Archived New Backroom/Instocks team lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo! The bckrm tl before me was a young kid that left to focus on school. I had only been with target as a backroom tm for 7ish months when they promoted me to TL. I have received little to no training; I am kind of just flying by the seat of my pants. I know the backroom pretty well, but I am now heading the instocks team and know little to nothing. I shoot with them occasionally, hand down directions from my etls, but I am at a loss of really what is my role as an instocks TL. There isn't anyone at my store who has lots of instocks experience, so I am lacking guidance.

I suppose my vague question is: How do I manage the instocks team?

There pretty much manage them selves. Just give them a weekly goal of scans that they should be doing a week. It depends on the store. Partner with your etl or stl to see what that number would be.I'm a 6am process 30million/year store and my goal for my team is 5k scans/week. You can also do audits and check random out's in sections they did the day before. Also they should be the drastic counts reports. We have a binder for them to put the paper in once completed.

And since weekends there's only rigs I usually have them scan areas that get shopped heavy day before.

Congrats! Speaking as a former instocks TM, one of the biggest things you can do is communicate with your team, make sure they're doing their stuff (scanning, drastic count reports, PTM if that's still an instocks thing?). And when they're finding problems on the shelves, addressing those with the rest of the store.

I'd definitely suggest spending more time with them too, try to get a good understanding of what they do. That was one of the issues I had with my TL, he was pretty much exclusively focused on the backroom. If you brought up something specific up with him he'd do his best to help but you'd have to spend a few minutes each time explaining a bunch of stuff first.

There pretty much manage them selves. Just give them a weekly goal of scans that they should be doing a week. It depends on the store. Partner with your etl or stl to see what that number would be.I'm a 6am process 30million/year store and my goal for my team is 5k scans/week. You can also do audits and check random out's in sections they did the day before. Also they should be the drastic counts reports. We have a binder for them to put the paper in once completed.
How many hours does your instocks team get in a regular shift? I usually get around 1200 scans a week at four and a half hour shifts.... How do you get five thousand scans? We also have to pull and push all of our Merch though

How many hours does your instocks team get in a regular shift? I usually get around 1200 scans a week at four and a half hour shifts.... How do you get five thousand scans? We also have to pull and push all of our Merch though

I didn't mean 5k each tm. I meant 5k as a team. They work 7-8 hours.

Ill have to ask my instocks guy how much we shoot at my store. He usually is there 7-8 hours a day monday through friday and then we have two shorter shifts on the weekend to do RIGs. Its rare there is more than one person doing instocks and he has to pull and push all his scans. Although in a given day we have 30-1 hour working opening huddle at 8 and midday zone around noon for at least another 30 min. Then there is the fact he usually has to cover electronics crap because for some stupid reason we only have electronics coverage from 11-8 at my store

Ill have to ask my instocks guy how much we shoot at my store. He usually is there 7-8 hours a day monday through friday and then we have two shorter shifts on the weekend to do RIGs. Its rare there is more than one person doing instocks and he has to pull and push all his scans. Although in a given day we have 30-1 hour working opening huddle at 8 and midday zone around noon for at least another 30 min. Then there is the fact he usually has to cover electronics crap because for some stupid reason we only have electronics coverage from 11-8 at my store

I hate that they use instocks team for everything and then wonder why they don't finish there work. Other day lod said we need to plan for them to finish. I told them I had The perfect plan.... stop calling them for every fing thing and let them scan pull and push.

we have 2 instocks team members for 8 hrs. One shoots the other pulls. They do help flow/backroom if needed for a little bit but for the most part they are on instocks.

This why people hate target. They promote people who know nothing about the job while people who do know are kept on the bench or simply prevented from promoting

I'm so insanely jealous that you guys have such long shifts. The only time we have that long of a shift is when we are doing sfq's. I'd love if we had to people on for 7-8 hours.

I'd have to ask the current instocks team (half of them I don't know anymore) but I think they get about 2 TMs a day with ~4 hours each. Mostly to scan RIGs then push challenge and maybe PTMs? I don't think they really work on research as much these days.

Glad I escaped that mess. They've started scanning at 8, while flow is still pushing GM truck, drastics probably haven't been touched in months, etc. It'd drive me crazy.

Partner with your instocks team...log onto workbench and look at your numbers...rigs need to be 100%. Know what days your scanning what and make sure push from truck and backstock is done for the area your scanning. My 8am does the research/ exf pulls and instocks pushes. I get 75 hours for instocks and I'm there 2 times a week for 7.5 hour shifts. Make sure they are verifying capacities...you want to try and finish scans by 11 and Mondays we drop PTM and pull/push as well as checking drastic count daily . Any questions just ask :)

I know little to nothing about instocks also and I've asked to learn it but my TL seems to think I won't like it. I think my TL is afraid of me outing him and taking over haha. But no seriously, good luck and backroom is the spine of the store. Be strong! Be fast! Be smart! Stand up against your backroom being a dumping ground for the store!:)

This why people hate target. They promote people who know nothing about the job while people who do know are kept on the bench or simply prevented from promoting
I've noticed that..i think it may be because by promoting somebody very new they are promoting sombody who is able to be molded to what the ETL desires. Idk tho

I was in your situation. I learned a lot from work bench, by asking questions, and by trial and error. Too much to type out here, feel free to message me and we can chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back