Archived KrebsOnSecurity Breaks Story on Target Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point the only thing worse they can tell us is if they got our social security numbers. I don't want to think about it.

At this point the only thing worse they can tell us is if they got our social security numbers. I don't want to think about it.
That's what I'm worried about. If it comes to fruition, I'm very worried. This company has a) not safeguarded the information they need to and b) have been shady in covering everything up and trying to lessen the PR damage by slowing leaking bad news..."oh by the way and this"...."oh by the way this..." etc. Pathetic. If you waited this long to tell us that your employee's information has been compromised it's time for a class action lawsuit. Hope they're just being cautious by shutting down EHR from outside. Also, bad job by the mod there by shutting down my initial EHR is shut down post, I think it has merit.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they tell us about that in-store!? I haven't changed my password and I don't think I work between now and the 13th. Oh well. I'm sure I'll just have to lift that phone up or whatever.

My store had a big huddle with everyone including the early morning people in receiving almost an hour after Target announced the email thing, though, so the communication isn't always horrible lol. They didn't tell us how they got the email info, though. I'm assuming a target.com hack actually did occur (they initially said it wasn't hacked), but the https and encryption and all that fancy junk actually worked.

I'm just guessing, but the way this is spaced out, I think maybe it's really just taking this long for them to find this stuff, because the way these announcements have been staggered (initial hacking, encrypted pins, now emails...) are just dragging the negative reactions out longer. So, I don't think this staggered announcement thing was intentional. Thenn again, stores are dead now, anyway and by the time people start really shopping again, they'll be over it. So maybe my first hypothesis is wrong haha.

eta: p.s. I was typing that bit about the staggered announcements before seeing SOMS's post. I was just randomly thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will bet you a ton of money that SS numbers were hacked from eHR. Knowing them, we'll probably see an announcement about in a month or two.

I would question it, with out delay. It sounds like the cashier didn't complete the prior transaction. Ask your ap for the video.

This... Take that receipt, and allow AP to pull the transaction video. If your correct, than the video should prove it, and they are required under Federal Law to fix it.

I went to my STL who asked our AP to review the video. And well I somehow ended up paying for the guy behind me stuff. How the hell does that happen? She (STL) happily "returned" the items I did not buy. But really, how does that happen?

I would question it, with out delay. It sounds like the cashier didn't complete the prior transaction. Ask your ap for the video.

This... Take that receipt, and allow AP to pull the transaction video. If your correct, than the video should prove it, and they are required under Federal Law to fix it.

I went to my STL who asked our AP to review the video. And well I somehow ended up paying for the guy behind me stuff. How the hell does that happen? She (STL) happily "returned" the items I did not buy. But really, how does that happen?

As a former GSA, I can tell you QUITE EASILY. Oftentimes Front End gets some "Dim Bulbs" as far as the Team Members go; I can't count the number of times I've had to correct this exact situation. It usually happens with TMs who aren't very bright, have a slow reaction speed, and have a lack of awareness. They will make mistakes, not notice, and keep going.

Honestly its beyond me how some TMs can be so intensely challenged by Point of Sale.... It is SO freakn simple to use, you really don't even need anyone to show you how to use it -- everything is pretty self explanatory. Yet there are always THOSE TMS who never cease to fail and @#$! up every single transaction.

As a former GSA, I can tell you QUITE EASILY. Oftentimes Front End gets some "Dim Bulbs" as far as the Team Members go; I can't count the number of times I've had to correct this exact situation. It usually happens with TMs who aren't very bright, have a slow reaction speed, and have a lack of awareness. They will make mistakes, not notice, and keep going.

Honestly its beyond me how some TMs can be so intensely challenged by Point of Sale.... It is SO freakn simple to use, you really don't even need anyone to show you how to use it -- everything is pretty self explanatory. Yet there are always THOSE TMS who never cease to fail and @#$! up every single transaction.

Our seasonal cashiers are dumber than a box of rocks. Granted, I should've paid a little more attention, actually took my receipt, etc. (it was my lunch). I'm not surprised honestly. I work retail. Nothing surprises me.

Had a SFTM who came up for back-up. He rang up a guest & she swiped her card but it didn't seem to work so he keyed it in. It called for a supervisor's override but when I got down there the guest had already left.
I asked him where the guest was "Oh, she took her receipt & left." "Couldn't have. The trans isn't complete."
I entered my number for override & the card was declined. The sale was $287.
I looked at him & said "You just let a guest walk out without paying for nearly $300 in merchandise."
As the shock sunk in, he said "Oops?"
I suspended the sale & gave the slip to AP while the Boy Blunder got coached.

So, if a card DID get hacked, what would the unauthorized charge look like on a statement? Would it have a Target location that you never go to? I can't remember every charge I make there: I buy almost everything from Target. Are all the fraudulent charges very large purchases?

^That came up today when I was talking to my STL. She said they're small and random (for a few dollars and a Target on the other side of the country)

So, if a card DID get hacked, what would the unauthorized charge look like on a statement? Would it have a Target location that you never go to? I can't remember every charge I make there: I buy almost everything from Target. Are all the fraudulent charges very large purchases?

Well it would depend. The thing with the Target Debit Card that is so safe is that 1) It can only be used at Target or Target.com 2) It requires a PIN for both and 3) Wrong PIN numbers entered too many times will lock the card.

If your card is actually used after these steps, then the charge would either have to be at a Target store (most likely one you never use) or a Target.com order. I have a hard time seeing how they could get passed every step though. I would be more concerned about normal cards (Visa's, Mastercards) because they can be used as credit and withdraw money at ATMs. My bank automatically sent me a new card and number and cancelled the one I used (one time because the damn PIN network was down).

I read something on computers.com (I think) tonight that the hackers are actually getting more money for the cards because they are able to give the location of the card with this breach. Thus, crooks can buy local numbers and use the card without suspicion for longer before it's shut down.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that this happened too....ughhhhhh

So wait, I'm confused now--
http://m.cnet.com/news/yikes!-targets-data-breach-now-could-affect-110m-people/57617034
Up to 110 million affected now? (Obviously, like they say in the article, there is overlap, but this 70 million now is separate from the 40 million) 70+40=110

Also, nearly a third of the United States population shops at target? (Wow.)

I still struggle with the way the other guy presents his information. It might be good or helpful stuff but for the sake of all that's good in the world, toning down the nastiness would get more people to take him seriously, I think. Oh well, if wishes were horses.....

so yesterday at huddle.....first huddle was for truck basic stuff.....second huddle with the hole team was a letter form the ceo about the break. than we had a seconded huddle in which we had another set of papers telling us how to deal with mad guest.

The latest from the other guy:
http://targetfiling.blogspot.com

===============================================================
:excited:
I spent about 40 min looking at the top of the blog, it seems to go on forever, but it also has a load of links to articles and sites as well as about a half dozen others which are probably his work.

Isn't this the guy who got sued by Spot for putting up some 'confidential' info from Target? If so it might explain his dislike for the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back