Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

Things I get asked daily as a SCO Monitor:

-Do you have any more of these in the back?
-Can I have an application?
-How much do I have on this gift card?
-(After they’ve gone through a checklane and already paid for their stuff) My cashier double charged me can you fix it?
-Can you take these security tags off/take my items out of the security cases?
-Can you ring me up?
-Do you sell *weird random item I’ve never heard of*?

Like good lord I get so damn frustrated every time I have a self checkout shift. I am literally just standing here. I have 0 equipment. No I can not do any of those things for you. With what? How do you expect me to any of these things? Why are you asking ME of all people and then get mad when I can’t help you?? WHY DO YOU THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO ASK THE SELF CHECKOUT PERSON FOR ANYTHING LIKE WHAT IS THE THOUGHT PROCESS!!! I spend like all my time fielding these dumb ass questions and then the people that are using the machines that I’m actually supposed to be helping have to wait on me because I’m having to explain that no I can’t check your gift card balance any cashier can do it yes I’m serious literally go in any line yes I’m sure yes they can do it again no I can not do it here I literally do not have anything on me to find out I am literally just a person standing here I can not help you
Really? You don’t get a zebra? I work SCO almost every shift and all cashiers (guest advocates) are required to check out a walkie and a zebra. SCO attendant also checks out the sco keys which has the magnetic key to unlock cases and spiderwrap.

I’m five steps from a regular register where I can check a gift card balance or correct a double scan if guest service is backed up. I constantly look up items for a guest on the zebra as well as on the app on my phone to help direct them to the correct aisle or to see if we have any backstocked.

SCO is much more than just standing there. At least at my store we need to be interacting with every guest.

-(After they’ve gone through a checklane and already paid for their stuff) My cashier double charged me can you fix it?
-Can you ring me up?

Like good lord I get so damn frustrated every time I have a self checkout shift. I am literally just standing here. I have 0 equipment. No I can not do any of those things for you. With what? How do you expect me to any of these things? Why are you asking ME of all people and then get mad when I can’t help you?? WHY DO YOU THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO ASK THE SELF CHECKOUT PERSON FOR ANYTHING LIKE WHAT IS THE THOUGHT PROCESS!!! I spend like all my time fielding these dumb ass questions and then the people that are using the machines that I’m actually supposed to be helping have to wait on me because I’m having to explain that no I can’t check your gift card balance any cashier can do it yes I’m serious literally go in any line yes I’m sure yes they can do it again no I can not do it here I literally do not have anything on me to find out I am literally just a person standing here I can not help you
At my store SCO tms get a zebra. Maybe ask for one? Also for the GC balance you could check on the closest register but I also hate the “my cashier double charged me”

I don’t get a zebra or a walkie :( all I have is the keys that open the machines. If someone is buying something that is in a case or whatever I have to walk allllllll the way around to the nearest checklane (huge gap of space between the last register and the SCO area) and unlock it and then walk alllll the way back and hand it to them. Same thing with a gift card I guess, but I really shouldn’t be having to leave the area unattended for so long just because someone decided to ask me of all people. It’s easier for everyone if they ask a cashier, GSTM, or even a GSTL. The guests at my store are dumb as hell and if I step away for a minute pretty much every single machine will have a red light when I come back so they can’t be left unattended at all

I don’t get a zebra or a walkie :( all I have is the keys that open the machines. If someone is buying something that is in a case or whatever I have to walk allllllll the way around to the nearest checklane (huge gap of space between the last register and the SCO area) and unlock it and then walk alllll the way back and hand it to them. Same thing with a gift card I guess, but I really shouldn’t be having to leave the area unattended for so long just because someone decided to ask me of all people. It’s easier for everyone if they ask a cashier, GSTM, or even a GSTL. The guests at my store are dumb as hell and if I step away for a minute pretty much every single machine will have a red light when I come back so they can’t be left unattended at all
Oh at my store SCO is right at the lanes so it’s easy. We’re getting a remodel soon though so who knows

SCO gets a walkie so they can call for guests first or anything a cashier my need. They also get a zebra to help cashiers with guest issues, like price matching. For the zebra, they normally just take a MyCheckout device because we have plenty of those that don't get used.

