Archived Locu Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new to target and they put me in the backroom when they where they are teaching me how to do pulls and how to back stock. They talked about something called and locu and it is very confusing. The problem is the staff have really strong accents and i cant really understand what they are saying. And when they try to show me how to do it they go extremely fast. I was wondering if someone could list the steps on how to properly do an locu i know you have to return three times and thats all i remember. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Yea but i feel like if i have steps i will be able to get the gist of what they are doing instead of trying to watch them do it fast and have trouble explaining it to me

Locu is an RF app that removes everything from an location.

All you do is scan the location and everything is not located there, after you scan a location you can either scan a UPC to store an item back into only that spot or scan another location to wipe another location. Pretty much unless you're comfortable with it, it can lead to unnecessary errors, it can also correct many errors. Most will recommend just to use it to wipe a location and go back to STO to actually locate items back into the system.

You can get a locu error though if you leave items in that location and it doesn't get re-sto into that location or another.

Basically any time you use LOCU you should make sure you have accounted for all the items in that location, either by sto-ing back into the same location or another. That or in a cart to be sto'ed at a late time or pushed out etc.

In "RF Apps" at the main menu after the employee login is done you can just type in "LOCU" just like you can type in "PULL" or "STO" etc. You cannot toggle in or out of Locu so you have to back out of any other apps in RF apps before entering it, after typing in locu, you get a warning about it hit c/right arrow to continue then you can scan a location to unlocate all items in that location. Just remember to fully relocate everything in that location somewhere or pull it all out.

I really suggest you get an experienced TM to watch over you use it a few times, as I said before it can easily fix or create errors when done improperly but yes it can really help you.

I usually advise new tms ( or tms who are new to the backroom process) to locu the location then exit out of that app and go into STO and restore the items that way. If you scan the location in Locu you are wiping out everything. If you restore everything while in locu you just need to scan the location then the items enter the quanity etc( meaning you don't have to rescan the location for every different dpci). Because, usually when backstocking you would scan the location for each different dpci this becomes almost like second nature. So, if you are under locu and you scan a item and rescan the location you just re wiped out the location. So, I always tell people to locu the location exit out of that app and go back under sto and restore the items.

I usually advise new tms ( or tms who are new to the backroom process) to locu the location then exit out of that app and go into STO and restore the items that way. If you scan the location in Locu you are wiping out everything. If you restore everything while in locu you just need to scan the location then the items enter the quanity etc( meaning you don't have to rescan the location for every different dpci). Because, usually when backstocking you would scan the location for each different dpci this becomes almost like second nature. So, if you are under locu and you scan a item and rescan the location you just re wiped out the location. So, I always tell people to locu the location exit out of that app and go back under sto and restore the items.
Yeah I know a TL at a store i was visiting who made that mistake caused like 300 locu baffles all on his own when i was going over his BRLA with him and stuff, but that is where speed can be gained while doing especially case stock from blackline. You can quickly store many items onto empty shelves without having to keep scanning locations. People just have to remember when you scan a location you unlocate everything in there with locu, when you scan a upc you store items into the last scanned location. Powerful but can cause problems, i know TMs who struggle to understand the difference between update and just straight stoing sometimes you just have to stand there and be patient until they get it because errors in the backroom can readily increase the backroom workload. Take the hit train your BR TMs thoroughly I know our backroom pretty much has a TM with you all day your first two days going over everything and double checking for understanding. It hurts us on days with new TMs but it's produced much better TMs.

Yeah I know a TL at a store i was visiting who made that mistake caused like 300 locu baffles all on his own when i was going over his BRLA with him and stuff, but that is where speed can be gained while doing especially case stock from blackline. You can quickly store many items onto empty shelves without having to keep scanning locations. People just have to remember when you scan a location you unlocate everything in there with locu, when you scan a upc you store items into the last scanned location. Powerful but can cause problems, i know TMs who struggle to understand the difference between update and just straight stoing sometimes you just have to stand there and be patient until they get it because errors in the backroom can readily increase the backroom workload. Take the hit train your BR TMs thoroughly I know our backroom pretty much has a TM with you all day your first two days going over everything and double checking for understanding. It hurts us on days with new TMs but it's produced much better TMs.
Asants..However, at my store we ( backroom) are told not to use locu to store or restore merchandise. We are told to locu the location then go out and into sto to restore the items. So, when I am training a new tm I have no choice in the matter. Even if leadership wasn't against using locu to restore items...I wouldn't train a new tm that way. I would rather them know the right way and get that down to a science THEN learn shortcuts( ie locu to restore items. )

Kind of off topic, but is it bad to use LOCU to "take" items?

Sometimes if I have a few extra minutes I'll run in the cooler and do a quick visual comparison between the milk in the doors & the milk in the wacos...if any in the doors are low and we have some in the wacos I'll just locu them out, fill the floor to capacity, and then (still in locu) sto whatever I have left back in its original location.

I get that it may not be 'best practice' or whatever, but I know I'm scanning everything properly and getting everything in location, so I'm mostly concerned about whether or not I'm throwing off on-hand counts or anything when I do that? Am I sending out any red flags in the system by using LOCU instead of SUBT?

If I have a mydevice I simply "take" the items I need, but as a BRTM I never have a MyDevice and the SUBT process is absolutely idiotic and takes far too long, so normally if I grab a few items from a waco with only one or two DPCI's I just do it in LOCU.

Taking/re-backstocking stuff in LOCU takes 2 scans and inserting a number. In SUBT it's like...what...3 taps to get into the app, another tap to tell it why you're taking the item, a scan, inserting a number, and another tap. ridiculous. LOCU is 10x more efficient under certain conditions.

Kind of off topic, but is it bad to use LOCU to "take" items?

