Archived Rest periods between shifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a shift from 4:30 pm to 1 am and the next day from 9:15 am to 3:45. I was wondering if it was legal for Target to have that little of time between shifts, or if we at least get paid more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel like they should at least account for travel time.

you are getting an 8 hour break between shifts. at least, after midnight, your store may have a shift diff of a 1.00 for overnight shifts.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
The joys of clopening.
As long as they give you eight hours you are not able to complain and that's a company things because only a few states have any rules about it (there's a couple of threads about it, I just don't have patience).
Does it suck, yes.
But it happens a lot more to TL so don't feel too bad.

Welcome to The Break Room.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
Closer-openers are a B!TCH. I suggest go straight home. Take a Benedryl to knock you out and have 2 alarms to make sure you wake up.

Sometimes its helpful to put a Post It on that workcenter's opening breakdown saying you closed the night before.

Nobody has ever come up with a state law for minimum amount of hours between shifts in this forum. The 8 hour thing is an old Target rule that is sometimes followed, sometimes not. But you do have at least 8 hours, so you're good (even if it isn't ideal).

Cel

Jack of All Trades
I had 6 hours between 8+ hour shifts on Black Friday, I'd say an 8 hour gap isn't so bad.

Producer

HRTM
TM's routinely work splits. We've scheduled people to come in 6am - 10am and then come back at 12pm - 345pm. It's cases like that where I feel bad. But then again, it mostly happens during seasonal, so it's one of those necessary evils that we have to grin and bear for a little while. Just be thankful you're getting the hours.

buliSBI

Former Team Member
The 8 hour rule is a flexible company rule in order to keep state labor depts and unions happy.

It could be worse, I have known WalMart employees who work 12hrs and rest 6-8hrs, and come back for another 12hrs

A small handful of times, HR goofed and scheduled me for closing on Saturday, ending at 11 to 11:30, and early morning signing on Sunday, starting at 3 - 4. When I noticed ahead of time, I notified an ETL and got the schedule changed, which is an option you could try. They might take pity if you do have a long commute. A couple of times, I just sucked it up and either took a quick nap or powered through on coffee and power napped later. It's really not all that bad if only happens once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.