and us having to put it back up.

That's what LOD told the SD to do. GSTL didn't even know on the first one.

OMG. My GSTL and I had a guest like this at the Photo Lab of my old store. The guest made an order for over 100 5x8 photos(not the standard size, very slow to print and very expensive). We'd told her it was going to be expensive before started printing, but she said to go ahead. Prints are finally finished and she decides she doesn't like them. We remake the order in the standard size(4x6) and she has the gall to ask for the 5x8 for free(over a dollar per photo) since we were going to throw them away. My GSTL just stared at her as she dropped the 5x8s in the trash, then told her no. Probably the closest I've seen that GSTL come to snapping at a guest.

I have guests do that all the time at photo, cafe and Starbucks. Some of them do it on purpose to try to get extra stuff for free.

I have guests do that all the time at photo, cafe and Starbucks. Some of them do it on purpose to try to get extra stuff for free.
I’ve had that happen. Answer is always no. Sometimes if they’re pushy I say actually we recycle and do get a credit for them (probably not true but whatever)

Someone one time returned milk and then the next guest asked if she could have it free. No you may not milk is $1-3 go buy it yourself

Me: You should go to guest services.
G: Ok, but what should I do about this?
Me: go to guest services.
G: Should I just go to guest services to fix it?

*Mom and her 6 kids at the end of the transaction getting ready to pay*

One of her kids: Thank you very much! *gives me thumbs up*
Mom: Shut the fuck up, we're not even done yet. I need to talk to her. Stop bothering people and keep quiet

...jeeze

I hate when I see abusive parents and partners. It is at the level where it isn't illegal here so I can't call the cops, even if I had enough information on who the offenders are. Although some of it should be illegal, such as "spankings" aka hitting little kids. I always try to catch the eye of the abused and give them a kind and understanding look "it will be okay someday...life doesn't always have to be like this. (((HUGS)) Not everyone is like this..." If they are in my lane I'll try to actually talk to them and just have a friendly conversation while I also try to calm the abuser down. "What did you do at school today? What is your favorite color?" and so on. And "I have a coupon for you! Yes, having kids is hard, I get it..." There was this one parent that kept on calling their what looked like a 4 or 5 year old stupid over and over again, while screaming at them. I felt so bad. I was at cafe and I gave them a free fruit and encouragement. But what else can I do? I have a few more terrible stories like this one, unfortunately. Then there is also the overly neglectful parents.

I’ve had that happen. Answer is always no. Sometimes if they’re pushy I say actually we recycle and do get a credit for them (probably not true but whatever)

Someone one time returned milk and then the next guest asked if she could have it free. No you may not milk is $1-3 go buy it yourself

I was at GS just like two days ago and a guest returned something. It was salvage and they go "can I have it?" I know sometimes people just don't want to see things get thrown away. I'm like that. But that is why, if for example I get a wrong drink at Starbucks or whatever I'll just take it. Then it doesn't have to get thrown away! There are people who tell you the wrong drink, watch as you make it all, take it and say "that isn't what I wanted!" Then they take the new one without giving the "wrong" one back. I've seen 3 of the same people do it at the same Starbucks. I assume it does work sometimes. It is so awkward when you have to tell adults to give back a drink or food they didn't pay for and that they say they didn't want. At out GS we donate pretty much everything to thrift stores and food banks. The only times we don't is when it belongs to a vendor or is defective. So, I just tell guests that.

That reminds me there was a person at Starbucks who wanted a Camel Frapp. Before we made it they go "actually I wanna try the new seasonal iced tea. We ring them up, make the tea. They come back 5 minutes later and say "actually, I want the Frapp". And they wanted it for free. The barista did just make it for them, no charge. I just deal with the consequences. When I try new things, sometimes I don't like them and wish I got something else, but I don't expect for me to get the item I know I wanted for free.

I was at GS just like two days ago and a guest returned something. It was salvage and they go "can I have it?" I know sometimes people just don't want to see things get thrown away. I'm like that. But that is why, if for example I get a wrong drink at Starbucks or whatever I'll just take it. Then it doesn't have to get thrown away!

Yeah I hate seeing unopened food getting thrown out when it's returned. I toss them out as expected but I make sure to put the TOSS sticker on it and throw out right in front of the guests. Some of them have actually commented that they didn't know we had to do that and would just keep it in the future. I even had one lady ask about the return policy for alcohol as she was checking out. The bottle was very expensive so I told her we could return it with the receipt and it would get tossed out to ensure the safety of our guests. She looked shocked and decided she would gift it if she didn't end up needing it instead. Mission accomplished.

Yeah I hate seeing unopened food getting thrown out when it's returned. I toss them out as expected but I make sure to put the TOSS sticker on it and throw out right in front of the guests. Some of them have actually commented that they didn't know we had to do that and would just keep it in the future. I even had one lady ask about the return policy for alcohol as she was checking out. The bottle was very expensive so I told her we could return it with the receipt and it would get tossed out to ensure the safety of our guests. She looked shocked and decided she would gift it if she didn't end up needing it instead. Mission accomplished.

Wow, my state alcohol is not returnable. I had no idea it could be returned in other states.

And in my state, you have to be 18 to sell alcohol, but 21 to return it.

I don't think I would ever return alcohol...... seems "unnatural". My home is sort of a "preservation" for booze, albeit brief. Any bottle would be happy to join it's "friends" in our bar. The more the merrier, right? And, Yetive...... there's a completely separate bar just for Wine :)

Back