Archived Is this considered rude?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I went to grab a sporting goods call button and as I'm walking there I see a team member on break clearly with phone and bag in hand. When I reach the call button I approached my guest I realize she's extremely upset. She starts ranting and raving to me before I can clear the button about the extremely rude team members in our store. Mind you I'm an elect team member, not a lod. So I ask what happened she said she asked the team member to help her pick out a tent and that team member had said "I'm sorry I'm on break" and walked away. She wanted them to atleast find someone to help her, get on the phone to page someone or just straight up come back from break and start helping her. Like I said this team member was clearly on break, no name tag, bag on hand and on their phone. My guest just kept saying she could not stand rude people and could not understand how someone could so rudely say I'm on break and walk away. I managed to calm her down by just apologizing 80 times and helped her find her tent(which was impossible, she only wanted to spend $25) but she just kept saying how rude that team member was. I went to said team member and asked what happened and got the story that she approached the team member and they just politely said "sorry I'm on break" and went about their day. What is wrong with my guest??

7. Narcissistic personality disorder

In narcissistic PD, the person has an extreme feeling of self-importance, a sense of entitlement, and a need to be admired.
She is envious of others and expects them to be the same of her.
She lacks empathy and readily lies and exploits others to achieve her aims.
To others, she may seem self-absorbed, controlling, intolerant, selfish, or insensitive.
If she feels obstructed or ridiculed, she can fly into a fit of destructive anger and revenge.
Such a reaction is sometimes called ‘narcissistic rage’, and can have disastrous consequences for all those involved.

Last edited:
I think it's somewhat rude. If you're in a store as a guest and someone asks you a question about where something is you'd probably help them, right? Like, I don't work at Best Buy, but I've totally had people ask me where something is there and I'll try to help (verbally. I wouldn't walk them over to the product or anything) That's my policy. If a guests asks something that I would respond to even if I wasn't a TM, I'll help them and then just pad my break a little bit.

In my store the vast majority of TMs carry walkies, so if the TM on break had a walkie on them and didn't at least call for someone to assist the guest ("Hey team, I'm on break, can someone help a guest in sporting goods?") then that's definitely rude, imo, because it takes like 2 seconds.

If a TM doesn't want to be bothered when they're on their break they need to be off the floor, or wearing a jacket or something to cover up the red shirt.

---edit---

Then again, I have a guilt complex that's out of this world. That whole "Set yourself on fire to keep others warm" thing is something I deeply relate to...so, you know, maybe ignore my opinion on these matters...it's not exactly the most stable one out there :rolleyes:

I think that the rude one here was the "guest." Said "guest" saw the TM on their own phone. What made the "guest" think that she had the right to completely stop someone and ask a question....without even saying "excuse me..."

No matter what a TM does there will always be someone to stop a TM for something. One winter afternoon I had clocked out....I put on my HEAVY winter coat (and scarf), was carrying my lunch bag, had a mug of water, and my car keys in my hand....and a guest stopped me and wanted to know where some clothing item was. Well, the item was out of season and I told the guest that it was out of season but that didn't stop the guest from ranting about the fact that he couldn't find shorts for his kid.....it was November...what did he expect?

In any case, the way that I was dressed was a clear indicator that I wasn't working, but that didn't stop the guest from stopping me. So to say that a TM ought to wear a coat or some other "disguise" while shopping on their break doesn't mean they won't be stopped.

Technically, it's not rude because we aren't supposed to help guests while on our breaks. It's rude of guests to expect us to ignore that.

However I do feel like an ass telling guests I'm on break or lunch, so I usually answer their questions anyway. If it's a big request, I direct them to someone else, explaining I'm off the clock.

If I can't answer the guests' question in a few words then I'll send them to Guest Services for help...and I explain that I am on a break.
This way everybody should be happy!

The TM wasn't rude, but I've gotten complaints about how a TM refused to help someone saying they were on break. I usually apologize and just say we aren't allowed to help if we're on break. When I have to shop on break I don't bring a walkie or mydevice with me and usually just say something like "sorry, I'm on break and don't have anything to look it up with" and point them towards a TM or a call button, unless it's something basic that I don't need to look for.

I had a guest a few weeks ago follow me around during my lunch while I was wearing a black hoodie, talking to my dad on my cell phone, and carrying a basket of stuff. I glanced at her and she whispered "HI I have a question when you're done" I gave her a weird look but she wouldn't go away so I finally had to say "Dad, hold on, someone keeps trying to ask me something". I had no idea what she was talking about so I walked her to a call button a couple aisles down, pushed the button, and just walked away. I really just wasn't having it that day, but the LOD thought it was funny when I told her about it.

Reminds me of the time a lady followed me into the restroom.

Was on lunch, walking to the restroom while I typing messages on my phone. Hear a lady calling out "excuse me!" and I'm like riiiight at the restroom don't even look up turn the corner and walk into the restroom. Do my business and am washing my hands when a lady says "excuse me you probably didn't hear me because you were on your phone but I need help" and I'm just like ...................................................................,,,,,,,,,,,, "im on,,,,,lu,,,,nch" and she still asked me where tf the diapers are

yOU COULD HAVE FOUND THEM IN THE TIME U WASTED FOLLOWING ME INTO THE RESTROOM

This happens to me frequently when I'm going on lunch but decide to buy a quick meal from market. I try to avoid having an issue and quickly get on my walkie to ask the team for assistance. We've got this one old guy who comes every single day and parks in a handicap spot next to the door and will ask TMs outside on their lunch or break to go inside and bring him a motor cart, he's complained several times that we don't help him. GSTL is usually ready to hear it on the walkie each morning now lol is pretty funny watching our GSTL ride that thing out to this man's car every morning.

