Archived has anyone else seen the new vibe stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asked to assist a guest with a carry out yesterday because she was obviously having issues doing much of anything. I have no idea how she got the (lightly loaded) bags from her car to the house when she got home, much less the case of water she bought (she said she has no one to help her). More than anything, as I was loading up her van (careful with those glass candles), I realized she just needed someone to talk to for a couple of minutes. And I did it because I cared about her. I even found the CD she wanted out of one of her many bags so she could listen to it on her way home. It felt like the right thing to do. Oh, did I mention the fact that it was pouring rain the entire time I was out there doing this?

Not even a thank you from my GSA. I vibed. It felt good (well, besides the drowned rat of a cashier I was for a bit after that). But obviously no one else in the store cared. I don't do it because others will care...but if you are going to send me out in a cold rain, at least say "thank you" when I walk back in, if you are so interested in me vibing.

I can't say I think its all BS. What was BS was a guest being asked half a dozen times, the same robotic CIHYFS. What we are being asked to do with the Vibe is to be genuine when we acknowledge every guest. If just making eye contact and smiling is comfortable with you, thats fine, so is a simple Good morning. Actually listening to what they want. How many times have you encountered a guest looking confused in paper towels, and when you asked CIHYFS, they responded by "I asked another employee where I could find paper, and they sent me here." Its all about when they ask for paper, you ask what type of paper and then sending or taking them over to electronics for computer paper. Its the genuine interaction with guests that they are looking for.

I guess the term "Vibe" is so outdated, its making us feel stupid using it...

If you had the power to change the name of this new campaign, what would you call it? Seriously. ;)

I'd call it PPOWPPTPPOTF (the fun part will be watching the ETL's have to say it a dozen times at every huddle).
It stands for Put Plenty Of Well Paid Properly Trained Passionate People On The Floor.
The rest will take care of itself.

I was asked to assist a guest with a carry out yesterday because she was obviously having issues doing much of anything. I have no idea how she got the (lightly loaded) bags from her car to the house when she got home, much less the case of water she bought (she said she has no one to help her). More than anything, as I was loading up her van (careful with those glass candles), I realized she just needed someone to talk to for a couple of minutes. And I did it because I cared about her. I even found the CD she wanted out of one of her many bags so she could listen to it on her way home. It felt like the right thing to do. Oh, did I mention the fact that it was pouring rain the entire time I was out there doing this?

Not even a thank you from my GSA. I vibed. It felt good (well, besides the drowned rat of a cashier I was for a bit after that). But obviously no one else in the store cared. I don't do it because others will care...but if you are going to send me out in a cold rain, at least say "thank you" when I walk back in, if you are so interested in me vibing.

Yep, that sounds like Target. And I totally figured this out: The "Vibe" is like the flair that Jennifer Aniston's character has to wear in "Office Space." I can picture this:

LOD
I need to talk about your VIBE cards

ME
Really? I have 15 cards on. I, uh, (shows him)

LOD
Well, ok, 15 is minimum, ok?

ME
Ok.

LOD
Now, it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare
minimum. Well, like [Kiss ass TM], for example, has 37 VIBE cards. And a
terrific smile.

ME
Ok. Ok, you want me to get more?

LOD
Look. Rob.

ME
Yeah.

LOD
People can go shopping anywhere, ok? They come to Target
for the atmosphere and the attitude. That's what the VIBE'S about.
It's about fun.

ME
Ok. So, more then?

LOD
Look, we want you to express yourself, ok? If you think the bare
minimum is enough, then ok. But some people choose to get more and we
encourage that, ok? You do want to express yourself, don't you?

ME
Yeah. Yeah.

LOD
Great. Great. That's all I ask.

ME
Ok.

