Archived Restructuring Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma7

Former ETL-All the Things
I thought this might be fun. Anyone have any ideas about how you would streamline processes, combine/create teams, or improve efficiency?

One thing I would do is combine all ETL-HL and ETL-SL into ETL-Salesfloor. Then I would make an ETL-Food a permanent spot in every super and PFresh. They would be over consumables (dry grocery, deli, produce, meat, bakery, frozen, dairy, and pets), food ave, and Starbucks. There are so many regulations and safety issues related to food that I feel like they need someone dedicated to it. I'd then combine GE with either the STL or the ETL-FOOD.

I'd also axe the Instocks team as we know it and restructure the pog and salesfloor teams' workload. The presentation team lead would essentially lead two teams: POG team would stay the same as it is, but there would be a merchandising team of two or three people. They would be responsible for maintaining company space areas (seasonal, mini, one spot, promo cartwell, whatever vacated guest service became if you're an IGS store), except the GSTLs would keep the check lane ends. Salesfloor would be responsible for scanning research. The task list would only be research and rigs, but it would go back to the certain divisions per day instead of certain divisions on certain days and certain divisions every day.

Last edited:
That was my first thought too! But I know hours and staffing aren't going to increase anytime soon Iol

I like your plan Sigma7! I can't stand the instocks process we currently have. All of SL is flex and we are a 7:30 process store. Anyone that says they get a "good scan" is a fool or a liar. Combinig HL and SL is good so you don't have that goofy instore rivalry between the two

I agree about Instocks. I've never worked on Instocks but it seems to be a horrible process. Our HL and SL are already combined under 1 ETL and it works. We do not need separate TL for Starbucks and Food Ave. I find that to be a waste.

I wouldn't mind if pricing had a weekly workload instead of daily. I feel like we scan certain endcaps 2 or 3 times a week because of the different divisions on different days. For example, our stationary and housewares always gets combined on endcaps so we end up scanning them at the beginning of the week and the end. Don't get me started on labels! Why can't we at least have all of the A labels on one day as opposed to every single day?

In our store, we have one ETL salesfloor, and GE falls to our STL.

But I agree, the instocks process is such a mess and needs a total revamp. With minimal hours, going back to certain departments on certain days makes the most sense, and it'd be much easier for the closing teams to know which areas to focus on for the zone. At least in my ULV, the entire store isn't getting zoned anymore, so if we knew that say, housewares and domestics gets researched on Tuesday mornings, it'd be totally doable to focus on that Monday nights.

finding a way to streamline the zone with the instocks process seems like such a no brainer but it just doesn't happen. there is just no way to get a solid scan when you have to spend 20 minutes in a 4ft section zoning it. It's crazy. i will say that our STL is cracking down on productivity and we are truly focusing on getting the job done!

We are a newer store and we only had an instocks team for a few months. All we do is the instocks task list daily and thats all. Our instocks arent that great since they our opportunity according to our DTL.

The fact is if everything esle was working right then you would not even need an instocks team. However, instead of doing the job right Target now shoots for half way doing the job faster and then faking some numbers. Way back when the stores were staffed and Team Leads shot their own areas once a week it took almost no time because you had a prefect zone, well pushed trucks and never any reshop laying around. You could shoot and pull it and almost never got much of anything. Then they started getting cheap and cutting hours so zoning became a joke and the flow team just rushes to finish to meet some goal that is not possible is they were really doing the job right. So they had to create an entire team to try and solve a problem they themselves created.

Definitely better staffing in the store.

I like nolongerspecial's idea for zoning. Maybe superzone departments based on the research schedule and pick up strays from other areas. The (larger) sales floor team could be split into two groups: one that focuses on the zone and one that helps guests and works re-shop. Excess cashiers could help the re-shop team when it's quiet and the front end is zoned.

For dayside logistics, there could be two groups that rotate pulling CAFs, pushing, and backstocking on an hourly basis. For example, group A pulls the 12s, pushes them, and backstocks. Group B handles the 1s, A does the 2s, etc. For P-Fresh and Super Targets, there would be a separate logistics team that only deals with fresh foods. If they're not pulling or backstocking, they could help with the periodic cleaning tasks, cull and audit dates in the stockrooms, and other such business.

*The above are intended for high-volume stores like mine with large CAFs, trashed aisles, and lots of guest traffic. For low-volume stores, personnel could be moved around as needed. Because there's always something that can be done.

Does anyone have ideas of how the PTM and clearance merchandising processes would be executed?

I wouldn't mind if pricing had a weekly workload instead of daily. I feel like we scan certain endcaps 2 or 3 times a week because of the different divisions on different days. For example, our stationary and housewares always gets combined on endcaps so we end up scanning them at the beginning of the week and the end. Don't get me started on labels! Why can't we at least have all of the A labels on one day as opposed to every single day?

