Archived Mandatory 15 Minute Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if they're mandatory at any other store...
We had a huddle about a month ago and were told that when we work long enough to earn a 15 minute paid break, we are required to take them. The reason they gave to us for it is because they want to assure we've had our time away to relax and get away for a bit. Does this sound a bit weird to anyone else?
I was just wondering because according to other posts, most stores have an issue with not even giving 15 minute breaks.

I would say that breaks are "mandatory" at my store. The truth is, everyone assumes you will take your break and no one encourages anyone to NOT take their break, so as a result - everyone takes their breaks. There is a breakout for my department each day and all breaks and lunches are scheduled. You take your break when it's scheduled so that the floor is not short with more than one person taking a break at a time. We are all adults and just go on break when we are scheduled. No on babysits the break schedule for others.

I suppose you could skip your break, but why would you? Working through your breaks lowers your effective hourly wage since those paid breaks are worked into your rate. It also sets an artificially high productivity level. If three people skip two 15 minute breaks each, that's an hour and half worth of work that shouldn't get done that IS getting done, setting unrealistic time frames for tasks.

Encouraging breaks also allows for stricter control over goofing off while on the floor. You can check your phone on your breaks, so checking your phone on the floor is frowned upon, etc.

Has your store had issues in the past with implying a team member couldn't take their break? To be honest with them wording it like that ...it almost sounds like someone reported them( ie hotline) over something concerning breaks the " we want to assure you had time away and to relax a bit " sounds a bit rehearsed and not something they would say just to be saying it .

Yep, it sounds like they got reported and are making sure it doesn't happen again.
Stores might look the other way on 15s but the Spot wants to be seen as decent company so they crack down.
After the last thing they want is TMs to start organizing.

Yep, it sounds like they got reported and are making sure it doesn't happen again.
Stores might look the other way on 15s but the Spot wants to be seen as decent company so they crack down.
Sometimes I seriously ponder why we do NOT get organized with the BS that goes on at times.

Sometimes I seriously ponder why we do NOT get organized with the BS that goes on at times.

Because when it happens Spot shuts the store down for 'remodeling' and doesn't rehire anyone who had anything to do with organizing.
Then they just pay the fines the government levies for unfair labor practices because that's better in their mind than having a store organize.

Because when it happens Spot shuts the store down for 'remodeling' and doesn't rehire anyone who had anything to do with organizing.
Then they just pay the fines the government levies for unfair labor practices because that's better in their mind than having a store organize.

strong theory, but the store was probably reported.

however, my HR will keep a copy of the break schedule for each day and keep them filed. not sure if this is best practice or not but it is a great idea. all parties involved are responsible for breaks. Target is only required to ENFORCE the 30's(or 15's) based on your state law. If I am LOD and the TM forgets to take their 15... tough chit youll have to wait. I cant babysit breaks. if you follow the break schedule which is usually, in my eyes, fair(break scheduled every 2-2.5 hours) then you will always have someone to cover your break but if you miss your break i am not letting you jack up the rest of the teams breaks.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID, as a former TM and current ETL.... i love my breaks because I literally 'get away' and shut it down for that little bit of time. especially as an etl where i only take 1 fifteen min break in a 10-11 hour day

my breaks consist of 1 minute to walk to front, 1 minute to buy energy drink, 1 minute to walk back to backroom, 2 minutes to drink energy drink. Then its back to work. Only time i take a 15 minute break is when i know a babe is sitting in the breakroom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/target-valley-stream-closing-union_n_1371114.html

Valley Stream, NY store in case anyone is curious or doubts your claims.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/target-valley-stream-closing-union_n_1371114.html

Valley Stream, NY store in case anyone is curious or doubts your claims.
wow that is fucked up! Target really should get unionized but wow... the way management fights back...

They just have to offer you the opportunity to take a 15 minute break - the 30 minute lunch is strictly enforced to prevent compliance (some states have strict laws) but 15 isn't necessarily enforced at the store. They probably got a hotline call. I had TMs who never wanted to take their 15 min. break. I told them they needed to step away and just relax for a few minutes. Some never did - I also brought them a drink and a snack most of the time so they at least took time out to drink/eat it.

wow that is fucked up! Target really should get unionized but wow... the way management fights back...
The fines they get are cheaper than allowing even a single store to unionize. The penalties need to be 100x heavier, or the NLRB should have the authority to not just shut down the store trying to unionize, but to shut them ALL down for a week as punishment, and order backpay to all hourly team members to their average hours for the week of stores closing.

If any store is involved with the NLRB or OSHA in any way remodeling plans should be immediately delayed and the store must remain open. Oh well, wishful thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back