See? It's almost perfect and of course, is followed by the infamous "HERE'S YOUR VIBE" scene where I flip off the guests. JK! But there's a scene that will help me get through tonight's shift... I love coming to this website before I have to work; it helps me be happy, because I just laugh at all this in my head, which makes me be friendlier to the guests. Gotta VIBE it up, for 'em.

how many of these stupid ass meetings are there going to be? Ive been to 3 (forced to go to the 2nd one twice cuz no one believed i went) the second one was literally the EXACT same crap without a stupid video

It's nearly better than I got. All I got was, "watch this video" go be amazing. That's it. No explanation on how to be amazing when you're at a register all damn day, or how it's different from doing your job...or why all of a sudden people are writing up vibe cards for themselves.

It's nearly better than I got. All I got was, "watch this video" go be amazing. That's it. No explanation on how to be amazing when you're at a register all damn day, or how it's different from doing your job...or why all of a sudden people are writing up vibe cards for themselves.

there is no explanation for it, i asked them, "well isnt that what we already do?" all i got was "yes but now we do it amazing"....im pretty sure no one actually knows wtf it is, and i refuse to write amazing cards to myself about me doing my job. Kind of stupid to write myself a card put it on the board, then in a month i get the card to me from me with my paycheck

Ugh. I did it tonight. I wrote out two cards for other people for doing their jobs, and then wrote myself one. At least at the end of mine I drew a heart and signed it "me."

Ugh. I did it tonight. I wrote out two cards for other people for doing their jobs, and then wrote myself one. At least at the end of mine I drew a heart and signed it "me."

VIBE CARDS for doing my job, though I loved the messages. Sorry about the size, I don't know how to make it smaller:

View attachment vibe card.jpg

But yeah, there's basically NO difference than what we did before: be there for guests; ask "CIHYFS?"; assist team members; and back up cashier. What's so "AMAZING" about that?! o_0

But yeah, there's basically NO difference than what we did before: be there for guests; ask "CIHYFS?"; assist team members; and back up cashier. What's so "AMAZING" about that?! o_0

Tonight at the evening huddle, the LOD asked us what we thought about Vibe. One of our most guest-friendly TMs said that it's basically what we've been doing all along. It's true, what's expected of us now is pretty much what our job was before: to help guests and let them leave satisfied. As a few others have said on here, we don't need the Vibe - it's implied if not stated in our core roles.

Tonight at the evening huddle, the LOD asked us what we thought about Vibe. One of our most guest-friendly TMs said that it's basically what we've been doing all along. It's true, what's expected of us now is pretty much what our job was before: to help guests and let them leave satisfied. As a few others have said on here, we don't need the Vibe - it's implied if not stated in our core roles.

+1 I tried saying that to [***** FACE] before during an evening huddle and she freaked out on me. "It's totally different" she exclaimed. How? You show me quantifiable evidence that it's different and I'll believe you. The only difference I've noticed is they say "Vibe" more, "amazing" more, and we're FORCED to fill out cards... that's pretty much it.

Thanks for the tip... now it's totally anonymous! LOL

Last edited:
+1 I tried saying that to [name] before during an evening huddle and she freaked out on me. "It's totally different" she exclaimed. How? You show me quantifiable evidence that it's different and I'll believe you. The only difference I've noticed is they say "Vibe" more, "amazing" more, and we're FORCED to fill out cards... that's pretty much it.

You may want to remove the name from your post, in case [name] is reading this.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Vibe posters? I wanna show them to my friend so he can see how ridiculous they are. ;)

I actually have an old name badge that says "guest service" under my name, its from 10 years ago. What's amazing is it took our corporate bean counters this long to realize that service was what our company identity used to be. We are not the Ford motor company assembly line, you can't measure being nice to people with a DTK metric. Now that we are a food store with a showroom to see products so you can look at them before you buy it online while you are in our store, now someone got a vibe that service might be important. If you believe this would help your store if you got payroll to make it work I think "Let Me Know" letters would be appropriate before "Vibe" becomes the new "I Can Do That".

how many of these stupid ass meetings are there going to be? Ive been to 3 (forced to go to the 2nd one twice cuz no one believed i went) the second one was literally the EXACT same crap without a stupid video

5 weeks of training, then I think we're keeping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back