I agree with this 1000%

The Instocks team was initially developed to identify areas of opportunity within OTHER store processes since they were not working. Prior to that there was a research team which did daily RIGs and departmental research that was a day ahead of the pricing team to ensure that all product was on the floor, thus keeping the price change pulls to a minimum. At our store we had one tm that was responsible for working PTM's based upon the MPG report that is available on online planogram. The IS team has served its original intent, but nothing has been done to utilize that information (unlocated backroom product, ineffective zone, TL's not managing their departments, planograms that are not tied correctly, multiple facings not being filled, revision labels not being put up, onandonandon....) All we hear is "scan more". Huh? FIX the problems!! I wish we'd go back to the original method. I also would get rid of the GSTL position since the front end is mainly run by GSA's who call the LOD for problems. I would change the truck schedule to have an overnight unload team from 10-4 and have the flow team come in at 4. The unload team would bowl the truck, work non-con and any leftover reshop. The flow team would be scheduled until 9 am and if they were finished with the truck and autofills would be cross-trained to backstock. There would be a completely separate food team to work those trucks. I would require the LOD to have equipment for every team that needs it and be responsible for actually handing it out. Too much time is spent "looking for equipment". Every TL and ETL would have to spend 1 week on the specialty teams (doing the job with no special breaks, etc.) so that they better understand the unique issues that arise when they don't manage their departments adequately. TL's would have the opportunity to have "departmental meetings" so that all of their tm's are on the same page all of the time. Visits from the DTL and higher would always include a 15 minute chat session with one tm from each team so that they get a groundfloor idea of what's really going on.

I'd also axe the Instocks team as we know it and restructure the pog and salesfloor teams' workload. The presentation team lead would essentially lead two teams: POG team would stay the same as it is, but there would be a merchandising team of two or three people. They would be responsible for maintaining company space areas (seasonal, mini, one spot, promo cartwell, whatever vacated guest service became if you're an IGS store), except the GSTLs would keep the check lane ends. Salesfloor would be responsible for scanning research.

I love this. Love it. Maybe have the merchandising team maintain the dual-located stuff when we have them in seasonal/mini, such as when we have the BTS stuff or like right now with the home storage.

I'm already responsible for scanning research in my area. One of the overnight ETLs quizzed me on a few things, such as the process on how to research, and when you should do so, and he pretty much is okay with me scanning research in my department near the end of the night, but only on the critical lows.

I'd like to add that my fictional "Food Squad" would be responsible for everything - unload, push, backstock, and research. They would be under the leadership of Sigma7's Food ETL.

I'd like to add that my fictional "Food Squad" would be responsible for everything - unload, push, backstock, and research. They would be under the leadership of Sigma7's Food ETL.

So, basically, brand team members for market?

Not really. There is no ordering, vendor interaction, PTM, zone or planogram setting/maintenance involved. I think that this "elite" team would ensure better FIFO, less QMOS, and the truck might be done before lunchtime. Research in PFresh is not supposed to occur until 20 minutes after backstocking so after 20 minutes part of the team could leave the backroom and be able to research the areas that are b-stocked. Although an entire "brand team" is a novel idea.

I think there are plenty of changes that would improve efficiency at Target! They have gotten too intricate with their processes and structures, and because of this we are weighed down in practice...

1) Streamline Truck Processes: Take all trucks to push all. Restructure payroll, unload line setup, and accumulator to this new process. Add an automatic accumulator reset to STO (hidden) so that if you are backstocking, the accumulator is told the item is full on the salesfloor. All your logistics problems solved around truck. Reevaluate truck times for the company to ensure guest satisfaction (6AM unloads understandable, 8AM is not).
2) Streamline Transition Processes: Currently we set an aisle (Presentation), Scan an aisle to fill it (Instocks), Merchandise an aisle as it breaks (Salesfloor), and Ticket an aisle as it goes clearance (Pricing), and Repeat. So many hands in the pot for a single (transition) process. Why not (like sigma said) break this down into simple pieces. Presentation TL can become "Transition TL" in small stores. Presentation Team sets the aisles, Merchandising Team is in charge of PTM and and Discontinued (including pulling clearance out of aisles before they are set), and Pricing Team is in charge of ticketing clearance, all overseen by the "Transition TL". As the store volume increases, bring in the Pricing TL who can then oversee the Merchandising and Pricing Teams (that way they know where they are putting the items they are going to ticket). Remove scanning completely from this role.
3) Restructure Instocks: Simplify the process and have it done at night. Scanning must be completed by 11PM, and any "batches" simply drop into autofills the next morning. Change scanning so that the Task List includes ALL 4ft sections that have ad product in them daily. This means that rainchecks and ad instocks are checked every single day and are the #1 priority (like it should be). Include this workload into payroll allocation for Salesfloor, because the workload is then based on ad size as its main contributor (and the areas scanned will be the most productive, due to the seasonal nature of the ad... so in BTS time, since ad is heavy in office/stat and seasonal, you will spend most your time scanning in those areas) Allow the store to designate rescan days as needed. The best execution of this would then be to have the TLOD/LOD own this list (might I suggest including all the lists into one big "Leadership" List with Price Audit, SDA, Urgent News etc consolidated into a Task List that the leader will complete aisle by aisle) and have them follow behind the wave zone (remember we just killed instocks and shifted the payroll into guest driven scheduling, meaning more team members). As they follow they will scan and walk zone at the same time, so they are getting the best scan possible (and can call back the team to touch up areas they missed). Presto, scanning is streamlined into a "zone walk, ad walk, price check" by the closing TL and LOD and all batches are worked by truck!
4) Salesfloor Scheduling: With all these changes, your salesfloor should be completely guest driven scheduled outside of your TLs. There are no massive pulls before 11AM (when we are slow) because Instocks had a rescan day and pulled a ton from the back, or a ton of PTMs for Hardlines to work, or any crazy workloads to get done. It has been simplified and the one TL has until 11AM to get tasks done (SP's) and then will have pulls and reshop during midday which is when their staffing is the highest.

