Archived Meal Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys never use equipment..the time is on it lol...and at least at my store there are clocks everywhere in the backroom including a timeclock

Most of our violations are from flow or people going into compliance because they stayed super late and missed what would be their 2nd lunch.

Do you guys never use equipment..the time is on it lol...and at least at my store there are clocks everywhere in the backroom including a timeclock

Most of our violations are from flow or people going into compliance because they stayed super late and missed what would be their 2nd lunch.
We actually have scales all over the place in the deli that have the time on them and we have a register, too. XD

That's unfortunate.
Never been a problem for me and I stack thousands of boxes a day.

Digging in and dragging out all the shit at the back of the shelves, and having to count everything and pulling out everything since people who stock thousands of boxes a day couldn't be bothered to stock them correctly.

My experience yours may vary. :)

pfreshdude - most regular salesfloor people don't have equipment since there is so little of it, all the process teams have it all until they leave. I trust my phone, since the MyDevices have been known to be set to the wrong time zone.

Last edited:
They tell us this all of the time. In our state the meal labor laws only apply to those under 18, but they keep saying "It's the law." No, it's not. It IS a Target policy, though, so it's a good idea to follow that in order to keep your job.
I suspect that "it's the law" is a blanket statement for all stores because it helps reduce the trouble that can happen when a TM/TL transfers from a store in one state to another state. We have a TM who transferred from another state and they rarely take any breaks at all. They leave slightly early if they have a 6 hour shift and almost never take 15's. Meal Compliance wasn't considered a big deal at their old store, though I will give it to them that I don't believe they've hit compliance even once since they transferred here.

Although we are a small store, meal compliance is always a big issue for us. What seems to work is games. At the moment we are keeping the score on what team has the lowest meal violation rate. The team with 0% meal violations gets additional points.
We do this over the span of a month. The winning team gets a pizza party or karaoke and icecream or something else fun that fits the budget and the team interest.

Also identify WHY they won't take a lunch in time. Is the TL trying to push them to wait until the last minute? Are the TMs aware of the policy and do they feel empowered to say "I'm going to be late for my lunch"?. How big is your team? During Q4 I pretty much spend everyday with a breakout and by the 5th hour I call the TMs asking them when they are planning on going on lunch.
Another thing that could work if your budget allows it: we carry small kitchen timers:
Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
They have a magnet on the back too. They can all be set for 5 hours (or 4 depending on the state), stick a number on them and leave them by the timeclock (all you need a magnetic board). The TMs need to take one during their shift and log it out every time. By the time the timer goes off they should have a very clear idea of when they are going to lunch.

Also identify WHY they won't take a lunch in time.

Our stores has been having huge compliance issues lately. If we are 30 days without a violation, we get pizza. We've been trying for a while now, with no luck. Made it as far as 18 days, and then had a violation. From what I have heard, the issues are with tms clocking out incorrectly. They are not hitting "start meal" but rather end meal or start work again or w/e and then wind up hitting compliance.

I think it also depends on the work center. When I was doing mostly SFS, I was constantly *running* to the time clock at 1:55 when I came in at 8am (6 hour state), praying I wouldn't get stopped by a guest, because all our orders had to be picked by 2:00 or we wouldn't be "green," and I was trying to make sure it was all done by that time.

In short, seems like you have TMs making mistakes with punches, and then some of it is because of lack of staffing.

Our stores has been having huge compliance issues lately. If we are 30 days without a violation, we get pizza. We've been trying for a while now, with no luck. Made it as far as 18 days, and then had a violation. From what I have heard, the issues are with tms clocking out incorrectly. They are not hitting "start meal" but rather end meal or start work again or w/e and then wind up hitting compliance.

I think it also depends on the work center. When I was doing mostly SFS, I was constantly *running* to the time clock at 1:55 when I came in at 8am (6 hour state), praying I wouldn't get stopped by a guest, because all our orders had to be picked by 2:00 or we wouldn't be "green," and I was trying to make sure it was all done by that time.

In short, seems like you have TMs making mistakes with punches, and then some of it is because of lack of staffing.

Well, sometimes you can't help stupid. If they get confused from using 4 buttons on a timeclock I am terrified to see what they would do with a remote. Sometimes it takes some babysitting. As HR I teach new TM to use the time clock and to use the TM functions button so that they can check their punch. Also as long as they record the time in one way or the other and take the appropriate time for their lunch, they will be okay. Mytime doesnt really care about what button you press to "name" the punch as long as the punches are all there.

Also in my store we reinforce the best practice of going on lunch at the 5th hour so that the TM has 1 hour cushion from their workcenter to the timeclock (in case they have to help a guest, team lift, code 1, carry outs).

It takes a long time to break the old habits and honestly is up to leadership to follow up. If leadership does not care, nothing will improve

Digging in and dragging out all the shit at the back of the shelves, and having to count everything and pulling out everything since people who stock thousands of boxes a day couldn't be bothered to stock them correctly.

My experience yours may vary. :)

pfreshdude - most regular salesfloor people don't have equipment since there is so little of it, all the process teams have it all until they leave. I trust my phone, since the MyDevices have been known to be set to the wrong time zone.

We have at least one mydevice that still says it's mid-February, and it randomly changes itself to anytime from like 11am-1pm throughout the day. I don't think it shows any other times, lol.

They are not hitting "start meal" but rather end meal or start work again or w/e and then wind up hitting compliance.

This doesn't matter. You can hit start work on all 4 punches and my time will adjust them for you as long as you end up with four total punches.

Now if you clock out twice and end up with 5 punches then my time gets confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back