Archived Newly Hired ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I just recently got hired on as an ETL and am very excited. I have over 10 years retail management experience with over 3 in Big Box stores. Looking forward to working for Target. Still working on my degree as I am still with the Army Reserves. That has been my primary focus the last 10 years.

I am looking for any advice, suggestions and some good vibes before I head to orientation and Business College this coming Monday.

What is Business College going to be like? A lot of new graduates? ETLs from many districts all together? How many people do they put through Business a college at once?

Thanks for answering my questions and for the advice. See you around.

Just understand that whatever job description they advertised to you to get you hired is completely different from what you're actually going to be expected to do :D. Good luck!

Just understand that whatever job description they advertised to you to get you hired is completely different from what you're actually going to be expected to do :D. Good luck!

aye it's more like herding a bunch of cats while managing the expectations coming from a bunch of delusional rocks

From another thread:
The job is not bad if you like retail and plan on making a career out of it. It's also not bad to have it on your resume for later employment opportunities. Several ETLs love it and some don't. I didn't like where the company was and where it was going. It went down hill since 2003 ( when I was a TM before college).

ETL didn't fit with my life style. I enjoy weekends off and eating dinner every night with my wife and kids. Also spending time coaching and watching local sports. As an overnight ETL-Log of a AA+ volume store I didn't have the work/life balance I needed. And their benefits weren't what we were used to.

Every store offers a different experience so take other ETLs' experiences with a grain of salt. If you're new to the company then your greatest resources are your TLs and TMs. Apply what they know with the garbage corporate teaches. You'll find that a best practice doesn't always mean best solution. Long term TMs and TLs know the business the best and can help you become a better leader.
Thanks mhugh220

From another thread:

- Look for the root cause to the problems you notice. If you have something that is going wrong in your area (missing Unload Goal Times for Log, missing REDcard goals for GE, missing TWT goals in HL etc), always look for the underlying reason this is an issue. Many ETLs think, "Oh, we are missing Unload Goal Times, so I am going to spend the next month pumping the team up".... but this isn't addressing the problem. There is likely something wrong with the line (amount of people, roles not defined on the line, bad custom blocking) that is causing the problem, and those need to be fixed. Don't be a band-aid, be the permanent solution.
- If you are telling someone to do something, always follow it with "because"... this makes it sound like you are teaching the team, not demanding them.
- Remember to think long-term over short-term. Don't make decisions on what is going to make YOUR life easier, make decisions on what is going to make the next ETL's life easier after you leave. That is how you know you are making the right decisions.

Thanks Rock Lobster,

From another thread:
You are an hourly employee until the end of business college (6 weeks). As long as you clock in 50 hours you will get paid the salary offered to you. Remember to get as close to 5o as possible so you get your full paycheck. Your first 2-3 days will be in a classroom setting with other ETLs. You'll learn a few hot topics about Target - mostly HR (how to treat your TMs), some AP stuff, and most definitely about how Target is pro-team not anti-union. You'll probably learn a lot about the new initiative they are introducing at the time. I came in during the VIBE so we learned a lot about that. This will be from 9am-5pm each day, maybe less depending on the person teaching it.

On your 3rd or 4th day you will start at your training store. Here you will shadow an ETL (in your case HR) for the next 6 weeks (minus 3 days). Your training will be a combination of computer-based and hands-on training. Your schedule will mirror your trainer's schedule. So no more 9am-5pm. One day may be early morning and the next could be closing, or closing then opening. Just depends on how your store does ETL scheduling.

You'll learn a lot over the next 6 weeks. You won't learn everything but a good amount about the fundamentals of leadership and expectations at Target. There will be a few days during this training that you will be back in the classroom. Those dates will be determined later.

After the 6 weeks, if assigned to a store with a vacancy, you will start at your new store. Here you will shadow the STL and perform LOD duties. Training is set at two weeks of LOD duties but some stores extend that for new ETLs. If you don't have a vacancy then you will either stay at your training store or go to another store as an extra ETL until your position is opened.

