Archived Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a concern with the recent trend of raising minimum wage. Currently, the spots in my area pay 75 (recently changed to 25 bc of mw raise) cents above minimum wage, as the starter wage. However, next year the minimum wage of said area, will be rising an entire dollar, surpassing my current wage/hr at spot, will the wages that we all have raise to equal the new minimum wage, i.e. minimum wage was $5.00, you are getting paid $5.50, minimum wage raised to $6.00, will you get paid $6.50? And will spot raise their starter wage if the current starter wage is lower than what mw will be raised to? i.e. MW is $6.00 spot pays $7.00/hr mw raises to $7.00 will spot pay $8.00? And again will your current wage transfer equally?

I apologize if it's confusing, because it is VERY confusing to me, and making my mind go loco.

As far as I know, if you make less than minimum wage, you will be raised to that, and if you make more, then you will stay at your current wage. I've heard of varying policies from store to store though, so who knows.

At my first store (had 3 years of Reviews at the time), they raised all of the paygrades $0.50 more per hour. However, if you were already at or above the new wages, you got nothing.

It was a slap in the face that I got no raise, yet the newbies (including the newb GSA who just started) all got raises that brought them closer in line to my pay. So in short -- you can expect spot to just raise you to the new minimum wage and you'll make the same as the kid who just finished his orientation last week.

I haven't heard otherwise so this is what you can expect:

If you are above the minimum wage + differential from position and shift then you will get nothing.

If you are below the minimum wage + differential from position and shift then your wage will automatically increase to that start of the wage increase period.

I have never heard of raises being kept along. You will get screwed on this.

I haven't heard otherwise so this is what you can expect:

If you are above the minimum wage + differential from position and shift then you will get nothing.

If you are below the minimum wage + differential from position and shift then your wage will automatically increase to that start of the wage increase period.

I have never heard of raises being kept along. You will get screwed on this.

Bolded for emphasis....

That's standard whenever you go tbh. If Spot thinks you're only worth $9/hr, you're not going to get bumped up to $10 just because the new law says everyone has to make $9.

So in short -- you can expect spot to just raise you to the new minimum wage and you'll make the same as the kid who just finished his orientation last week.

This is what happened here as well.

I started at $7.40, which was minimum wage, I got two raises in my first 17 months, so was making $7.97, and then minimum wage went up to $8.15, and I went to exactly $8.15, not $8.72.

It's awesome to be training people that make exactly as much as I do, or in the case of our new GSA, people that make more than I do.

Yeah so basically to make it easy, paygrade differentials do transfer to the new payscale. Merit based raises do not. So if you are an N03 (sales floor, cashier), and the minimum wage increases to more than you are currently making, expect to be making the new base pay which will probably = the new minimum wage. If you are N05/N07 (brand TM, flow, GSA, sbux, etc.) expect to be making base pay + whatever your paygrade difference is. $X + $0.25 or $0.50, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back