Archived Latest rumor at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness Trader Joe's is closed on Thanksgiving. So so so so happy. Good luck to all of you. I will be enjoying time with family & doing my shopping online in my pajamas cause that's how I roll.

http://www.target.com/c/target-black-friday/-/N-5q0f2

"The Main Event. November 27-29"

Should I read anything into that? Or is that similar language to last year when stores opened Thanksgiving night?

I get "no results found" when I open that link.
odd.

Just google "Target black friday" and it should give the same page as the first result.
It is spot messing with your head. It is a lead in for target.com during that week. Spot did the same thing last year.

Thank goodness Trader Joe's is closed on Thanksgiving. So so so so happy. Good luck to all of you. I will be enjoying time with family & doing my shopping online in my pajamas cause that's how I roll.
Well, if a team member in my store gets a promotion, there will be quite a few home in Jammie's - their choice...
If stl has any sense he will wait until after the holidays to do the promotion, or hopefully they will find someone from the outside....
This guy rubs EVERYONE the wrong way, and I mean everyone. If they promote out of desperation, they are crazy.

No matter what time we open for Black Friday, I hope the registers are working.. They have been so shaky lately it is making us all nervous that they will be going down during that weekend.

No matter what time we open for Black Friday, I hope the registers are working.. They have been so shaky lately it is making us all nervous that they will be going down during that weekend.

I spent FIVE hours on the phone with hotline and Catalina today, trying to sort out register problems.

My final tally was:

Three registers out of commission due to mechanical failure of scanner guns, flat beds or connectivity issues
Two registers out of commission due to coupon printers printing nothing but blank coupons
One register out of commission due to some unknown issue that the hotline tech couldn't even begin to explain

Not to mention I just found out we only have eight fresh Catalina ink cartridges left because some idiot hasn't been bagging ink carts for return for two months.

Black Friday is gonna be fun.

^What a lurker suggested: cannibalize your equipment until you only have one or two in which NOTHING works.

I spent FIVE hours on the phone with hotline and Catalina today, trying to sort out register problems.

My final tally was:

Three registers out of commission due to mechanical failure of scanner guns, flat beds or connectivity issues
Two registers out of commission due to coupon printers printing nothing but blank coupons
One register out of commission due to some unknown issue that the hotline tech couldn't even begin to explain

Not to mention I just found out we only have eight fresh Catalina ink cartridges left because some idiot hasn't been bagging ink carts for return for two months.

We have an over abundance of ink cartridges, but even if we change them, they print blank. I called the help desk the other day about that, and about crashing registers. The automated message was - if you are calling about crashing registers or pin pad problems, we are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue.
I was like - alrighty then.. I have 6 registers down, pin pads that don't work, most coupon machines aren't working, the weekend is coming up and you are aware of the issue.. That is reassuring to know when the lines start stretching down to market this weekend.

My final tally was:

We have an over abundance of ink cartridges, but even if we change them, they print blank. I called the help desk the other day about that, and about crashing registers. The automated message was - if you are calling about crashing registers or pin pad problems, we are aware of the situation and are working to resolve the issue.
I was like - alrighty then.. I have 6 registers down, pin pads that don't work, most coupon machines aren't working, the weekend is coming up and you are aware of the issue.. That is reassuring to know when the lines start stretching down to market this weekend.

Don't call the general hotline for coupon printers. Call Catalina. I can give you the 888 number I got that always seems to work for me.

Well, if a team member in my store gets a promotion, there will be quite a few home in Jammie's - their choice...
If stl has any sense he will wait until after the holidays to do the promotion, or hopefully they will find someone from the outside....
This guy rubs EVERYONE the wrong way, and I mean everyone. If they promote out of desperation, they are crazy.

I'm with you on the shaky registers. We have in just the past couple days had registers that freeze mid-transaction and have to be rebooted leaving the guest to have to go to another lane and have everything re-rung (not gonna be an option on Black Friday); card readers that randomly shut themselves off; we even have one Catalina printer that yesterday just started randomly printing gobs of coupons when no one had been on that register all day! There just may be a riot at my store come Black Friday when these things all start happening. God help me if I am GSA that day.

"Not to mention I just found out we only have eight fresh Catalina ink cartridges left because some idiot hasn't been bagging ink carts for return for two months."