Once you are in role, which technically begins on your first day at your assigned store, you are no longer in training and will now be salary (no more clocking in).
Thanks
Mhugh220

As a 4 year tm, 2 of them as a team lead, I will tell you this. I've had to many etls fly in like they're god's gift to retail. They are not. Those etls are gone now.

In army terms, an etl is an officer. A 2nd lt, really. But team leads are your nco's. We know how to get shit done and how to get our team members to get things done.

We're going to do what we're told to do, but we can tell you right away if it's realistic or not. You would be wise to take our opinions into account.

Etls that listen and communicate well do well. Etls that get their hands dirty will do even better. Work hands on with your team when possible, and don't be a boss. Be a leader.

Your team can see through bs, so if you don't give any out, they will respect your honesty.

1. Change your name. A simple google search pretty much gives you away.

2. Good luck.
Yea, Spot is rumored (probably does) watch this site and does not like people on here discussing how it operates.

Being an ETL, depending on the position, you might spend about 20% of your time in your actual work center and the rest of your time acting as a floor manager
.....Change your name on here, especially if you get a position as an ETL-AP.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I totally spaced the name thing last night at midnight when registering. Working on getting it changed.

What is the most sought after position as an ETL? I haven't been told what store or what department I'll be in charge of but curious to know pros and cons of them all.

What is the most sought after position as an ETL? I haven't been told what store or what department I'll be in charge of but curious to know pros and cons of them all.

Fun question, I am not an ETL but if I could rank them in terms of desireability.

For me personally I would say HR and AP would be my top choices (even though the latter is reportedly being phased out). In the biggest stores HR and AP can avoid LOD shifts and still make an executive salary.

AP is great because of the opportunities. I helped my ETL AP nab someone and the adrenaline rush was amazing. I was kinda jealous that's his job each day? Being a detective in a way and I do believe it's a job that could translate well outside of Target. Biggest challenge is probably that while you can apprehend a criminal. Target is also very conscious of a lawsuit and some AP folks on here report feeling like their hands are tied behind their back.

HR is also amazing for Target. You get to connect with people and it's really great experience getting to manage over a 100 people at a F500 company. Also someone put this so well earlier, ETL HRs often leave Target for really good jobs since they get executive human resource experience which is required in the corporate world for HR jobs. Also Target has fairly lenient hiring standards. If you hired someone with a criminal record at Microsoft it might cost you your job but Target is very good about giving people a shot. HRs job is to throw fun events for the team, maintain paperework, increase hiring flow and keep a pulse on the team. I know lur, acapaia and Mars love their jobs and we are simply tms

Of the other ETL positions

ETL Ops - not many stores have them and they are being phased out already but its easy. You have plano, pricing, backroom day and instocks. At my store all our tms in those work centers were highly competent hardlines, softlines, cashiers who moved up. Those positions are rarely external hires. So while my store has plenty of hardlines cashiers and softlines people who are bums all our plano pricing backroom day and instocks people earned their job and excel at it. Even with our ops getting let go we have run very smoothly because of great team leads. Our ETL Ops never did anything by the way. 60K to sit on her phone and text.

EtL Log really depends. In an overnight store its great. My log has 4 days on and 3 off. Unlike the others ETLs who do 5 on and 2 off. ETL log at a 4am or 6am store is a lot more difficult IMO. You have not just a huge flow team and a backroom early morning but also pricing, instocks, plano, and regular backroom. Very stressful stuff.

ETL hardlines and softlines. I don't know too much about these positions. The nice thing is a lot of these ETLs get multiple team leads. We have 3 in each. I wouldn't like this job though because they often get a lot of external hires which means a lot of hit and miss. Turnover for their teams is generally pretty high.

Worst ETL position IMO is no question ETL GE. Not that it's hard but it's just kinda bs how if your team doesn't sell red cards your are a failure. My old ETL ge would do push-ups on a lane if we sold red cards. It was embarrassing. He would also be like "Hey team if we sell 20 red cards today we can meet our goal, when we had 20 for the whole week prior" Our ETL ge now is a nice gal but she's a cheerleader type and it's kind of lame. Our SR GSTL is respected and she makes things tick.

