Inflation pay raise

I've heard that ION reviews won't include a raise next year, so I'm curious to see if DIO and DEO raises will be bumped up to what they were previously, or even higher to match the PG45 percentages. That would help with retention overall, but many areas definitely need a localized increase to be competitive and provide adequate staffing. The area I'm in has fast food places hiring at $16/hr. while my Target can't even reach 10% of its staffing goals and suffers greatly from turnover (especially leadership).

Heard from the senior HR leadership (and the leadership forum lol) that pay would likely be getting base changes in Sept/Oct for TM to ETL.

The exec I briefly spoke with didn't mention anything beyond that they were looking at making sure that merit pay/annual raise was taken into account to not burn the more seasoned TMs this time around.

I've heard that ION reviews won't include a raise next year, so I'm curious to see if DIO and DEO raises will be bumped up to what they were previously, or even higher to match the PG45 percentages. That would help with retention overall, but many areas definitely need a localized increase to be competitive and provide adequate staffing. The area I'm in has fast food places hiring at $16/hr. while my Target can't even reach 10% of its staffing goals and suffers greatly from turnover (especially leadership).
My TL told me that no one is applying.

The Kroger near me is now paying $15.50 and they waited a REALLY LONG TIME to even bump up from $12.

ION shouldn't get a raise, but only if they are ION. Reviews are too much of a popularity contest and unfair when it comes to team members. Especially now without the need to score categories or to write personalized evaluations it is even a bigger joke.

I remember when I first started you weren't allowed to give the lowest score unless you had performance documentation on that team member.

ION shouldn't get a raise, but only if they are ION. Reviews are too much of a popularity contest and unfair when it comes to team members. Especially now without the need to score categories or to write personalized evaluations it is even a bigger joke.

I remember when I first started you weren't allowed to give the lowest score unless you had performance documentation on that team member.
I always thought reviews were a joke because if you read them you basically would have no idea what I do.

Heard from the senior HR leadership (and the leadership forum lol) that pay would likely be getting base changes in Sept/Oct for TM to ETL.

The exec I briefly spoke with didn't mention anything beyond that they were looking at making sure that merit pay/annual raise was taken into account to not burn the more seasoned TMs this time around.
Oh really. I heard we'd be getting raises in June or July. That never happened.

It's true, we're trying to hire but no one wants to work the availability that's needed.
Maybe "flexible scheduling" should work with the availability of those who apply and would be great tm's rather than requiring everyone to have weekend availability. There are some who would may want to only work weekends, too.

Maybe "flexible scheduling" should work with the availability of those who apply and would be great tm's rather than requiring everyone to have weekend availability. There are some who would may want to only work weekends, too.
Nobody at my store is "required" to work weekends, other than leadership. This is entirely a store specific thing

Is this really a weekend thing?

I am thinking more than someone with kids can't necessarily work 7 to Noon for example.

I also believe that potential TMs won't fall for the old BS that if you open your availability you get more hours.

Is this really a weekend thing?

I am thinking more than someone with kids can't necessarily work 7 to Noon for example.

I also believe that potential TMs won't fall for the old BS that if you open your availability you get more hours.
No Bs the more hours your available to work the more hours you will get. Even in January when hours are slashed open availability will get you more hours. I’ve seen team members with limited availability get only 9 to 15 hours in January and open availability peeps get 20 to 30 hours.

Nobody at my store is "required" to work weekends, other than leadership. This is entirely a store specific thing
My weekend availability was only Saturday 8-4. When I started it included Friday evening until close and Sunday 8-1. However I changed my availability and it was approved!

My store would be fine with people who did not have weekend availability. We have many people who are fine with weekends, but if you are being stretched across several areas because of lack of coverage you have to take your 2 days off some where.

And DC merit TMs get what? Screwed over, once again. Target does not reward loyalty, look elsewhere.
No, they are revamping how their ease system works as well. I wasn’t really paying attention as I don’t have any merit tm’s, but it will make it more competitive.

Corporate should raise PG35 rates by at least 5% as a (partial) inflation adjustment. This should NOT affect the minimum pay rate for new hires.

As for minimum pay offered to new hires, FYI in my local Targets it's $17.50/hour.

One example of what's available in the prosperous (but expensive) Seattle metro area, which doesn't require a Bachelor's degree, is at Dick's Drive-In (a very popular local chain). Dicks' offers $20.00/hour starting wage plus a range up to $25.00/hr when you are fully trained, plus free health insurance (no premium for the employee, 50% discount for spouse), and other very good benefits. Granted, this is food service work. However, I also noticed that Dick's Drive-In, unlike Target, promotes its managers from within. In other words, they have bosses who actually can perform the jobs of the people they supervise. The majority of Target's store ETLs, who are parachuted in from college-recruitment programs, frequently don't know how to perform the job functions which they manage and oversee.

Target really has two things to address: the immediate need is a percentage-based inflation adjustment in PG 35 for existing TMs. As your 2022 merit raises were truly inadequate (2, 3 or 4 percent, when inflation already was bad), seriously consider either a 7% pay hike or a 5% pay hike with a lump-sum $500 bonus or something like that.

The issue of whether the minimum entry pay is high enough to attract new hires is a second issue, but if it is raised, Corporate, quit screwing your existing TMs when the minimum pay for off-the-street newbie hires is increased. You have been bleeding talent from the PG 35 ranks in your stores.

Otherwise, Corporate, you might start finding yourself in a situation resembling that facing Starbucks and Amazon, where some employees are pushing aggressively for the forbidden word which rhymes with "fusion". 😲

Last edited:
No, they are revamping how their ease system works as well. I wasn’t really paying attention as I don’t have any merit tm’s, but it will make it more competitive.
More competitive = popularity contest. Trader Joes, who supposedly had some of the more employee friendly pay and benefits around, several just voted to unionize.

More competitive = popularity contest. Trader Joes, who supposedly had some of the more employee friendly pay and benefits around, several just voted to unionize.
I’m sure “more competitive” is meant in relation to the market. As in, they realize that those same merit positions pay better at most companies and realize there is something that needs to be addressed.

Back