Archived How low can you go? Store's morale thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try so hard to enjoy working at Target and keep my own morale up but it seems every time I start feeling good again Target finds a way to crush it. This is by far my least happy year at Target.
Same here. Which is why, even though Target used to be a pretty fun place to work and I actually enjoyed it, I keep my expectations exceptionally low these days.
Morale is circling the drain for many of us who've been there a while. The only ones who seem to have good morale are the TMs who are still new enough to be "bright and shiny." Some of us vets are looking for other work; some are retiring earlier than planned; some are just trying to gut it out until kids are older (and require less ferrying around by a parent with a school-day schedule).

I find Target is very female bias as a whole. 90% of my managers have been females and it seems all they promote is females. Nothing wrong with women as managers but at this point it seems like it's so much harder to promote if you're a guy which isn't fair or equal if that's what their goal is.

Now that I think of it....Every recent promotion or new hire to a TL+ position has been female at my store lol.

My store is very balanced male and female. I would say there's a stronger youth bias. To me, target promotes personality and talent. Not hard workers. I like that though. Just because you work hard, doesn't mean you're a good leader.
No but at least you will do work and not talk half your shift or get barely anything done

If I was looking for traits for TL for market I would look for someone who can work their butt off, handle tons of stress, and be able to multitask well.

Same.

My store likes to make people team leads that don’t like confrontations, writing people up, or holding people responsible but hey at least they can set a sales planner and push reshop really well! I haven’t had a team lead I’ve respected and didn’t feel like I was their team lead in about 4 or 5 years.

Thats because they hire outside or promote people who come in and "lead" people who have been doing that workcenter for years. Most likely they will take a long time to reach that same knowledge base. It is what it is though

Thats because they hire outside or promote people who come in and "lead" people who have been doing that workcenter for years. Most likely they will take a long time to reach that same knowledge base. It is what it is though
My current team lead never worked in my work center prior to now. Didn’t even work in a sales floor position. The 3 before that were outside hires. Only 1 didn’t suck ass and is now a Sr TL at another store. The other two were fired.

No but at least you will do work and not talk half your shift or get barely anything done

If I was looking for traits for TL for market I would look for someone who can work their butt off, handle tons of stress, and be able to multitask well.

You need both. If you work your butt off, but can't keep track of your team, that's not a good leader.

On a side note: is there any reason why a TL ( or higher ) would not check up on TMs?

For example, if they see a TM in emotional distress or not acting like themselves, are they supposed to ignore it or just not acknowledge it?

I would MOST definitely check in w/ that TM. Not pry; not be pushy. Just let them know that "they don't seem like themselves..... do you want to talk about anything.......? ". I offer to listen and/or be the avenue to get them the solution they need.
And, it's not always my own department(s) that I observe. There's an older woman in Hardlines that I check on periodically.... I try to make her feel valued and included.

I would MOST definitely check in w/ that TM. Not pry; not be pushy. Just let them know that "they don't seem like themselves..... do you want to talk about anything.......? ". I offer to listen and/or be the avenue to get them the solution they need.
And, it's not always my own department(s) that I observe. There's an older woman in Hardlines that I check on periodically.... I try to make her feel valued and included.
Shit I've had AP stop me and ask if I'm ok. Actually meant a lot. I figured he was always caught up in his own drama.

Yeah, I think that’s a great way to go about it.
When I’m not myself, people get all paranoid and start making up reasons why I’m looking really pisses off.

At my store it’s more so the TMs that check in on one another. But..in my opinion, it’s not difficult to do.
It’s just that not everyone will go out of their way to do that.

I do go around the store and check up on people and it does bring a smile to their face.

The PR stunt of higher starting wage, and it is a stunt is a huge fail. If I hear one more ETL tell me to write up team members for not getting tasks done because they now make more money I am going to scream. I don't care if the starting wage is $50 bucks an hour, 5 people cannot complete a truck by themselves.
Morale is in the toilet. Here is a simple fix. Treat the employees ( yes employees) with respect. That means coaching for valid reasons. Coaching for attendance consistently. Reward the job done not how much someone kisses your ass. Stop weeding out older team members. Yes the press is talking about Starbucks getting rid of older people, Target could give lessons on it. Hire leaders that know how to lead, not leaders that look and act like the latest version of Barbie and Ken. People don't go into Target for 1 on 1 service. They go to get a good deal, a fully stocked store, a clean store, no pallets in the aisles and fast checkout. What they are getting right now? Badgering employees (what are you looking for? This matches that sweater etc) and obstacle course around pallets and flats, 2 check lanes open with a GSTL screaming for backups, tubs of merchandise to be stocked but the person suppose to be working them is one of the people on the check lane. Get your head out of your ass Target. Hire good people, pay them a fair wage, give them the hours you promised, staff the stores, treat the team with respect and give us someone to lead us who values the people that work for them.
I would love someone to do a hidden camera expose on this smoke and mirrors company

I couldn’t have said this any better myself. You hit the nail on the head. I wish I could show that hack Cornell this post and see his reaction.