Last edited:
I always respect any ETL if they respect fellow TMs/ TLs.

Also, talk to everyone, get to know them, even if it's just a few minutes. It'll help a lot in getting everyone acquainted with you.

That way down the line communication will be a lot easier.

ETLs around here are ruining our store. Idk what business college they send them to but good God it must be an at home skype group lol.

Ours is doing so poorly that its rumored were being shut down at the end of 2017.

So my advice to you, listen to your TMs. Theyve got good ideas, respect the job, the practice and don't let power take over your heart of the company. Good sales are about making every guest feel the company cares for providing great service to them. Not all about some rediculous metric you have next to zero control over on a computer screen. Oh yeah, you're a leader in a fast moving business with lots of stress itl be your job to set examples. You're also not a celebrity.

Last edited:
No one is a celebrity in my book. Even in the Army, I'm always working side by side with my soldiers. Get my hands dirty with them. I want them to know they can count on me no matter what and I'll be there when things get tough. I have always taken that approach to all positions I've held.

I have heard horror stories about young college grads coming out of business college thinking they know everything and their "stuff" don't stink. I plan on going into training and my new store and get a good feel for how things work. How TLs and TMs work. I'm not going in wth the mind set I'm better or more powerful, I'm more of a "Team" kind of guy. We all have to work together to get the job done. Just like the military. Only as strong as your weakest link.

Thanks for all the info guys!! Much appreciated.

Fun question, I am not an ETL but if I could rank them in terms of desireability.

For me personally I would say HR and AP would be my top choices (even though the latter is reportedly being phased out). In the biggest stores HR and AP can avoid LOD shifts and still make an executive salary.

AP is great because of the opportunities. I helped my ETL AP nab someone and the adrenaline rush was amazing. I was kinda jealous that's his job each day? Being a detective in a way and I do believe it's a job that could translate well outside of Target. Biggest challenge is probably that while you can apprehend a criminal. Target is also very conscious of a lawsuit and some AP folks on here report feeling like their hands are tied behind their back.

HR is also amazing for Target. You get to connect with people and it's really great experience getting to manage over a 100 people at a F500 company. Also someone put this so well earlier, ETL HRs often leave Target for really good jobs since they get executive human resource experience which is required in the corporate world for HR jobs. Also Target has fairly lenient hiring standards. If you hired someone with a criminal record at Microsoft it might cost you your job but Target is very good about giving people a shot. HRs job is to throw fun events for the team, maintain paperework, increase hiring flow and keep a pulse on the team. I know lur, acapaia and Mars love their jobs and we are simply tms

Of the other ETL positions

ETL Ops - not many stores have them and they are being phased out already but its easy. You have plano, pricing, backroom day and instocks. At my store all our tms in those work centers were highly competent hardlines, softlines, cashiers who moved up. Those positions are rarely external hires. So while my store has plenty of hardlines cashiers and softlines people who are bums all our plano pricing backroom day and instocks people earned their job and excel at it. Even with our ops getting let go we have run very smoothly because of great team leads. Our ETL Ops never did anything by the way. 60K to sit on her phone and text.

EtL Log really depends. In an overnight store its great. My log has 4 days on and 3 off. Unlike the others ETLs who do 5 on and 2 off. ETL log at a 4am or 6am store is a lot more difficult IMO. You have not just a huge flow team and a backroom early morning but also pricing, instocks, plano, and regular backroom. Very stressful stuff.

ETL hardlines and softlines. I don't know too much about these positions. The nice thing is a lot of these ETLs get multiple team leads. We have 3 in each. I wouldn't like this job though because they often get a lot of external hires which means a lot of hit and miss. Turnover for their teams is generally pretty high.

