Archived How bad is working off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a punch correction before in similar instances, but a few weeks ago I clocked out on time (to not get in trouble for clocking out late) and went back to finished my work in not more than a few minutes (backstocking the last few things, getting ride of trash etc.) I obviously really want to finish the work given to me and leave everything perfect for the people coming in after me but I didn't have enough time. I will never do it again, I'm already worrying about it a lot. How bad is this? Could it warrant immediate firing or more of a conversation to never do it again (or else)? What should I do in the future when a situation like this happens?

Last edited:
Being that it was so long ago, nothing is going to happen. Just always do a punch correction even if it is a few days later. No one will do anything but tell you to submit a punch correction and don't do it again. If you get caught more than once, or lie about it, then you could get coached, or extreme - fired. For leaders these things are out of sigh out of mind.

You need to talk to your TLs in these situations. Tell them you have a few minutes of backstock and trash cleanup left, but your shift is over. Let them decide whether you finish it on the clock or clock out and leave it for someone else. If you aren't comfortable asking a TL that for whatever reason, ask a TM if they'll finish up for you and clock out. Most TMs aren't going to complain about a helping somone with a few minutes work.

Don't work off the clock.

Maybe, but who hasn't been nearing the end of their shift, looked at a vehicle, thought yeah I have enough time to finish that, only to have something come up where they need another five minutes or so to finish up? It happens.
This exactly. I need to backstock all my stuff too with the modernization thing. I don't like going to my TL and saying I'm not going to finish on time. Sometimes I am able to stay late, but if I can't do it in time, what else can I do but abandon it for someone else later? I don't like doing that, but I guess I might have to. And 5 to 15 extra minutes is the amount of time I need to finish these little jobs most of the time. It's all about time. Time is the enemy.

Last edited:
Maybe, but who hasn't been nearing the end of their shift, looked at a vehicle, thought yeah I have enough time to finish that, only to have something come up where they need another five minutes or so to finish up? It happens.

I know. And that's why I learned after about a week of working my uboats to always allot an extra five minutes. It's not a perfect solution, but most days, it keeps me from working past shift. If it's freight to be worked and I can't finish, I put it back on the line; if it's clean up or backstop, I take care of it before punching out even if that means five minutes late. I work very clean, taking care of trash & backstock as I go, so there is never any trash or backstock that would take more than five minutes at the end of the day.

*disclaimer* I don't work at a store that places so much pressure on finishing assigned tasks. We are expected to get done what we can, as cleanly as we can.

I know. And that's why I learned after about a week of working my uboats to always allot an extra five minutes. It's not a perfect solution, but most days, it keeps me from working past shift. If it's freight to be worked and I can't finish, I put it back on the line; if it's clean up or backstop, I take care of it before punching out even if that means five minutes late. I work very clean, taking care of trash & backstock as I go, so there is never any trash or backstock that would take more than five minutes at the end of the day.

*disclaimer* I don't work at a store that places so much pressure on finishing assigned tasks. We are expected to get done what we can, as cleanly as we can.
Wow, that is a great store philosophy but it's not the same at my store. There is anger at employees for not finishing what TLs determine they should. My current TL is way better than others. I like her, so I feel so bad not completing what she thinks I should have. It's not like I am strung up by my feet, like other TLs would do, but my respect of my current TL makes me feel almost worse when I don't finish.

Stop doing it.
You are a consistent and knowledgeable poster on this forum. I definitely, DEFINITELY won't ever do it again, but if this is the one and only time, do you think that could be a cause for immediate firing, depending on the situation?

You are a consistent and knowledgeable poster on this forum. I definitely, DEFINITELY won't ever do it again, but if this is the one and only time, do you think that could be a cause for immediate firing, depending on the situation?
It might be. Depends on your store. What if you get hurt off the clock? Spot won’t pay for that. Remember that fact.

It might be. Depends on your store. What if you get hurt off the clock? Spot won’t pay for that. Remember that fact.
Oh I probably would not want spot to pay if I was on the clock honestly. They have good enough safety protocols; if you disregard them and get hurt that's kind of your fault... to an extent (depending on the situation and severity of course). Much like when I worked off the clock that time, it was completely my choice and wasn't forced on me. I wasn't thinking about how disallowed it was, I just wanted to finish my job...
I would actually be more than happy to work longer to make my TLs happier, but we obviously have to stick to this strict schedule most of the time.

Oh I probably would not want spot to pay if I was on the clock honestly. They have good enough safety protocols; if you disregard them and get hurt that's kind of your fault... to an extent (depending on the situation and severity of course). Much like when I worked off the clock that time, it was completely my choice and wasn't forced on me. I wasn't thinking about how disallowed it was, I just wanted to finish my job...
I would actually be more than happy to work longer to make my TLs happier, but we obviously have to stick to this strict schedule most of the time.
Your time is valuable and just like Target isn't going to give you money for free, your shouldn't work for free. I understand what your are trying to say but you are worth more than working for free, possibly getting written up, or fired for something you could have easily prevented.

You can't please everyone all the time.

Your time is valuable and just like Target isn't going to give you money for free, your shouldn't work for free. I understand what your are trying to say but you are worth more than working for free, possibly getting written up, or fired for something you could have easily prevented.

You can't please everyone all the time.
Yeah, you right. I am kinda trying to please people so much it is actually detrimental to me in several ways.

Not good. I can definitely respect why you did that, but it will only cost you more than it’s worth if you get caught. I tell my TMs I’d rather them backstock what they can and leave a uboat of just the push. That way if you don’t finish the entire thing, at least you can clean up after yourself and easily communicate what is left on the uboat. I am sorry you’re feeling so much pressure, as I’m sure most are, but don’t set yourself up to lose your job. I also tell my TMs to let me know what they have left on the uboat, 30 minutes before their shift ends, so I can say “just clean up your backstock and leave the push back on the line” or “hey I’m going to take over when you leave.”

Also, don’t work for free. You’re worth more than that.

Not good. I can definitely respect why you did that, but it will only cost you more than it’s worth if you get caught. I tell my TMs I’d rather them backstock what they can and leave a uboat of just the push. That way if you don’t finish the entire thing, at least you can clean up after yourself and easily communicate what is left on the uboat. I am sorry you’re feeling so much pressure, as I’m sure most are, but don’t set yourself up to lose your job. I also tell my TMs to let me know what they have left on the uboat, 30 minutes before their shift ends, so I can say “just clean up your backstock and leave the push back on the line” or “hey I’m going to take over when you leave.”

Also, don’t work for free. You’re worth more than that.

This and to hammer the point home, never work for free. Your time is what you are selling and don't give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back