Movable Backroom Aisles

I saw this on a Reddit thread showing movable aisles.

Where are they ladders?

We have a lot of stuff up high because we have too much merchandise.

How to two people do pulls?

For example have can one TM do "1 for 1" when another needs to pull an OPU in the next aisle?

Attachments

• 4g6y4tg4u7081.jpg
    4g6y4tg4u7081.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Now I would have to move a ladder in and out of the aisles?

In the grocery aisles they pull a 100 hundred item batches and it takes them takes them twenty minutes.

We have that in opu . But no ladders not allowed to use upper location since supposed to be ladderless . They suck , you can not be two people on different aisles as you would crush them
We got them, too. It is sooo hard to turn the dials!!! I am trying to make up ways that this is actually efficient

I saw this on a Reddit thread showing movable aisles.

Where are they ladders?

We have a lot of stuff up high because we have too much merchandise.

How to two people do pulls?

For example have can one TM do "1 for 1" when another needs to pull an OPU in the next aisle?
🦺

Last edited:
I used to work at Walmart and we had movable aisles in the clothing backroom. We did not have a dial to move them though. They were electric and we pushed buttons to move them.

A friend of mine almost got trapped in one of these contraptions while helping out another store. Not a good experience. Of all the things that Spot could be investing their filthy lucre in this should rank about last, right behind left-handed smoke shifters. Trust Spot to make a difficult job even more difficult in its never ending quest for more control and efficiency, which generally ends in yet more chaos and wasted time. 🙄

I wonder if it would be more useful to just schedule a person to do pulls for the team in this case like an old backroom person. Open and closer to keep up. Idk it just seems like these aisle provide more problems then solutions.
Target does not like WIP (Work in Process) even though it is much more efficient to pull everything at once.

We have TM that pulls OOS at night so basically the old backroom person.

In another recent thread I complained about my interim ETL.

He said it much more important to have the store zoned and cleaned up than pulling batches.

The first thing I thought is corporate can see the the OOS and 1 for 1 numbers not whether the stored is zoned.

We have these movable aisles & they're a pain.
You'd be trying to backstock only to have someone close your aisle to pull something for fulfillment so you stand by until they're done.
They also have locks that are supposed to keep your aisle open while occupied but people will unlock them & start to crank until someone starts yelling.
Also some of the crank mechanisms get stripped out after awhile so you have to push while cranking.

My store recently got these through a remodel. Yes, they are a pain. Only a portion of my backroom has them. I told my Fulfillment team that if someone is already pulling in those aisles, and their item is backstocked in that range, to skip that item and get it off the floor instead.

On the efficiency note, say you need to open aisle 5, but aisle 1 is already open in the block, all you have to do is unlock (push the center button) and give a slight crank to aisles 2, 3, 4. For aisle 5, unlock it, and keep cranking until you have enough room to get in. Because you already unlocked 2, 3, and 4, your cranking motion from 5 will actually keep pushing those aisles over. (What I'm trying to say is that you don't need to fully crank aisle 2 into 1, 3 into 2, 4 into 3... just do all of it on 5 with this technique.)

Yeah, I love how Target is all "efficiency, Efficiency, EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY!!!!" and these things are unbelievably counter-productive.

With my remodel we got 2 bays of movable aisles. Each bay has 5 aisles.

Original direction was to prioritize putting slower moving merchandise into the moveable shelving. Essentially not putting things like, baby, dry, etc that generate higher ofos more quickly.

It's honestly been rough. We staff ofos by bay. So the same person is in one section of movable aisles at a time. It gets tough when say, someone needs something for an opu, or to backstock. I usually have the team member go push what they have and come back instead of just standing there if it's going to be a while.

Also tried having a puller with a two pulls going at once to go back and forth if one bay is being used, they swap.

The biggest nightmare is when an aisle breaks... and you can't get into it until it's repaired.

Back