Sometimes if I have a few extra minutes I'll run in the cooler and do a quick visual comparison between the milk in the doors & the milk in the wacos...if any in the doors are low and we have some in the wacos I'll just locu them out, fill the floor to capacity, and then (still in locu) sto whatever I have left back in its original location.

I get that it may not be 'best practice' or whatever, but I know I'm scanning everything properly and getting everything in location, so I'm mostly concerned about whether or not I'm throwing off on-hand counts or anything when I do that? Am I sending out any red flags in the system by using LOCU instead of SUBT?

If I have a mydevice I simply "take" the items I need, but as a BRTM I never have a MyDevice and the SUBT process is absolutely idiotic and takes far too long, so normally if I grab a few items from a waco with only one or two DPCI's I just do it in LOCU.

Taking/re-backstocking stuff in LOCU takes 2 scans and inserting a number. In SUBT it's like...what...3 taps to get into the app, another tap to tell it why you're taking the item, a scan, inserting a number, and another tap. ridiculous. LOCU is 10x more efficient under certain conditions.
Locu doesn't change the on-floor amount, so it won't know that the shelf is full and the item will likely get pulled in the next CAF or autofill if there's any more backstocked.

So you're not doing anything horribly wrong. It just wastes a few seconds for the BR to pull it again, the PA to push it and see that it's full, and the BR to backstock it.

Asants..However, at my store we ( backroom) are told not to use locu to store or restore merchandise. We are told to locu the location then go out and into sto to restore the items. So, when I am training a new tm I have no choice in the matter. Even if leadership wasn't against using locu to restore items...I wouldn't train a new tm that way. I would rather them know the right way and get that down to a science THEN learn shortcuts( ie locu to restore items. )

Locu isn't a shortcut. It's the correct way to update a location. LOCationUpdate.

If someone is too stupid to use it properly then they shouldnt be in the backroom to begin with.

Why were they teaching you backroom? I first suspected to pull your own sales planners but that doesn't seem the case. You shouldn't be worried about locuing anything starting out, just backstocking or pulling until you have enough time logged in the backroom to understand a few things.

There should be a trainer they stick you with for a couple weeks

Locu isn't a shortcut. It's the correct way to update a location. LOCationUpdate.

If someone is too stupid to use it properly then they shouldnt be in the backroom to begin with.
As I said in my store ...we are not allowed to use locu to restore. I don't make the rules. I just follow them. We are instructed to locu the location then restore the items under sto. The Stl is the one who implemented the change. Do I use locu to restore? Every now and then yes. Because I know what I am doing .But I will not teach a new tm to do it and then it come back on me .

Last edited:
Locu doesn't change the on-floor amount, so it won't know that the shelf is full and the item will likely get pulled in the next CAF or autofill if there's any more backstocked.

So you're not doing anything horribly wrong. It just wastes a few seconds for the BR to pull it again, the PA to push it and see that it's full, and the BR to backstock it.
Thanks! That actually makes a ton of sense. Im surprised I never noticed pulling/backstocking stuff that I filled w locu since I'm BR lol

Thanks! That actually makes a ton of sense. Im surprised I never noticed pulling/backstocking stuff that I filled w locu since I'm BR lol
When you purge, before you back stock scan the items in sfq and max the cap. If it's back stock, then you know it's full. Saves you from having to burn it later

As I said in my store ...we are not allowed to use locu to restore. I don't make the rules. I just follow them. We are instructed to locu the location then restore the items under sto. The Stl is the one who implemented the change. Do I use locu to restore? Every now and then yes. Because I know what I am doing .But I will not teach a new tm to do it and then it come back on me .

Yes I was also informed of this change long after it was implemented... oops.

Something to do with replenishment. I didn't ask.

you should NEVER LOCU and push to the floor, unless the ETL-logistics of backroom TL give you permission!
as its been said, it doesnt change the sales floor quantity, BUT, if it can refill from the backroom when the product is needed, that product will get ordered. even if the on hands says you have 10 and the SF location needs 10, the computer wont care, and put it on order. instocks looks for holes mostly, or places where product needs to be filled. so if they dont see any need to scan it there is no need to update the count. it should be right.

we had a guy who would LOCU the dairyroom and fill the floor. THEN, when the fresh shipment would come in, dont know what its called in other areas so ill call it that, lunchables would be full on the floor and none in the back, but since it was LOCU'd out to the floor we'd get 8-10 of each flavor. simply balanced orange juices and lemonades? we need 3 for the floor, we'd get 6-8 each truck. this went on for 2 years and the dairy room was red as red can be with few occasions of green. until it was pointed out that he used LOCU. the TM refused to use EXFs, research, or subt to pull products and would burn batches, so suffice to say he was taken off backroom duty for several months.

so NO, do not LOCU to the floor. whether you LOCU or use STO to return the product to the shelf in the back is up to you. and without LOCU low/tight/productive would be very hard.

you should NEVER LOCU and push to the floor, unless the ETL-logistics of backroom TL give you permission!
as its been said, it doesnt change the sales floor quantity, BUT, if it can refill from the backroom when the product is needed, that product will get ordered. even if the on hands says you have 10 and the SF location needs 10, the computer wont care, and put it on order. instocks looks for holes mostly, or places where product needs to be filled. so if they dont see any need to scan it there is no need to update the count. it should be right.

If you absolutely must insist on using LOCU to purge product, make sure you update the SFQ for every DPCI.

I'm so grateful for this forum, I was just told to use locu when i came accross an item that i couldnt find in my pulls (never Move because it hurts our score) and shown how to do it once. Messed up the first time i did it by myself but fixed with mydevice hrs later. Now I understand how LOCU works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back