Really? You don’t get a zebra? I work SCO almost every shift and all cashiers (guest advocates) are required to check out a walkie and a zebra. SCO attendant also checks out the sco keys which has the magnetic key to unlock cases and spiderwrap.

I’m five steps from a regular register where I can check a gift card balance or correct a double scan if guest service is backed up. I constantly look up items for a guest on the zebra as well as on the app on my phone to help direct them to the correct aisle or to see if we have any backstocked.

SCO is much more than just standing there. At least at my store we need to be interacting with every guest.

-Can you ring me up?

Yes, there is alot more to SCO than standing in one place( good luck with that one). Which proves your point about being asked dumb questions from Captain Obvious while trying to give the best customer service at the same time praying nothing being stolen.

At my store SCO tms get a zebra. Maybe ask for one? Also for the GC balance you could check on the closest register but I also hate the “my cashier double charged me”
A zebra definitely helps at my store isn't enough to go around. I liked to try and get to my guest before they have to ask for help. Which takes alot of multi tasking. Captain Obvious can be a bit frustrating. But that is the" nature of the
Beast " so to speak.

I'm pushing merchandise on the shelves a guest ask me,are yall hiring for people who just stock the shelves I swear um rayCharlestodabullshit,😎

This AM as I'm walking to the TM entrance just before we open, a guest asked me if I could let her in since it was just a few minutes till we opened. I might have sounded a little rude when I said "we open at 8". Sheesh it is July. You won't melt.

*at guest service*
Guest: did anyone turn in a phone?
Me: no, sorry I haven’t had any turned in.
Guest: what if someone found it and gave it to an employee?
Me: then that employee would bring it here.
Guest: there’s no other place it could be?
Me: no, the lost and found is up here.
Guest: okay *walks away*

*a couple minutes later*
Random TM over the walkie: hey has anyone found a phone?
Me over the walkie: if they did it would be turned in at guest service and there are no phones here.

*at guest service*
Guest: did anyone turn in a phone?
Me: no, sorry I haven’t had any turned in.
Guest: what if someone found it and gave it to an employee?
Me: then that employee would bring it here.
Guest: there’s no other place it could be?
Me: no, the lost and found is up here.
Guest: okay *walks away*

*a couple minutes later*
Random TM over the walkie: hey has anyone found a phone?
Me over the walkie: if they did it would be turned in at guest service and there are no phones here.
Me: let me check
Me: *goes behind the wall and responds to a text, because I know we haven’t gotten a phone in*
Me: nope sorry not yet but def call back and check!!

To be fair, it might be in transit, so a walkie check is worth it. A lot of lost items were turned in to me at the fitting room, and it's a long walk. I once had a woman ask me if I had a lost item, I sent her to GS, and the item turned up after she left me. (Fortunately GS had a line so she was still there when I walked up.)

I usually have the guest retrace their steps and stop back in to GS before they leave if they haven't found it yet. If it's a missing phone, I'll offer to call it for them.

Guest: Excuse me, can you tell where’s the nearest Target?

Me: From this Target location, the nearest one fro—

Guest: Wait—from this Target location? This is Target??

Me:

Me, slowly pointing at the Bullseye™️ sign above our heads: Yes...?

Guest:

Guest: *turns around immediately and leaves the store*

I died from second-hand embarrassment that day.

Guest: Excuse me, can you tell where’s the nearest Target?

Me: From this Target location, the nearest one fro—

Guest: Wait—from this Target location? This is Target??

Me:

Me, slowly pointing at the Bullseye™️ sign above our heads: Yes...?

Guest:

Guest: *turns around immediately and leaves the store*

I died from second-hand embarrassment that day.
Please tell me that you’re in a mall and that they didn’t have to park in front of a bullseye, walk past the big red balls, and the giant target sign to ask that 😂

Please tell me that you’re in a mall and that they didn’t have to park in front of a bullseye, walk past the big red balls, and the giant target sign to ask that 😂

I would have died from more second-hand embarrassment if that were case, oh my gods.

Naw, we got our own two-story building along with a six-leveled parking structure with no clown-ass orb decors and the Target™️ sign people have zero awareness about like they do with Cartwheel signs

Back