Ink replenishment isn't tied to returns anymore. If you're low on cartridges, you can call Catalina and order more, but they usually ship according to your past usage.

i started putting in work orders for the registers through mysupport and they are getting fixed way faster. They had to send software updates to about 6 of my registers and I haven't had an issue with them since then. Maybe try that? It's worth a shot especially since you don't really have to talk to anyone.

My one friend has a telemarketing job ( he likes it) now I admit I would rather put up with lack of hrs, BF, etc than deal with Telemarketing. I actually hang up on those kind of people..... Imagine doing it...... I always nod when he says how much he loves it and how wonderful the pay is when in reality I want to say I hate telemarketing lol. They have tons of jobs for Telemarketing around here and I do mean tons.......
I did telemarketing (the "respectable" kind though, I telefunded for a well known arts charity) before Spot. Telefunding is a bitch but my boss and coworkers were awesome...cashiering is objectively easier but the culture is thousand times worse.

A 6pm open is pretty much confirmed at this point. Between Walmart, Best Buy, Macy's and Kmart at 8am, there's not a chance we'll open a minute later than 6pm. All I can do is shake my head and sigh. I know there are some professions who works 365, but a) they're necessities (doctors, nurses, fire fighters, etc), and b) they get a lot more respect than us.

I still maintain Target could have WONDERFUL press coverage if they would simply make a public announcement "This Thanksgiving, we care about our team. As such we will be closed for Thanksgiving."

Of course, the way I would word it would be "Unlike SOME OTHER GREEDY PEOPLE WE WON'T MENTION BY NAME, in an effort to rebuild trust with our team, we will be closed on Thanksgiving so our team can spend time with their families LIKE THE HOLIDAY WAS MEANT TO BE CELEBRATED."

I still maintain Target could have WONDERFUL press coverage if they would simply make a public announcement "This Thanksgiving, we care about our team. As such we will be closed for Thanksgiving."

Of course, the way I would word it would be "Unlike SOME OTHER GREEDY PEOPLE WE WON'T MENTION BY NAME, in an effort to rebuild trust with our team, we will be closed on Thanksgiving so our team can spend time with their families LIKE THE HOLIDAY WAS MEANT TO BE CELEBRATED."

I really wish they would do that. I mean they won't, but it'd be nice.

Clearly they think people wouldnt come in and shop...AT ALL...if we opened later..mhmm sure Target....Im sure people wouldnt come even though during the entire day of friday we are slammed anyway...most of the people that come first are only there for door busters anyway..im sure they would still come...or at least...most of the product would still be sold...it would just be a little later in the day

People spend the majority of their money at the first place they go for black Friday. Thus, what they ought to do is do whatever they are going to do...probably open at 6pm...and then close at midnight, let us get some damn sleep, and then reopen at 8am. No point in being open for those 8 hours in between.

People spend the majority of their money at the first place they go for black Friday. Thus, what they ought to do is do whatever they are going to do...probably open at 6pm...and then close at midnight, let us get some damn sleep, and then reopen at 8am. No point in being open for those 8 hours in between.

I wish we would close at midnight. We had so few guests around 1 am.

And the place is literally a ghost town, too. Like I'm thinking the rapture happened between those times.

I started hearing that assertion last year and continue to hear it this year but while there is certainly a correlation between spending most of your money on Black Friday at your first stop, I'm not convinced there's a causation in spending most of your money at your first stop.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that while people certainly may spend most of their money at their first stop, are they spending most of their money because it's their first stop OR are they spending that money because they chose their first stop as the place that had the most stuff advertised they were looking for? If the latter is the case then there's really no point in opening early, instead it would be smarter for stores to spend that money on allocating budgeting for deeper price cuts instead of paying for more employee man hours.

Frankly, I think this whole Black Friday thing has turned into a giant corporate dick-waving contest anyway.

We had so few guests around 1 am.

Then your zone and ALL reshop should be PURE GREEEEEENNNN !!!!!

and did I say ALL BACKSTOCK should be STO'd.

this will never happen cause TMs are sooooo lazy these days and will just stand there and say "where did all the people go ? I'm working a Holiday and don't have to do a thing to do." ... lol

If the latter is the case then there's really no point in opening early, instead it would be smarter for stores to spend that money on allocating budgeting for deeper price cuts instead of paying for more employee man hours.

Frankly, I think this whole Black Friday thing has turned into a giant corporate dick-waving contest anyway.

Eh, that wouldn't work well. Employee man hours are nothing. It's not much of an expense at all when compared to hourly sales on those days. On Black Friday we have guests come in and drop $5,000, that's a two-week paycheck for 10 employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back