Archived Guests with Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know if Target has taken a stance on the open carry of firearms in stores?

I know there is a vast divide on gun opinions in this country, and each state has its own law regarding the legal carrying of weapons (concealed, open)

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a guest with a firearm in their store, and what was your reaction?

Last I knew a couple months ago Target's statement was "if your state allows you to carry, we're not going to stop you from doing so while shopping. But, we'd rather you didn't." And the TM policy still being not to say or do anything unless the guest is acting in a worrisome manner.

Never seen anyone aside from cops and probably the cash truck guys packing heat in the store myself.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...03/target-announces-but-wont-enforce-gun-ban/ is your answer.

EDIT: To add, if someone (of non-official authority) came into my story with a gun, spot better expect me to walk right out the door until that person is dismissed. I am not endangering my sense of security because of someone pushing for their right to carry.

9 times out of 10 you can weed out those "open carry" whack jobs out from those who are "normal". They're usually the ones walking in with an AR-15 on their back with a buddy recording the whole deal.

I don't understand those places that "request" people don't bring guns in their stores. It usually backfires and just creates a haven for gun owners to go and exercise their rights just because they can.

Maybe it's Actually a good strategy? Tell gun owners we don't want them here, so they'll come in higher numbers and spend their money.

I've had guests with handguns holstered on their belts. And no, I don't mean law enforcement. Doesn't overly bother me, but I keep an eye on their hands when opening the register.

This thread is so foreign to me. I have never lived anywhere that people can carry guns. Do you really mean that people walk around with guns in holsters? Exposed so the world can see? Where are these places? If I saw that I would be shocked because its something that is so out of place to me.

I don't think legally carrying guns around here would be a good idea. People around here go off the handle at the littlest thing, I would hate to see what would happen if they all had guns..we would have a store full of dead and or injured people.

@PinkZinnia I've certainly never seen people with rifles in our store, but yes, I have seen many guests with handguns on their hips. Tis perfectly legal here.

Concealed carry is legal in every single state now. There used to be a few hold outs, but no more. So you've probably had guests with guns come through, but since they are concealed, you wouldn't know it (and I try not to think about it).

Open carry is legal in most states. If I see a guest with a gun, I will be on the other side of the store until they leave. Sorry, but not sorry.

Suppose I'm the opposite in the sense I feel safest around people with handguns when within arms reach. Reach for it and I can tackle you to the ground, reach for it and I'm 50 feet away? Uhh, not much defense at that distance.

Probably a good thing. I'm enough of a hazard with a box cutter.

Um, not to anyone else - just me.

ETA: But there would be fewer blonde etls and lots of room for the good etls to move to their own stores.

Last edited:
Arizona allows open and concealed carry without a license, so I used to see it on probably a daily basis. Never saw any whackjobs with a rifle at low ready or anything though, just holstered handguns.

The other night at huddle, we were told that Target's policy is to comply with state gun laws. Here in NY, we don't have open carry, but concealed carry is legal.

Quiz Time: What are you supposed to do if you find a gun in the store?

The only people I've seen at the Target I work that carried guns were the money guards, off duty cops, and on duty cops.

their will be several guest with guns on Black Friday... duck and cover, I hide behind the bananas.

Every so often, we have someone bring a gun into the store (concealed carry). If another guest sees it, they'll usually report it to guest service, but we can't do anything about it because it's not illegal. If they have the gun OUT or if they are acting suspiciously, then we can do something about it.

The other night at huddle, we were told that Target's policy is to comply with state gun laws. Here in NY, we don't have open carry, but concealed carry is legal.

Quiz Time: What are you supposed to do if you find a gun in the store?

I have no idea what the right answer is. What I would do, since I have NO training in firearms and have no desire to ever touch a gun, is that I would assume it's loaded, call ap (or more likely the LOD since ap hours are nearly non-existent) and have them come over and deal with it. I would not leave it unguarded and would wait until someone else could take it so a kiddo couldn't get ahold of it.

Concealed carry is legal in every single state now. There used to be a few hold outs, but no more. So you've probably had guests with guns come through, but since they are concealed, you wouldn't know it (and I try not to think about it).

Open carry is legal in most states. If I see a guest with a gun, I will be on the other side of the store until they leave. Sorry, but not sorry.
Not where I come from.. They are rarely given to ordinary citizens and other places it's only in rural counties and is only valid in rural county and pistol permits are issued on a May-issue basis (whatever that means)
From what I have read, the northeast seems to be different than most other states..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back