Archived Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyMonday

Starbucks TL
On September 1st the Michigan minimum wage is increased to $8.15. Dose anyone now if your pay grade is above minimum wage ,will you get more than that. The min. Wage is now 7.40 and flow TM start at 8.00.

When we've had starting pay increases nobody making more than that saw an increase. It's a very satisfying feeling to know that you can put in years of service and make the same amount of money as a new hire, isn't it?

This is why so many people hate the idea of a minimum wage increase despite all the good it would do.

In NJ, the min wage rose a few months ago from 7.50 to 8.25. They gave the current flow TM a .25 increas but new hires will still come in at 8.50.

It's really a kick in the teeth that the people that unloads trucks and life heavy shit only get a quarter more than cashiers. I mean, really?

When we've had starting pay increases nobody making more than that saw an increase. It's a very satisfying feeling to know that you can put in years of service and make the same amount of money as a new hire, isn't it?

This is why so many people hate the idea of a minimum wage increase despite all the good it would do.

Just for the record I am in no way picking on anyone for feeling this way. I admit the idea of people just getting paid 10.00* an hour while I had to work for years to make 10.10* does seem depressing.

Just remember if people get paid more it does save you in the long run though because they will no longer need tax payer created safety nets.

*Numbers used in the examples not exact.

I just wanted to if they keep the different pay grades cause our hr person said she doesnt think so. I shouldn't make the same that a cashier makes when I work flow but my hr person is not very good lol

In CA the minimum went from $8/hr to $9/hr on July 1st. No change, as our starting pay for N03 was (and remains) $9.25/hr.

I wonder what happens when they raise it again, because it's already law- 0n Jan 1, 2016, CA minimum goes to $10/hr. Wonder if there will be layoffs.

In CA the minimum went from $8/hr to $9/hr on July 1st. No change, as our starting pay for N03 was (and remains) $9.25/hr.

I wonder what happens when they raise it again, because it's already law- 0n Jan 1, 2016, CA minimum goes to $10/hr. Wonder if there will be layoffs.
Your N03 pay grade used to be over a dollar above minimum wage?! Good grief, here they're at minimum wage and there are times I feel as if they feel that is too high. :p

Your N03 is A DOLLAR TWENTY-FIVE above minimum wage? Ours was only 25 cents above minimum when I started.

I just wanted to if they keep the different pay grades cause our hr person said she doesnt think so. I shouldn't make the same that a cashier makes when I work flow but my hr person is not very good lol

I'll remember that next time I'm zoning and have to move half a shelf around and take half of the product to the backroom because flow just shoved it wherever looked good...or when I have to knock a huge amount off an item for a guest again thanks to items being stocked wrong.

I'll remember that next time I'm zoning and have to move half a shelf around and take half of the product to the backroom because flow just shoved it wherever looked good...or when I have to knock a huge amount off an item for a guest again thanks to items being stocked wrong.

Neat! It's not just my store's (current) flow team that can't do things correctly!

Having worked the truck before as well as cashiered as a GSA, I think the cashier deserves a raise and you deserve a pay cut. It's largely just symbolic, to signify the difference in the difficulty of your jobs and the quality of your work.

See how that works! This game is fun.

Supposedly flow team gets paid more because it's more labor intensive and more important to operations... right, try removing the entire flow team and the store will still operate for a while, remove the ability to check out and your store is done. Cashiers have to keep an eye our for shoplifters, we stand at tills that have thousands and thousands of dollars in them, we have to make sure people aren't scamming us... I've worked nearly every job in the store and I think cashing is one of the more difficult and stressful jobs.

N03 was minimum wage when I started. I then got a random 35 cent per hour raise a few months later, which I assume was them bumping up N03, but maybe not.

What exactly would you be selling if the floor hasn't been filled by everyone else that works there?
If you fired the entire flow team tomorrow, we'd still make sales. If you fired every cashier, nothing would get done because the entire salesfloor would be back up cashing, and we probably wouldn't make sense because the lines would be so long.

If you fired the whole flow team, the cashiers would have nothing to sell after a week!

And if you fired every cashier you'd have no one to sell anything today. Yeah you could back up from wherever, but the same exact thing could be said of flow.

The whole argument is silly, and I'm just a guest now. Having worked most everywhere in my store, minus recieving, signing, AP, and backroom (helped withe everything but never had a dedicated shift) here's how I'd rank your stress and difficulty of position:

1) GSA
2) Guest Services
3) Cashier
4) PA
5) Flow
6) Plano
6) Fitting room/operator
7) Sales floor
8) Cash Office (after training and getting comfortable, which would jump up pretty high)

I'm probably missing some workcenters I've done but this is just illustrative. Someone on this board probably has a list that is the exact mirrored opposite of mine. It's subjective.

The argument about which workcenter being eliminated would have the least or most immediate impact is likewise specious and mostly just a dick measuring contest. Eventually eliminate any major workcenter in the store and you'll cause problems, replenishment and front end are probably the two most critical to keeping things moving. You need to have product to sell and you need someone to sell it.

Anyway the paygrade thing was what started this, and that boils down to whatever corporate feels is worth a (largely symbolic) paygrade boost. Target is hardly a bastion of smart decisions when it comes to paygrades. Flow or starbucks making the same as a CO-trained GSA is hilarious in my opinion, but someone will probably disagree with that. In the end making the same as a hardworking cashier shouldn't be offensive to another TM working a solo effort elsewhere, at least in my opinion. What's much more insulting is the base wage in the first place.

I started this post to ask about minimum wage and now everyone is fighting lol

I believe everyone should have to work in every single work center at some point, therefor we can all stop placing the blame on others. I've had backroom yell at me for "scanning too much" as an instocks team member on a rescan day.... seriously?

QFT/

The one advantage to being the Signing Ninja was working all over the store and seeing what everyone did.
I can say that there is no position no more important than any other.
I think the place could function without a few of the ETLs but that's mostly the baduns.

I started this post to ask about minimum wage and now everyone is fighting lol

Precisely why we're not allowed to talk about our pay at work, lol.

QFT. Paygrades are going to be a sore subject for pretty much every TM because none of them are getting adequately compensated. Unless you ask corporate then they're lazy overpaid slobs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back