Archived Interesting Huddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My previous team lead would lead huddles and then get bored of himself about halfway through. My store stopped really doing huddles in general right about the time that I left.

We haven't had a huddle in weeks, and definitely not ones like that.

I'm on the closing team, though--can't speak for other teams.

I'm fortunate enough to not strictly need this job, because I would quit on the spot if subjected to such a thing. I mean, how fast do you want to lose your top performers? That's a good way to find out.

That is sad on so many levels. Huddles should be about communication. Sales, info for the day, etc. You can level set expectations at a huddle but to tell everyone at huddle they're not cutting the mustard, especially when they don't really know HOWto cut the mustard is horrendous. Any ETL that allowed that should be put on notice. That is the kind of thing you have off stage meetings about -- i.e. Pulling TMs as a group to level-set the expectations, and as they don't meet those expectations you can hold them accountable.

Whats sad is at first you read this post and immediately go "yeah right there is no way", than switch instantly to omfg is this really happening. Then the more you think about it and how your store is running currently and how leaders are or have been acting....you realize this and probably worse is possible, happening or going to happen.

That is sad on so many levels. Huddles should be about communication. Sales, info for the day, etc. You can level set expectations at a huddle but to tell everyone at huddle they're not cutting the mustard, especially when they don't really know HOWto cut the mustard is horrendous. Any ETL that allowed that should be put on notice. That is the kind of thing you have off stage meetings about -- i.e. Pulling TMs as a group to level-set the expectations, and as they don't meet those expectations you can hold them accountable.

Exactly. Huddles at my store would talk about what was going on regarding product launches or trends for the week (eg. if Memorial Day is coming up, grocery will be hit hard, particularly grilling & picnic supplies), AP would talk about the safety issue focus, and we would get reminders that we should know our sales goals, reminders that guest service comes first, ask open-ended questions, etc. but never "You all suck and will get fired next week if you don't step it up" as is implied by the huddle @speedy was a part of.

Recognition was absolutely the norm at my store when we actually had cashier huddles, and I heard it in sales floor huddles if I happened to walk past. Except it wasn't optional. Everyone *had* to compliment someone.

I said one thing questioning a TLs expectations of TMs and they said, in an extremely angry tone, "don't disrespect me!". I was confused and shaken to say the least. Though surely it was the way I said it, of course. /s

My go to reply for that is "You haven't earned my respect and this conversation isn't going to help that."

My go to reply for that is "You haven't earned my respect and this conversation isn't going to help that."
Jeez, talk about the shit storm that would result from that.... They would try to make my life a living hell even more than they do now. Especially because they all talk among themselves, so I could come to work the next day with every manager hating me.

I have immunity from attending huddles. I might hear the odd thing or two while walking by, but I don't have to attend. And, that's the way I like it.
I get that only if I am working SFS and no huddles if you work early. Any other time, I have to go through all the bullshit (1,2,3 Teamwork!/gag me with a spoon).

Makes me glad I'm just a TM. No one ever wants regular TMs at huddles at my store
But... at my store everyone that is doing sales floor or related has to attend huddles. The only people exempt are SFS (used to be backroom too, but that doesn't exist anymore).
Edit: it is really pointless and just pulls you away from the work that they want you to get done...

Last edited:
They just werent able to verbalize corporate vision outwardly properly. It's not easy to do, especially with a team who's overall confidence in their job is rebuked daily by leadership. I'll say it forever, target doesn't develop their leadership enough, it spends too much time forcing down agendas, leadership gets lost. Sad times truly, it will smooth over eventually. Target needs to develop ETLs again and ETLs need to invest time surrendering their selfish ways to developing their TLs. As much as I can try to do this, I literally dont have enough time.

They just werent able to verbalize corporate vision outwardly properly. It's not easy to do, especially with a team who's overall confidence in their job is rebuked daily by leadership. I'll say it forever, target doesn't develop their leadership enough, it spends too much time forcing down agendas, leadership gets lost. Sad times truly, it will smooth over eventually. Target needs to develop ETLs again and ETLs need to invest time surrendering their selfish ways to developing their TLs. As much as I can try to do this, I literally dont have enough time.

I don’t doubt you, and not to sound like a dick, but this will never happen at my store. Individual egos are way too big.

The biggest problem most leaders have is they think they have to come across as believing and supporting the company line 100% with their people. When I was a leader at my last company, I took a different approach. Since I had risen up through the ranks, my people knew that I understood their feelings, and since I still did the physical work side by side with them daily, they knew I was not some "white glove" manager. I told them the truth: this is what corporate wants, yes I know it's stupid, let's just do the best we can, hopefully the company will realize soon that this is dumb, hopefully our crappy District manager will quit soon like the others, just hang in there folks. Of course, I would also back the things that I did think were decent ideas and explain the reasons why this would be a good thing, etc. This approach worked for me and I built a solid and loyal team.

In my experience, showing your team that you are human and understand garners more loyalty and hard work than spouting the company line and telling people to "just get it done", or telling them you hear Walmart is hiring, like a former store manager of mine used to say at every morning meeting.

The biggest problem most leaders have is they think they have to come across as believing and supporting the company line 100% with their people. When I was a leader at my last company, I took a different approach. Since I had risen up through the ranks, my people knew that I understood their feelings, and since I still did the physical work side by side with them daily, they knew I was not some "white glove" manager. I told them the truth: this is what corporate wants, yes I know it's stupid, let's just do the best we can, hopefully the company will realize soon that this is dumb, hopefully our crappy District manager will quit soon like the others, just hang in there folks. Of course, I would also back the things that I did think were decent ideas and explain the reasons why this would be a good thing, etc. This approach worked for me and I built a solid and loyal team.

In my experience, showing your team that you are human and understand garners more loyalty and hard work than spouting the company line and telling people to "just get it done", or telling them you hear Walmart is hiring, like a former store manager of mine used to say at every morning meeting.
A huge thank you for this. My current TL will push right along side us and I respect them so much for doing that. They are understanding and know how the job can be... because they have done it themselves. Then there is another TL in a similar position. I doubt they have pushed a box in their life and expects people to "just get it done" in an unreasonable amount of time. What you are doing is exactly how to build a good team, not by micromanaging and making them feel bad for not getting it done in the allotted time they determined on guess work. You are a person I would want to work hard under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back