Archived Meal violation/non meal compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was called in for a closing soft lines shift and when I checked the shift online it said it was 5.5 hours. I thought I just needed to take one fifteen. I didn't realize until it was too late that It was really a 6-hour shift and it said 5.5 online because it was minus the meal period. I didn't think anything of it because I had 5.5 and 5.75-hour shifts where they said I only needed to take a fifteen. I'm in a 6-hour state and hit my 6th hour without taking a meal. I realize that it was stupid that I didn't count the hours when I saw it online. I realize that it was my own fault for not realizing and losing track of time. I told the HR team member at my store and she said that they'll deal with it later. I'm past my 90 days and haven't had any issues before. How likely is it that I'll lose my job or get written up?

It's not a big deal unless it happens consistently. At my store, they have a meal compliance binder where they add your name and date that it occurred and you just need to sign it.

Yeah you won't get fired over it. I actually hit compliance during my 90 days (like...first couple weeks actually) and they were just like "don't do it again or you will be fired cos you're in your 90"

You should be fine. You'll sign the compliance sheet. Doesn't the closer make a lunch schedule? At my store, you would sign the sheet, and I would get coached as the closing LOD.

Yesterday I was called in for a closing soft lines shift and when I checked the shift online it said it was 5.5 hours. I thought I just needed to take one fifteen. I didn't realize until it was too late that It was really a 6-hour shift and it said 5.5 online because it was minus the meal period. I didn't think anything of it because I had 5.5 and 5.75-hour shifts where they said I only needed to take a fifteen. I'm in a 6-hour state and hit my 6th hour without taking a meal. I realize that it was stupid that I didn't count the hours when I saw it online. I realize that it was my own fault for not realizing and losing track of time. I told the HR team member at my store and she said that they'll deal with it later. I'm past my 90 days and haven't had any issues before. How likely is it that I'll lose my job or get written up?

On your next shift the LOD should approach you and let you sign a paper. They'll tell you to make sure it doesn't happen again but normally nothing else will happen. Do not worry about your employment at this time :)

I am in a 5 hour state. I hit it twice only by a few minutes and the HR person said no big deal dont worry about it.
As HR TM to me it is a hig deal because each person violating meal regulation ( and training due dates) will influence a metric that I am personally graded on.
But yeah for TMs not a biggie.
People be nice to your HR!! They got metrics and numbers and stuff to keep green! :p:D

As HR TM to me it is a hig deal because each person violating meal regulation ( and training due dates) will influence a metric that I am personally graded on.
But yeah for TMs not a biggie.
People be nice to your HR!! They got metrics and numbers and stuff to keep green! :p:D
I'm an HR TM too so YES I agree 100%. Compliance/labor laws...big deal! Not termination worthy for the TM but we do keep track of your violations.

How likely is it that I'll lose my job or get written up?
Not likely at all to lose your job. They get graded by the state and corporate on that though. The action taken for meal compliance is a formal coaching and a write up. It was a mistake, you may be coached (corrected) for it so as to inform you of the importance of taking the meal on time and explanation of why. This may or may not happen. It depends on the urgency your leader feels towards the issue. Beings it is your first time, you might not be written up for it but you will have to sign a compliance sheet. That doesn't mean it will go against your records with target and effect your review. Definitely won't get fired.

Depends on your leadership. In my store, hitting meal compliance is an automatic Corrective Action. No exceptions.

I have 3 meal compliances and I am under 90 days. I do not have a corrective action, confirmed by ETL-HR. Bad habits from my previous job, they understand. Long as it doesn't happen like 2-3 more times it's not a big deal. I'm a PA if it makes any difference, I think they're actually desperate to keep someone in my position lol

Yeah you won't get fired over it. I actually hit compliance during my 90 days (like...first couple weeks actually) and they were just like "don't do it again or you will be fired cos you're in your 90"

Odd, they said they would only give me corrective action at 5-6

Compliance is such a huge issue for our store that they tried bribing us with a party or something if we were compliance free for a week. Someone hit it two days in. :rolleyes:

I have 3 meal compliances and I am under 90 days. I do not have a corrective action, confirmed by ETL-HR. Bad habits from my previous job, they understand. Long as it doesn't happen like 2-3 more times it's not a big deal. I'm a PA if it makes any difference, I think they're actually desperate to keep someone in my position lol

Odd, they said they would only give me corrective action at 5-6

HR ignoring meal compliance makes me wonder how many things go wrong in your store. I am actually cringing

You will not get fired for hitting compliance once but hitting compliance can result in corrective action and termination if you hit compliance several times. Target can get fined if too many team member hit compliance.

You will not get fired for hitting compliance once but hitting compliance can result in corrective action and termination if you hit compliance several times. Target can get fined if too many team member hit compliance.
Fined by who? And in what state?

As others have mentioned don't worry too much. I'm under 90 and have hit it more than once...

The leads at my store say the same about fines. They say that if OSHA comes in and asks to check the compliance binders then the store can be charged $1,000 per team member who hit compliance during the week they asked to see.

They promised a store party if we were compliance free for a month. Bet that won't be happening!

My understanding was that the store would get a hefty fine if they didn't allow you to start a lunch within that 5-6 hour period, and that signing the book was essentially a waiver.

Within my first 3 weeks, i hit compliance twice.. not because I didn't remember to take my break, but because no one came to cover me when called and I did notify LOD. Since I have great work ethic I didn't want to just abandon my area, but I was now told that no matter what "just leave". Since then every shift I feel like I'm getting "ridden" to log out and comments are made at me when I clock in. Last night the my device and phone had the incorrect time on them (45 mins off), so I get the call over walkie that I'm about to hit compliance and have to log out. I'm like I still have 45 mins and they mentioned the time which is when I realized the my device and and phone time were off (both issued by Target). So I go to clock out and LOD makes a comment to me that i was about to hit compliance again and I show her that my TARGET issued devices had the wrong time.. the response I get it is "buy a watch or check my phone". If a Target issued device is inaccurate, and I'm actively checking them, how is it my problem to buy a watch or use my phone. Guess I'm in the minority.

Within my first 3 weeks, i hit compliance twice.. not because I didn't remember to take my break, but because no one came to cover me when called and I did notify LOD. Since I have great work ethic I didn't want to just abandon my area, but I was now told that no matter what "just leave". Since then every shift I feel like I'm getting "ridden" to log out and comments are made at me when I clock in. Last night the my device and phone had the incorrect time on them (45 mins off), so I get the call over walkie that I'm about to hit compliance and have to log out. I'm like I still have 45 mins and they mentioned the time which is when I realized the my device and and phone time were off (both issued by Target). So I go to clock out and LOD makes a comment to me that i was about to hit compliance again and I show her that my TARGET issued devices had the wrong time.. the response I get it is "buy a watch or check my phone". If a Target issued device is inaccurate, and I'm actively checking them, how is it my problem to buy a watch or use my phone. Guess I'm in the minority.
I always go by the mydevice time and not my phone. I got screwed by compliance 3 times because of it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back