Store provided meals for a number of months was PB+J, tater tots, and applesauce.

Tater tots.. from the bakery or pizza hut oven. We used to do pbj at xmas season. Became too much of a mess to deal with. Slovenly people can't clean up after themselves.

Ok, so, some more crap for your faces.

My STL is "quitting". I don't believe it's of their own volition. I think the results of the Best Team Survey... survey and terrible store visits and store performance has helped to expedite their leaving.

EHR called me to their office to have a "check in". First time this has ever happened in the year since I've been there. They asked how it's been going with the new HL ETL. I told them that communication is nonexistent and that I couldn't remember the last time I conferenced with my ETL. EHR said that my ETL has a lot on their plate and blah blah blah. Yeah, I don't care. I really don't. It doesn't matter to me.

EHR then went on to ask me how I was doing. A little late for that question! I said I was fine. I am. They said that they could see on my face that I didn't seem ok. I said that's just my resting bitch face. Which it is. EHR asked if I had any issues with my area that needed addressed. I told them it was the same shit from last year. Lack of planning, shit logistics, flow team not doing their jobs properly, lack of coverage in my area when I'm not here, the fact that they keep taking my TMs and putting them in other areas that ain't HL. They said that coverage has been better and I countered with "It doesn't look like it." If I leave at 5 Monday and come in at 8 Tuesday, it looks worse than when I left. WHERE WAS MY COVERAGE? WHY ARE THERE 3 CARTS OF RESHOPS? WHY DOES MY ZONE LOOK LIKE SHIT?

STOP. LYING. TO. ME. I see through the lies of upper management.

They said that I needed to stay positive and not get frustrated. I said I don't get frustrated anymore because I know things will be worse then when I left them and that I've accepted the fact that I'm pretty much on my own. I told them that I don't want it to be that way but every time I make suggestions or complain, nothing changes.

They started talking about retail evolving and corporate bs, and I just stopped paying attention. Retail evolving doesn't have anything to do with the toxic environment we work in. I started paying attention again when they brought up me "eventually" being promoted. This is the third time this has brought to me. People talk about glass ceilings but my ceiling at target is made of concrete and steel and is covered in barb wire and salt and has speakers blasting Nickelback. They said I needed to introduce myself to to the District Leaders when they're here and make a good first impression. They keep dangling this carrot in front of me with the promise of an eventual promotion without realizing that I don't want that carrot. In my mind, that carrot will turn to ash in my mouth.

They then said that I was respected by the team. What, did you walk around with a clipboard and ask everyone? I know I'm respected by TMs. I help them when they need it and treat them like humans. ItS nOt HaRd tO dO!

Then the fuck icing on the shit cake. They said that *specialized area* TL has such a great team and they don't wanna don't wanna let their TL down and how I need to set up expectations for my TM. Jesus freekin Christ. I had to cut EHR short and reiterate that you keep taking my TMs and putting them in other areas. How when I'm not here my area is neglected. How it's the LODs responsiblity to check up with my TMs when I'm not here. They tried to tell me about they would go and do this and that in my area and how other ETLs were pushing some of the pallets. They made it sound like they were doing me a favor. OH, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING TO NOT MAKE THE STORE LOOK LIKE A STORAGE WAREHOUSE!

Team implies that we are all in this together.

The last thing they said was that no one blames me for the condition of my area. Which makes me think they do blame me.

It was a pointless conversation. It was a waste of 30 minutes that I could have used to push out some of the 17 pallets that are still sitting on the floor in my area.

I don't get stressed. I don't get frustrated. I don't get mad. I'm just numb. I'm gonna do my job because it's my job.

Our store gave up on pushing selling, we are so so on guest service, and all in on trying to stay alive. Electronics pushing left over hardlines truck, hardlines backstocking for backroom. It's a shit show at this point tbh.

Dude. They took a seasoned and reliable Electronics TM and moved them to BR. Then they took the other seasoned and reliable Electronics TM and moved them to Plano for 3 weeks. They've got the laziest TM in the store, the worst TM in the store, 1 super reliable TM, and a TL who has worked here for a month and half. Electronics used to be the best E2E department in the store. Now it's just depressing.

I'm so glad they lied about moving me there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back