Worst ETL position IMO is no question ETL GE. Not that it's hard but it's just kinda bs how if your team doesn't sell red cards your are a failure. My old ETL ge would do push-ups on a lane if we sold red cards. It was embarrassing. He would also be like "Hey team if we sell 20 red cards today we can meet our goal, when we had 20 for the whole week prior" Our ETL ge now is a nice gal but she's a cheerleader type and it's kind of lame. Our SR GSTL is respected and she makes things tick.

As someone who has done half of these ETL positions, I would say I would 100% never do Overnight Logistics again. It is by far the worst position I have done and the stress of it was terrible. Sure you get some days off, but I spent them catching up on sleep or laundry since during my stretch I would sleep, eat, and work nothing more. Target doesn't pay well so most good hires are part time, and it's easier to find part time 4am people than overnight. The quality of employee is vastly different and I often spent 8-10 hours just running freight.

I also disliked AP. If you want to be a good ETL you help out the store. If you want to be good at AP you have to ignore the store and focus on theft. The two were often mutually exclusive and I didn't like being a rent a cop.

Unless you're single with no kids and don't desire a social life you probably don't want ETL logistics, especially overnight.

HR, and to a certain extent AP, are two roles that the experience will help for future jobs. The rest of the roles not so much. However HR isn't for everyone. With your military background I would say AP would be a good fit for you. However depending on the district you end up in those roles pretty soon will be nonexistent. If your district has a bunch of high risk stores the chance you get one of those roles increases.

. The quality of employee is vastly different and I often spent 8-10 hours just running freight.

I'll definitely agree with that, our overnight flow team is a piece of work. They never finish things on time and use the store being closed as an excuse to not work professionally.

I just imagine ETL log without having pricing, plano, backroom day, instocks would be easier. For 4 am ETL logs you by far have the biggest team in the store.

Interesting that the extra day off isn't worth it. Our ETL log works Monday thru Thursday but has Friday Saturday and Sunday off. Even with the backwards hours I figure I could talk myself into it knowing I am a manager who get weekends off in retail.

Even so, if it isn't worth it, I take your word for it.

Last edited:
and toss one more onto the pile of "stay far far away from ETL-LOGistics": our ETL-LOG is out for surgery for job related issues add to that the TL-LOG has had multiple LOA's for job related injuries to include stress related health complications. Logistics will grind you down

I'll definitely agree with that, our overnight flow team is a piece of work. They never finish things on time and use the store being closed as an excuse to not work professionally.

I just imagine ETL log without having pricing, plano, backroom day, instocks would be easier. For 4 am ETL logs you by far have the biggest team in the store.

Interesting that the extra day off isn't worth it. Our ETL log works Monday thru Thursday but has Friday Saturday and Sunday off. Even with the backwards hours I figure I could talk myself into it knowing I am a manager who get weekends off in retail.

Even so, if it isn't worth it, I take your word for it.

Idk what store lets their ETL-Log skip weekends but mine never had. I worked 5 days most of the time because we were always understaffed and rotated weekends. Even though I am in charge of more as a 4am log, the flow portion is exponentially a better process (faster, less payroll, less team leaders needed to run it) so being over the other processes is doable.

Idk what store lets their ETL-Log skip weekends but mine never had. I worked 5 days most of the time because we were always understaffed and rotated weekends. Even though I am in charge of more as a 4am log, the flow portion is exponentially a better process (faster, less payroll, less team leaders needed to run it) so being over the other processes is doable.

I think my etl log gets that schedule because we have a Sr tl in flow who works thursday thru tuesday.

But yeah from what you have shared a 4am process I am encouraged for my store

HR is also amazing for Target. You get to connect with people and it's really great experience getting to manage over a 100 people at a F500 company. Also someone put this so well earlier, ETL HRs often leave Target for really good jobs since they get executive human resource experience which is required in the corporate world for HR jobs. Also Target has fairly lenient hiring standards. If you hired someone with a criminal record at Microsoft it might cost you your job but Target is very good about
Couldn't agree with this more!! I was soft lines and then HR before becoming an STL and being promoted to my most recent position after that. When I "left" target, I had recruiters and companies reaching out to me left and right not because of my softlines or STL experience, but because of all of my HR experience with target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back