Archived Merchandise Flow vs Sales Floor (Hardlines/Electronics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody, I'm in a big dilemma. For a long time, almost a year I've been wanting to move from Flow to Sales Floor just because I hate working in Flow at 4am, I feel it's too early! , I had already started some sort of process to move to Sales, but they told me that they pay is a dollar less that what I have now. I got the Shift Differential which is ¢50 from 4am to 8am, and apparently other ¢50 because of the position, so that really makes me think twice about moving. I thought it was only going to be the shift differential.

Next week I'm going to have 25 hours finally! and to be honest one of the things I really like is the pay right now. I was wondering whether if sales floor is good or not, like better or easier or anything. I work really fast and I like what I do, what I don't like is sleep very little, but I think I'm gonna have to deal with it just for the money, but still I would like to know more about Sales Floor.

Also which one is better Hardlines or Electronics? I've been reading and told that Hardlines is easier, but electronics not so much because they're basically putting a lot of pressure on the guys there and kind of forcing to sell some thing like Service Plans and Red Cards.

If anything do you guys know if I can be cross trained, to try it and of course more hours?

Electronics is a higher paygrade (should be the same as flow), but you are expected to know about the products we sell and be able to sell accessories, service plans, and REDcards. Other than that aspect, electronics and hardlines is the same work. Zoning, working returns and CAFs, setting salesplanners, backup cashiering, and guest service.

Last edited:
ok and besides of that how does cross training work at Target?

Flow pays more than Electronics. Electronics is 0.50 above base pay while flow is 1.00 plus the shift differential for 4am and earlier

ok and besides of that how does cross training work at Target?
It depends on your store. Most cross training is usually just being scheduled for a shift or picking up a shift, showing up, and a TL or experienced TM or the LOD will walk you through what you need to do. Probably way less formal training than you've had before. You're flow, so you know how to stock which means you can do returns and CAFs no problem. If your store has flow help guests in the morning then you're good there too. The only real training you might need is cashier training to be able to help with backup calls.

Electronics training is usually, "Here's a walkie. Here's some keys. Ring out locked items at the boat. Call me if you need help."

Shift differential is only $2/day. That adds up over time, but losing shift diff really only means you're losing a max of $14/wk if you work every day from 4a-8a which isn't likely. So it's probably closer to the $6 range. It's a cut, but maybe your sleep and some semblance of a normal schedule is more important to you. Everyone has their own priorities.

Flow pays more than Electronics. Electronics is 0.50 above base pay while flow is 1.00 plus the shift differential for 4am and earlier
And shift differential varies by store. Some stores don't even have shift diff anymore.

So how should I approach about wanting to get cross trained in hardlines if I'm flow team member? And how does it work? I mean i believe some team members can pick some shift or something like that if other TMs won't make it that day or something.

5y11r.jpg

Depends on the store. When you are in Electronics, you are expected to be knowledgeable and sell area product. Some stores do not give any details on product except what is posted on labels and boxes.
In some stores, Elecstronics is the only opening Hardlines TM until about 11am or 3pm. When this happens, you are expected to get all Hardline buttons and calls. But you are expected to stay around the boat in case a guest needs a lock up item.

Hardlines is mainly consists of closing TMs to zone and reshop. Any mids are usually scheduled on high traffic days. Mornings can be scheduled if there is product expected to be pushed.

I worked Electronics and it helps to be knowledgeable but it's not a requirement believe it or not. We have scheduled random TM's who have never worked electronics before because all the normal Electronics TM's were off. If you're back there enough you start getting a feel for it. Best part is you're not required to respond to code one's so you get a break with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back