Archived Guests with Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know; what do you THINK I should do?
Because keeping a gun on hand for what MIGHT happen pales against what I know WILL happen if I keep a gun in my house where there are kids & an elder in early stages of dementia.

There's a local family who is now locally famous because the dumbass of a mother left her 4 year old to play in the home with a gun. Kid shot himself, and no charges brought against her. Makes me sick to people say things that support dumbassery like that.

I mean, a Glock 19 with a rail mounted light, in a biometric lockbox on the nightstand wouldn't be a bad idea. But you said no guns, so I guess hopes and prayers?

Didn't work out to well with this family...

The Cheshire Murders and the Illusion of Safety

Cliff Notes: Dad clubbed over the head with a baseball bat, wife and 2 young daughters raped, murdered, and set on fire by subhuman filth.

There's a local family who is now locally famous because the dumbass of a mother left her 4 year old to play in the home with a gun. Kid shot himself, and no charges brought against her. Makes me sick to people say things that support dumbassery like that.
And that's terribly unfortunate, the mother should have absolutely faced charges. That's negligence, and there's no excuse for that.

I mean, a Glock 19 with a rail mounted light, in a biometric lockbox on the nightstand wouldn't be a bad idea. But you said no guns, so I guess hopes and prayers?

Didn't work out to well with this family...

The Cheshire Murders and the Illusion of Safety

Cliff Notes: Dad clubbed over the head with a baseball bat, wife and 2 young daughters raped, murdered, and set on fire by subhuman filth.

Unsure how a gun would have helped in this case.

There's the Catch 22 of the moment: Do you leave a gun where you can get to it quickly hoping that none of the kids find it?
Or do you keep it in a nightstand drawer where you most likely will NOT get to it in time?
Do you go thru a daily routine where you keep your gun locked during the day, remembering to get it out every night to put under your pillow? Remembering each morning to return it to lock WITHOUT FAIL?
Knowing that if you forget JUST ONCE, a child could die?
Keeping the gun locked might keep a family member from being able to use it during the day if the kids are home & surprise a burglar but leaving it unlocked is more likely to result in an accidental death.
In the Cheshire murders, a gun on the nightstand wouldn't have changed much because dad was downstairs asleep.
In fact, NONE of the family members were awoken during the initial break-in.
My best friend kept a gun in her nightstand drawer but it didn't help when she awoke to a rapist at the foot of her bed.
She reached for the nightstand but he was there in two long strides & overpowered her.
Police said later he thought she was reaching for the phone, that if he'd known she had a gun in the drawer he might've used it on her.

Nope. The man was assaulted while sleeping.
It probably wasn't the best idea to be asleep, essentially outside, but I wonder if he thought 'It will never happen here, never to me' Unfortunately that false sense of security and lack of preparedness cost him his family. What if the wife had a gun and heard the commotion? What if his daughters knew how to properly operate and manipulate a gun?

It probably wasn't the best idea to be asleep, essentially outside, but I wonder if he thought 'It will never happen here, never to me' Unfortunately that false sense of security and lack of preparedness cost him his family. What if the wife had a gun and heard the commotion? What if his daughters knew how to properly operate and manipulate a gun?

What if they had a pet bear that could just maul the intruders? I'm in no way saying guns don't save lives at times, but to make the assumption that they always do is as silly as my what if.

What if they had a pet bear that could just maul the intruders? I'm in no way saying guns don't save lives at times, but to make the assumption that they always do is as silly as my what if.
Guns aren't always the answer, in fact, using a firearm to defend your life or the life of another is ALWAYS the ABSOLUTE LAST resort. It starts with being prepared. It starts with knowing there is evil in this world, and there is no way to predict when, where, and how it will strike. It starts with having locked doors, having an emergency plan with your family, knowing where your exits are when in public, carrying at least a pocketknife and a flashlight everywhere you reasonably can. I carry a pistol everywhere I go except for work. I train and practice with it, and at night it sits holstered on my nightstand next to my flashlight.

It's not paranoia, I have never been the victim of a violent crime - and hope to never be. I don't want to take a life. But I know damn well the police aren't going to save me from a carjacker, a rapist, a mugger, or a junkie, and I know damn well I'm not going to cower under the blanket if the glass breaks in the middle of the night.

The what ifs can go on for days, but there's no arguing that it's far better to have and not need, than need and not have.

The 'what if' works only if they hear something that wakes them up.
In this instance, everyone was sleeping soundly & were awoken ONLY when accosted directly.
A gun isn't going to be the answer every time, it MIGHT tip the odds in another instance or it could result in an accidental shooting:
Woman Shoots Grandson, 7, After Mistaking Him for Intruder
14-Year-Old Boy Shoots Armed Intruder in Home - Guns & Ammo

We can post news stories back and forth for an eternity. I just sincerely hope you rethink your 'plan' of having no idea what to do if it happens to you.

Guess having a disabled kid & an elder who couldn't navigate her way out of a paper bag makes us sitting ducks then but keeping a loaded gun at the ready for what 'might' happen will raise the odds of an accidental shooting exponentially than what 'might' happen.
For every 'hero' story where someone's gun saved the day, there are just as many reports of gun stupidity & neglect that led to senseless deaths.
I sincerely hope you can someday live without fear so much that you need to carry a gun with you at all times.

Guess having a disabled kid & an elder who couldn't navigate her way out of a paper bag makes us sitting ducks then but keeping a loaded gun at the ready for what 'might' happen will raise the odds of an accidental shooting exponentially than what 'might' happen.
For every 'hero' story where someone's gun saved the day, there are just as many reports of gun stupidity & neglect that led to senseless deaths.
I sincerely hope you can someday live without fear so much that you need to carry a gun with you at all times.

