Archived Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in full preparation mode and everyday this week is like a black friday,with water being the # 1 item,Pepsi and Coke have been doing their part in keeping us going somewhat although each delivery is sold out within the hour.Target distribution center is behaving as usual and sending a pallet of water on some trucks,we have a truck everyday and we are incapable of any kind of rapid response to supplying what is needed.Market pantry was featured in the ad this week and we could have sold a truckload without any hurricane but we didn't have any going into the weekend and only a few pallets since.

I have a question. I have seen pictures of people loading up SUV with cases upon cases of water. Can the guest really buy as many as they want? Is there a limit? I would feel horrible if people are hoarding the water. It honestly looked like way wore than they would need. I have been listening on the Zello app and people are being told to fill their bathtubs with water to boil because the store shelves are empty. They were expecting shipments today but not guaranteed.

I have a question. I have seen pictures of people loading up SUV with cases upon cases of water. Can the guest really buy as many as they want? Is there a limit? I would feel horrible if people are hoarding the water. It honestly looked like way wore than they would need. I have been listening on the Zello app and people are being told to fill their bathtubs with water to boil because the store shelves are empty. They were expecting shipments today but not guaranteed.
There's no best practice for limits on water in disaster areas. Each store sets their own limit each day based on quantity and demand.

I'm in a soon-to-be Irma impacted area and we've been limiting water every day since Sunday.

Some good advice

21369447_10211413712031152_3793908655986565782_n.jpg

Empty your dishwasher and put anything you want to keep in it. Dishwasher is waterproof and secured to cabinets most likely to survive a storm.

Don't offer refunds on water. After the earthquake on 1994, some people were returning their case packs of water. :rolleyes:

I still have cans of Budweiser water from that earthquake.. Agreed with the refunds, tell them to water the lawn or donate it.

And Redzee you may have some stuff, but when you hear it's going to be a cat 5, you stack it high cause you know its going to be really bad. One reason any pick up I have owned is always one with dual fuel tanks. You can fill 30-50 gallons at a time. You can drive that or siphon it off to you car. Long beds aren't cool but they come in handy sometimes.

Last edited:
I lived in FL for 36 years and moved 11 years ago to TN so I went thorough a lot of hurricanes but this one is something I've never seen before and I still can't get my family that still lives there to leave and my mom is 90 years old and stubborn as hell.

Along with my family members who are staying there are also five dogs, two cats, two cocktails, a prairie dog one old goat two lizards and a turtle at least the turtle can swim!

I have a coworker who grew up down there and he insists that Floridians see hurricanes like we in Alaska see 30" of snow in one day.
Annoying but nothing you can't deal with, and a great way to get out of work.
In fact he insists that the best way to ride out most storms is drunk off your ass.
I am a trifle suspicious of this but he showed me texts from his friends from down there who live in the primary danger zones.
They are stocking up on booze and making sure the generator has enough gas so they can play Call of Duty all weekend.
I have to admit to being impressed.
-45 weather doesn't phase me.
Screw hurricanes.

I have a coworker who grew up down there and he insists that Floridians see hurricanes like we in Alaska see 30" of snow in one day.
Annoying but nothing you can't deal with, and a great way to get out of work.
In fact he insists that the best way to ride out most storms is drunk off your ass.
I am a trifle suspicious of this but he showed me texts from his friends from down there who live in the primary danger zones.
They are stocking up on booze and making sure the generator has enough gas so they can play Call of Duty all weekend.
I have to admit to being impressed.
-45 weather doesn't phase me.
Screw hurricanes.
Seeing it is a Cat 5 and can tear off a roof there would go any game play. Take a look at Homestead, FL after Andrew. If you live near the coast you could experience a 15+ foot storm surge. We all saw what happened after Katrina.

We are in full preparation mode and everyday this week is like a black friday,with water being the # 1 item,Pepsi and Coke have been doing their part in keeping us going somewhat although each delivery is sold out within the hour.Target distribution center is behaving as usual and sending a pallet of water on some trucks,we have a truck everyday and we are incapable of any kind of rapid response to supplying what is needed.Market pantry was featured in the ad this week and we could have sold a truckload without any hurricane but we didn't have any going into the weekend and only a few pallets since.
Water is being sent out as fast as it gets into the D.C. I can vouch for that

I've been in pricing for the grand majority of the week but the last I heard at our store was that we were finally limiting water. Earlier this week we let people leave with multiple carts full of water. I've only been able to get one 24 pack of water, but I'm planning on filling up water at home :/

I've been in pricing for the grand majority of the week but the last I heard at our store was that we were finally limiting water. Earlier this week we let people leave with multiple carts full of water. I've only been able to get one 24 pack of water, but I'm planning on filling up water at home :/

We drink a lot Gatorade in my house, always empty bottles laying around, wash them out and half fill with water - freeze fill the other half with cold water, keeps it cold way longer in a cooler. What I have always done for car shows, and before a storm up here a few years ago when we lost power for over 24hrs.. Still had a cold freezer.. Gallon milk jugs wash out fill with water freeze - power goes, switch to fridge helps keep that side colder longer without power.

Some people are too stubborn to move when natural disasters hit. Just the other day I saw a guy who was trapped with fires surrounding his home and he was warned to move out.

Some people are too stubborn to move when natural disasters hit. Just the other day I saw a guy who was trapped with fires surrounding his home and he was warned to move out.

Sometimes when you have animals you can't leave. Or you are a stubborn assholes who believes your fire breaks are going to work.. If you were smart enough to have them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back