This is about it... If those major changes happened, Target would definitely see a more efficient store. It is about keeping it simple and streamlined. I could continue with ideas (down to more details) but I feel like I am rambling... Hopefully Target is listening :p

Last edited:
I like your ideas on transitions rock, hopefully spot is reading this!

Our super target had many etl foods actually, the position does exist.

I know ETL-Food is a spot in supers. I actually had an ETL-Food and a Sr.ETL-Food at the super I worked at for a while; but now with the company remodeling all stores to PFresh, I think it's time to add one ETL-Food into the headcount of PFresh stores. And like I said, they would be over all of consumables and food service (and possibly GE).

1. Drop Flex Fulfillment and implement a site-to-store for online items instead. FF makes it to where a guest that was already going to come to the store can now head straight to the GS desk without passing by a single display. Site-to-store makes it to where a guest that may not have been planning to come in is now in our store. Brick and mortar stores thrive off of impulse buying and the best way to encourage that is to get more people in the doors. When almost all of the FF orders are ad items and owned brands, that tells me we're wasting payroll on people who were going to show up anyways.

2. To make #1 work, fix our .com warehouses. I have never been in one but I hear people complain all the time how poor our lead time is for online orders. The rumored ship-from-store expansions to FF tells me that corporate is just going to band-aid it by having the .com houses handle online only items and the stores handle the stuff that happens to be on hand. This is a terrible idea because stores are not set up for heavy shipping. Most don't have the space for the packaging materials to make a good shipping department.

Not really. There is no ordering, vendor interaction, PTM, zone or planogram setting/maintenance involved. I think that this "elite" team would ensure better FIFO, less QMOS, and the truck might be done before lunchtime. Research in PFresh is not supposed to occur until 20 minutes after backstocking so after 20 minutes part of the team could leave the backroom and be able to research the areas that are b-stocked. Although an entire "brand team" is a novel idea.

I love this. We are lucky to get freezer/dairy pallets done before everyone leaves at 11. Then we as PA's are stuck with anywhere from2-4 pallets of produce (depending on how much we ordered). We typically research on non-truck days, but only in the meat/produce areas. Instocks, who the hell knows when the last time they've gone through freezer/dairy.
And don't get me started on backstock in my coolers. I had 3 metros of lunchmeat/lunchables etc that sat for a WEEK before they got backstocked. We had a visit the other day and I almost cried everything looked so good as far as backstock. I know I should have taken pictures because it's just gonna go back to how it was.

I also agree with getting rid of/changing instocks. It doesn't work the way it is now. Hell half the time our team comes in at 6 or 7, pushes truck for 4 or 5 hours, and then scans the last like 2 hours of their shift.

I would also be all for an ETL-Food. Seriously. While I love my ETL HL, sometimes they are too busy worrying about the rest of the store and can't always be there for issues that I have.

For dayside logistics, there could be two groups that rotate pulling CAFs, pushing, and backstocking on an hourly basis. For example, group A pulls the 12s, pushes them, and backstocks. Group B handles the 1s, A does the 2s, etc. For P-Fresh and Super Targets, there would be a separate logistics team that only deals with fresh foods. If they're not pulling or backstocking, they could help with the periodic cleaning tasks, cull and audit dates in the stockrooms, and other such business.

*The above are intended for high-volume stores like mine with large CAFs, trashed aisles, and lots of guest traffic. For low-volume stores, personnel could be moved around as needed. Because there's always something that can be done.

The 12s are typically too large to be able to split the team into rotating like that, not to mention break/lunch coverage. I hate the idea of having the backroom push at all unless the store is ULV. Our store is AA and they decided to make us push the CAFs a few months ago and it has completely broken our dayside process. What we do is only keep just enough people in the back to finish the pulls on time and send everyone else to push. Backstocking only happens if we are horribly missing sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back