Not sure if the first half of that is sarcasm, but I would say you're absolutely right. The disabled and the elderly are absolutely at a higher risk of being targeted.

Being a responsible gun owner is not a hard thing to do, you can find a solution. You're not the only person with children or an elder in your home. And I don't live in fear, but I don't live in fantasy either.

Being a responsible gun owner is not hard if you're the only one handling the gun.
Adding more people is possible; sister & brother-in-law have a lot of guns & their kids were raised to respect guns.
My parents didn't have guns while I was growing up but acquired them when they moved out to a remote rural area.
I trained with guns with I was single but - as the kids came along, taking in great-aunts & the mix became more unpredictable - it became unrealistic to keep a gun safely.
I live in an area with low crime, I keep my doors locked, I'm aware of my surroundings (particularly because of my kids & Auntie), I avoid areas that could court trouble but I won't carry a gun.
The fear of what 'may' happen is overshadowed by what I KNOW would happen.

Politics aside - I'd like to hear from anyone here who does not own, or doesn't ever want to own a gun.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if you were awakened by the sound of your door getting kicked in at 2 am, and heard one or more people rushing up your stairs or down your hall towards your bedroom, or your children's bedroom? I'm genuinely curious as to what your plan would be.
Baseball bat & attack cats.

I live in an area that is not 'high crime' but could could be at best be described as inconsistent.
I trust most of my neighbors but they rotate a lot.
I don't own a gun because I understand the concept of backstops.
If I missed or killed the person (because that is the only thing you want to be doing when you point a gun) and the bullet went through their body, it could easily kill the person next door, possibly even in the next apartment over as thin as my walls are.
I have a combat tomahawk on my nightstand, next to that is a cricket bat and a machete. Hidden behind another door is a baseball bat, I have a small machete in my backpack, along with wasp spray, zip ties and duct tape.
Alaskans believe in being prepared for anything.

Alaskans believe in being prepared for anything.
After seeing your clip about the moose fighting in nearby neighborhoods & smashing cars, I'd believe it when you say you're prepared.
While it would be stupid to think I'd never be the victim of an attack, I worry more about an accidental shooting than the 'possibility' of attack/invasion.
Because, despite having a gun & being trained in its use in various scenarios, invaders have the advantage of surprise & being armed may or may not make a difference so I prepare other contingencies.

Last edited:
1. Positively identify your target and the threat it poses before firing at it.
2. What's behind your target? Always make sure that a stray shot, or a bullet which penetrates its intended target through and through, will be safely stopped.

These are the first two rules you get taught when you are training to carry a firearm, be it concealed or open carry. Most people that carry a pistol or revolver legally, be it open or concealed carry, have already gone through training as to the proper handling of their handgun. One of the first things I learned was don't draw unless you are scared for your life. Notice: I said LEGALLY carry. If you knew this person before your realized that they carry a gain, would you think differently of them? If so, why? The only difference in them is that they have taken a step further to protect themselves in a world that is very chaotic and not exactly lawful good.

Politics aside - I'd like to hear from anyone here who does not own, or doesn't ever want to own a gun.

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if you were awakened by the sound of your door getting kicked in at 2 am, and heard one or more people rushing up your stairs or down your hall towards your bedroom, or your children's bedroom? I'm genuinely curious as to what your plan would be.
If they tried kicking my door in, they'd probably injure themselves. It's a very heavy door made of thick, solid wood (as is the door frame).

But anyways if someone broke in, I'd call 911 and climb out the window, then head towards the police station a few hundred feet from my place. I live in a somewhat rural and very safe area, so I'm not worried about a break-in at all.

I was looking at places in a different city last year, and if I had moved it would have been into a place that either had an alarm system or an apartment building with secured entrances and on-site security.

In regards to my home, the main thing I've done is make it a less-appealing target than my neighbors: well-lit, always a car in the driveway, exterior lighting at night, barking dogs make it hard to creep up.

Guns aren't always the answer, in fact, using a firearm to defend your life or the life of another is ALWAYS the ABSOLUTE LAST resort. It starts with being prepared. It starts with knowing there is evil in this world, and there is no way to predict when, where, and how it will strike. It starts with having locked doors, having an emergency plan with your family, knowing where your exits are when in public, carrying at least a pocketknife and a flashlight everywhere you reasonably can. I carry a pistol everywhere I go except for work. I train and practice with it, and at night it sits holstered on my nightstand next to my flashlight.

It's not paranoia, I have never been the victim of a violent crime - and hope to never be. I don't want to take a life. But I know damn well the police aren't going to save me from a carjacker, a rapist, a mugger, or a junkie, and I know damn well I'm not going to cower under the blanket if the glass breaks in the middle of the night.

The what ifs can go on for days, but there's no arguing that it's far better to have and not need, than need and not have.

agreed. People I know will often say, "why does someone need a firearm?" I tell them that in a lot of cases people are not the victims of violent crime, but when they are, especially in the case of rape or assault, then having a firearm for self protection is that person's right. I've never been victimized in any way but I do know there are dangerous people out there, so I don't blame anyone for wanting to protect themselves. I also don't believe the police would save me from a potential threat if it were there. Guns are also not a political issue because there are many people of different stripes that own firearms.

My house is known as the pit bull house. Stereotypes about those dogs exist and nobody is going to rob my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back