Archived Remodel starting tonight - tips, tricks, war stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which kind of remodel? I’ve been through the home remodel as part of their attempts to modernize hardlines.

Full-store remodel.

ETA: And we're a AA+ SuperTarget. Getting a liquor store (w00t!).

Full-store remodel.

ETA: And we're a AA+ SuperTarget. Getting a liquor store (w00t!).
Wow! Ok, here goes what I know from remodels at my store and one of the other local stores (neither is a SuperTarget so take it with a grain of salt). A lot of track lighting gets added into the ceilings over the home departments and softlines to accentuate new focals- softlines gets more mannequins in most cases about 3 per brand block in women’s and men’s and a mirror behind each mannequin focal. They add a lot more convertibles to most of softlines and in home over in hardlines. For instance, kitchen generally gets a good sized focal and/or convertibles, and some of the furniture aisles may be shortened or removed to add in convertibles and focal spaces for stuff like the latest Project 62 and Opalhouse collections. Softlines will have a lot more cross-merchandising on their convertibles so things may not always be in the areas you’re used to them being located and many things will have multiple locations, especially accessories. Overall Target’s recent remodel efforts seem to be intended to give more of a boutique feel to the Target experience.

Yeah, I've seen some pictures and I'm excited about the outcome, for sure. I'm curious about the next 4 months, though, and how much it's going to suck (or not).

Noise levels from the amount of drilling, removing and adding and welding of floor tiles, construction of gondolas, etc will likely suck big time. With that size store and remodel you’re probably going to have storage containers and/or trailers parked in a good portion of your parking lot for the months the remodel is happening. Contractors out the wazoo, too. You will grow to hate the sounds of the WAVE and scissor lifts if you don’t already. Most stores try to get the bulk of the remodeling work done overnight so some TLs and TMs may be scheduled then.

Are you overnight? Working on the remodel team or flow? Makes a difference in how it'll impact you. I work at a Super...and part of the overnight remodel team. We are right in the thick of it right now.

As a cashier, you will field complaints about the noise, and about how the guest can't find anything. There should be roaming tm "ambassadors" to tell guests where product is atm, but. . . .

"all we got, was this god damn, Stanchion"

Be prepared for the confused AF guests, the construction crew running around, extra team members, busier than ever bathrooms, departments being out of place and then moved some place again. Who knows where. A walk in liquor area.

My store is starting our remodel this summer. We’re getting the huge $10 million dollar remodel, supposedly Target’s biggest remodel ever. Excited but scared at the same time, lol

Last edited:
Ear plugs - some of the noise is just excruciating. No one will know where anything is on the floor because everything is in flux. If you work flow, pick labels will have little or no value. At my store, we now have support columns in odd places, which makes product placement a little weird on some shelves. You'll count down the days until it's finally all done.

My store is starting our remodel this summer. We’re getting the huge $10 million dollar remodel, supposedly Target’s biggest remodel ever. Excited but scared at the same time, lol
My store was 10 million remodel & finished last week.

All I can say is that the remodel process is pure hell. I've walked in to TSC when the overnight team arrives and it smells like someone swung a skunk around by the tail. There have been so many screw-ups that dayside team ends up accomplishing nothing, other than fixing issues from overnight. The construction teams are not great either. (though all of this is very much store and location dependent) Floor plan is totally non-sensical. During the remodel process, you will find out who the best ETL's are.

The worst thing about the new store layout is the lack of passthroughs from the front to the back of the store.

Dust, clutter, extension cords. Odors from sawing, drilling, grinding, solvents (think something that removes the carpet glue). No-walk zones due to overhead work. Uneven floors. Ladders, lifts, tools. And the lights will go out or be shut off with little or no warning. Blown fuses (be ready in perishables), no air conditioning or useless because part of the wall is now gone and the occasional fist fight between contractors or tms and contractors.
But hey hours if your lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back