MEGATHREAD New POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I think the biggest problem we faced with the whole new POS was how they pushed it out before most of the features were there. At this point, the new POS is lightyears superior to the classic.

- Faster
- More stable
- In turn, means fewer restarts
- Plus much faster restarts
-PLUS quick restarts
- Smarter features (auto ticket generation)
- MUCH friendlier UI
- TPay
- Less fraud because only TLs can do overrides now
- All one version compared to previous POS. (like how SBUX was a different version)

Yeah, my post was part sarcasm too. And the disaster of New POS in 2020 blinds judgement a bit because it was sooo bad then.
Say they waited until the Summer or Fall of 2021 to introduce New POS the way it was a few months ago, rather that in 2019 and 2020, with rollout being over the course say August 2021-Feb 2022 rather than late 2019-Feb 2022, I think New POS would be more liked, having Linux and Tpay, for smarter and better responsiveness, and having almost all features, and arriving close together than the long timetable that was the New POS Deployment and Rollout Plan.
Announcement and initial pilot and testing in mid-2019, the lazy and haphazard existence of eSCO in early 2020, expanded rollout to the majority of the Front Lanes at stores in Spring/Summer 2020, Starbucks in Late 2020, Food Avenue/Liquor/Jewelry/Deli/Bakery in Winter/Spring 2021, Electronics in the Summer, Pharmacy in the Fall, SCO in the past month, and Guest Services/Order Pickup about to be finished in a week. The constant delays, from being at 100% chainwide by EOY 2019, before realizing that it’s nowhere close to being done or functional, to being 100% by EOY 2020 before COVID became a thing, to being 100% before Q4 2021, before bungling the GS app and SCO NCR development.
Combining the state of New POS back then, along with the almost three year rollout, yeah, it wouldn’t be as hated if they just waited until a vast majority of it was done. If they say made half of every register type per store update to New POS within the past few months while they are close to complete, followed by fixing remaining bugs and adding needed features, then making them all 100%, things would for sure have been better.

I went to a store that was meant to be a small form store but is actually one of the busiest and their SCOs were on the old version. Are there any stores that have the eSCO?

What is eSCO?

We got 2 SCOs converted today (NCR). Can you do WIC on them? I'm going to try it next chance I get.

What is eSCO?

Here ya go: MEGATHREAD - New POS - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/new-pos.26429/page-34#post-639645
In short, eSCO is the SCO software that's been in stores for the past two years.

We got 2 SCOs converted today (NCR). Can you do WIC on them? I'm going to try it next chance I get.

IDK, but I don't see why not. It runs off the exact same software as the Lanes, and Store Mode is just the Checkout app. So you SHOULD be able to, bot don't take my word on it.

Also something that I totally forgot about on the old Electronics registers was how you can have it set up to auto kick you out after every transaction. I miss that but at the same time fuck that.

the new Starbucks is a million times better
I beg to differ.
For some reason Starbucks gift cards no longer able to be swiped, meaning we have to manually key in gold cards & cards without barcodes. Seeing that Visa/Amex gift cards can be swiped why the hell can't they extend this to SB gift cards too?
Also, while the menu layout may be more 'organized' it's def more steps to go thru than before.

I beg to differ.
For some reason Starbucks gift cards no longer able to be swiped, meaning we have to manually key in gold cards & cards without barcodes. Seeing that Visa/Amex gift cards can be swiped why the hell can't they extend this to SB gift cards too?
Also, while the menu layout may be more 'organized' it's def more steps to go thru than before.
I mean they threw me in SBUX for a day because they wanted me to push buttons on the POS and I figured it out perfectly! That is honestly probably a oversight

Electronics registers was how you can have it set up to auto kick you out after every transaction
You could throw any register in Classic POS in that mode. I think it was called “Speed Ringing” - if you turned it off, it logged you out after every transaction.
I do miss that in Tech.

Paired with the fact that:
  • The Speed ID is just a quick way to type in your TM number but you still have to type in your PIN (in Classic POS, it only prompted for a PIN at random times if you had K4 GSTL rights)
  • Hamburger button > Logout - “Are you sure you want to log off? You’ll lose any unsaved progress.” WHAT PROGRESS?! I have scanned nothing! Just log me out!!!!!
I hate the new logout process at Tech.

The self-checkout pos machines are such a pain with the new software update. There's cursors on the screen and if you don't get it positioned the right way it won't advance to the next screen. As a result we've had issues with one machine not accepting cash no matter how many times it's been rebooted and some Team Leads have no idea how to reset it

The self-checkout pos machines are such a pain with the new software update. There's cursors on the screen and if you don't get it positioned the right way it won't advance to the next screen. As a result we've had issues with one machine not accepting cash no matter how many times it's been rebooted and some Team Leads have no idea how to reset it
Run a calibration from the Device something or other app on the home page.

You probably have the same issue my store has. You need new bill dispensers to be compatible with new POS. Reach out to your NCR Tech as soon as possible and ask about them because there is quite the waiting list for parts.

As for calibration you can do a touch screen calibration in Device Status but yeah idk why they have a cursor on a touch screen interface.. that should be fixed to be hidden

You probably have the same issue my store has. You need new bill dispensers to be compatible with new POS. Reach out to your NCR Tech as soon as possible and ask about them because there is quite the waiting list for parts.

As for calibration you can do a touch screen calibration in Device Status but yeah idk why they have a cursor on a touch screen interface.. that should be fixed to be hidden
honestly, kinda worried that spot will just say" OKAY WE FINISH SCO AND POA SO NO CLASSIC" and you can't set up tm ID's anymore if you're a store with the old SCO (because of hardware limitations).
If we're being real. Why doesn't spot just make supported drivers for the old bill dispensers? Wouldn't it be cheaper than to pay NCR? Just thinking out loud IG.

Also fuck NCR, I wanted to apply for a technician role and I have to be 21 :(

honestly, kinda worried that spot will just say" OKAY WE FINISH SCO AND POA SO NO CLASSIC" and you can't set up tm ID's anymore if you're a store with the old SCO (because of hardware limitations).
If we're being real. Why doesn't spot just make supported drivers for the old bill dispensers? Wouldn't it be cheaper than to pay NCR? Just thinking out loud IG.

Also fuck NCR, I wanted to apply for a technician role and I have to be 21 :(
Classic will remain in any store that still has old sco. but once you get new SCO and POA, bye classic.

I’m interested how the teams transitioned to writing this POS and new “apps” on a Linux system when all their Software Engineers have been working on a Windows based OS with I’m assuming 32bit Windows code.

Im assuming they are probably booting an Android emulator in the Linux environment and having their engineers full Android developers and retiring all their Windows codebases.

Unless these are entirely different teams that must have been quite the change.

I’m interested how the teams transitioned to writing this POS and new “apps” on a Linux system when all their Software Engineers have been working on a Windows based OS with I’m assuming 32bit Windows code.

Im assuming they are probably booting an Android emulator in the Linux environment and having their engineers full Android developers and retiring all their Windows codebases.

Unless these are entirely different teams that must have been quite the change.
well classic hasn't really changed all that much in years. since I've worked here (5 years, wow) it's only ever been super small features or bug fixes

My store finally got payment on account this week. We still have the old POS, even though we have new SCO and POA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back