I like those customers. One time this old man was asking me to look something up for him on the pda except mine had to reboot so, I couldn't do it and on top of that it was lunch time so, I said sorry, you have to find a red scanner on the wall. He got all pissy and called me a great asset and thanked me for the great customer experience or whatever. I said anytime sir, have a great day! And went to my lunch.

PS, since the tm was on break, remember the golden rule: Never work for free.

If a TM doesn't want to be bothered when they're on their break they need to be off the floor, or wearing a jacket or something to cover up the red shirt.

Two days ago I clocked out and was going home... almost out the front door in my zipped black jacket, purse over my shoulder, phone in hand. A guest still expected me to help them.

They do not care if it's obvious that you're off the clock.

Two days ago I clocked out and was going home... almost out the front door in my zipped black jacket, purse over my shoulder, phone in hand. A guest still expected me to help them.

They do not care if it's obvious that you're off the clock.
Yup. Especially when it's a regular who knows your face. Those people are dicks and I hope they fall on their way to their car.

Plus, once the other guests see you helping someone... they will swarm you. At that point, do you have to help all of them? Or do you tell them you're on break when they just witnessed you working. You can kiss your break goodbye.

I used to be willing to answer a simple question if I could... past jobs and even when I started at Target. Then I realized how disrespectful 90% of our guests are. And expecting someone to work off the clock, just for them, ranks pretty high on being disrespectful.

Last edited:
7. Narcissistic personality disorder

In narcissistic PD, the person has an extreme feeling of self-importance, a sense of entitlement, and a need to be admired.
She is envious of others and expects them to be the same of her.
She lacks empathy and readily lies and exploits others to achieve her aims.
To others, she may seem self-absorbed, controlling, intolerant, selfish, or insensitive.
If she feels obstructed or ridiculed, she can fly into a fit of destructive anger and revenge.
Such a reaction is sometimes called ‘narcissistic rage’, and can have disastrous consequences for all those involved.
Commiecorvus, sorry to point out that you kept misspelling "Trump" as "she." :)

I've had a guest ask me to help her before I had even clocked in one day. I told her that I had to clock in first and she got all huffy with me. :mad:
I never help guests when I'm off the clock though. And I always tell them that I'm on break or that I'm leaving. I think the Starbucks in my hand and my phone being out should be code word for "don't fucking talk to me right now" haha

I've had a guest ask me to help her before I had even clocked in one day. I told her that I had to clock in first and she got all huffy with me. :mad:
I never help guests when I'm off the clock though. And I always tell them that I'm on break or that I'm leaving. I think the Starbucks in my hand and my phone being out should be code word for "don't fucking talk to me right now" haha

You don't have to be anything but factual. You are under absolutely no obligation to help her. Your time is just that - Yours. She can get all pissy and that is on her. She isn't special.

So today I went to grab a sporting goods call button and as I'm walking there I see a team member on break clearly with phone and bag in hand. When I reach the call button I approached my guest I realize she's extremely upset. She starts ranting and raving to me before I can clear the button about the extremely rude team members in our store. Mind you I'm an elect team member, not a lod. So I ask what happened she said she asked the team member to help her pick out a tent and that team member had said "I'm sorry I'm on break" and walked away. She wanted them to atleast find someone to help her, get on the phone to page someone or just straight up come back from break and start helping her. Like I said this team member was clearly on break, no name tag, bag on hand and on their phone. My guest just kept saying she could not stand rude people and could not understand how someone could so rudely say I'm on break and walk away. I managed to calm her down by just apologizing 80 times and helped her find her tent(which was impossible, she only wanted to spend $25) but she just kept saying how rude that team member was. I went to said team member and asked what happened and got the story that she approached the team member and they just politely said "sorry I'm on break" and went about their day. What is wrong with my guest??

People think they're entitled to anything they damn well please.

We work at Target, we're not "managers", therefore, we are are lesser beings put here for the express purpose of pleasing any guest, regardless of how rude, demanding or unreasonable they may be.

"I'm off duty" or "I'm off the clock" should suffice. Reasonable people say, "okay, sorry" and move on. Narcissists feel entitled to have their needs met by whomever might be near, regardless of their ability or desire.

Oh, and I'm not wearing a jacket in the summer. Removing my name tag is sufficient indication that I'm off duty. The words "I'm off duty" or "I'm off" or "I'm clocked out" or "I'm done for the day" are all indicative of the fact that I'm not about to help your self entitled ass.

Jeesus, I think I should call in today. I'm already in a bad mood.

tl;dr - what a fucking bitch.

I bring a hoodie with a design on it to make people get the idea since we're not supposed to wear designs or logos while on the clock. It's actually worked nicely. Still get stopped every once and a while though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back